Video Game Items Aren't Marital Assets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Some lady in China got smacked down by the courts when she requested half the virtual video game assets she shared with her husband. The judge must have been a WoW player and didn't want to see the guy lose his virtual mount on top of losing his real life mount. :D

A new candidate for membership in the unusual divorce settlement club: a judge in China has reportedly denied a woman's claim that she owns half of the virtual assets accrued during her marriage.

Hey, this is China! Those "virtual video game assets" may be worth real money.

If she kept his cheezie bowl full, and kept the beer/cola/energy drinks flowing during epic sessions, then she should get half.

Cheers!

a woman out for vengeance in all ways possible... we've never seen that...

Interesting. So if you're married in China and you think your wife is going to divorce you, buy some property in Second Life that you can resell afterwards I guess.

My ex tried to take over my Steam account a few days after she emptied my house. Thank goodness for changing the password on my verified email.

cheating whore. :mad:

But... however is she going to start her own gold selling business without that initial virtual capital

Actually the article says when they got married they merged assets under one account (eg moved her pre-existing game characters to his account), but then they never 'clicked' in real life like they did online where they met each other. She was wanting the characters she levelled up back off his account.

Actually the article says when they got married they merged assets under one account (eg moved her pre-existing game characters to his account), but then they never 'clicked' in real life like they did online where they met each other. She was wanting the characters she levelled up back off his account.

Something doesn't make sense.. if you wanted to play together, you need 2 separate accounts. Its also unknown to me that any MMO out there offers the transfers of characters between accounts, and I've been an avid MMO consumer for many years.

Something doesn't add up.

The judge must have been a WoW player and didn't want to see the guy lose his virtual mount on top of losing his real life mount.

I lol'ed.

I think this is something laws and society is going to have to address more and more in the future. As we can see digital and virtual property can now carry very real value. Also more and more what were traditionally physical goods/property are becoming digitized/virtual.

Something doesn't make sense.. if you wanted to play together, you need 2 separate accounts. Its also unknown to me that any MMO out there offers the transfers of characters between accounts, and I've been an avid MMO consumer for many years.

Something doesn't add up.

IT was probably an indigenous MMO; and priced to reflect that Chinese gamers are much poorer than western gamers. A household discount rate would help suck customers in. With the number of internet users growing so fast they don't have to concentrate on extorting more money per customer yet to keep growth rates high.

Hmm, that gives me an idea. Obviously we can't pay them back for our debts with real money. So why not MMO money? :)

Good idea. The government can get Blizzard to pay off our debt to China through WOW gold.

Hmm, that gives me an idea. Obviously we can't pay them back for our debts with real money. So why not MMO money? :)

What do you call these tax coupons Bernanke is printing?

really? you just now figured that out?

If some girl sued me for half of a video game account, I would be wondering how pathetic I was beforehand to actually marry a woman like that.

She must be 225+ pounds, easy.....

Back