Video Gets choppy at high res.

sohcugy

Limp Gawd
Whenever I play videos that are a low resolution like 400X300 or so, Windows media player is fine but when I try to play videos higher in resolution they get jumpy. Is there some kinda setting I can use to make my video card take more of the load or something. I have an FX5500 256meg, XP3200+, 1 gig of PC2700(getting PC3200 as soon as I can "arrange" it). CPU useage jumps from 35-60percent. I will be getting a 6600GT or 6800NU in the next month but I can't imagine that my video card can't handle video. I have a VIA KM400A Chipset. Any suggestions?

What drivers are you using? Try the 66.72 drivers (or whatever they are). Dont try the 66.91 or 66.93 ones, though, I hear they are causing problems.

Also, try another player. Personally I like Windows Media Player Classic, which is included with the k-lite codec pack (not related to kazaa lite). It works great.

I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers, I will try the 66.72drivers and see. Where can you get Windows Media Player classic from?

if the video your trying to watch was made at 400x300 when you full screen it or try to play it at a higher res it will get choppy, its liek lookin at a jpeg and zooming in the closer you get the crapper it looks, even if u resize a 400x300 jpeg it doesnt get clear, it just gets bigger, try this, get a dvix rip pack and rip your self a dvd, in the settings set it at 720x500 or something high, then play it...if it runs smooth then that sthe problem if not, try opening it with another player, sometimes media player stays running, if you listen to a song, close it , start another song, sometimes media player wont close the first and starts a new second, so in your task manager you might see 2 media processes...if i misunderstood the question sorry for the wrong answer, but your specs should play videos with no problem..

It's not the pixelation that I'm refering to, it's like, playing a game the higher the resolution the Video is the less FPS I'm getting so to speak. I have Nero Media player somewhere I'll try that.

I found Nero Showtime and it does play a bit better, but I want to try those earlier drivers, are they on geek.com or any similar site. Nvidia only has there new ones, as far as I could find.

Back