Video loss, "Frequency over range"

therapy

Gawd
Hey guys, this is either a video problem or a power supply problem or a motherboard problem, and I can't seem to figure out which.

Problem: My computer will not give me video for more than, say, 10 minutes. It will randomly crash to a screen that says either "Power Off in 5 Seconds" or "Frequency Over Range".

This is on a Viewsonic G90f. Anyway, this problem didn't happen for a long while. I've had this system with an identical setup for over a month, and never had this problem before.

Here's the description of what I've already tried:

-Tried reseating video card, doesn't seem to matter.
-Tried video card in another computer with a different monitor, so I know it's not the video card.
-Checked BIOS voltages, both 1.5 and 1.6 for AGP, didn't matter.
-Computer/AGP bus is not overclocked, running at standard speed.
-Installed different drivers, doesn't seem to matter.
-Seems to work fine in VGA mode, as far as I can tell.
-Sometimes the computer will stay in windows for an hour or more, and work fine. Sometimes it won't even boot all the way into windows.
-When monitor gives me this message, I hit various keyboard shortcuts to open folders, copy files, etc, and the hard drive light on the tower stays off. However, the numlock and capslock lights on the keyboard still turn on and off.
-The video card is not overclocked.

This problem started about 2-3 days ago, when I installed the Omega Drivers. They worked fine for a day or so, then the next day this happened. I had overclocked the video card slightly, (from 324 to 355, mem from 310 to 320) and it worked fine, heat was negligable (system runs at relatively cool temps).

I tried uninstalling the Omega drivers, no luck. I tried installing various different Catalyst drivers, no luck. I've reverted to 3 previous dates using System Restore, no luck. The system will still lose video.

I am not over range on the monitor's refresh rate, as I've changed that from 85 (monitor's max at my resolution) to 75 to 60 just to see if it made a difference. It does not.

I am thinking, at this point, that it's either a bad motherboard/AGP slot or a bad power supply (as the 9700 Pro does suck up quite a bit of power).

The problem is, they were both working fine for over a month now, and just recently started giving me shit.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd really rather try to fix this problem without buying a new motherboard and formatting then finding out that it wasn't the motherboard after all.

SYSTEM CONFIG:
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
P4 2.8C (800mhz bus)
1 Gig PC3200 (2x512meg)
Enermax 430 Watt Whisper Power Supply
4 Hard Drives (all 7200 RPM, 3 WD and 1 Maxtor)
2 Optical Drives (Sony DVDRW, Generic DVD from BTC)
Fanbus with two 120mm fans
Radeon 9700 Pro (Powercolor brand)
No real external devices save for my mouse and keyboard.
Viewsonic G90f

I'd like to get this working today so I can enjoy my soon-to-be-delivered Dell 2001fp.

If you can suggest something to me that I have not thought of and it works, I will love you forever.

Thanks.

Kind of a silly question but you never said you tried the monitor on a different system. This is the monitors ODS giving you these messages right? Cause to me this would point directly at the monitor.

I had an old Geforce3 that did the same thing. It boiled down to a seating issue with the AGP slot, the PCB somehow became warped and it wouldnt sit right.

Impact9 said:
Kind of a silly question but you never said you tried the monitor on a different system. This is the monitors ODS giving you these messages right? Cause to me this would point directly at the monitor.

Update:

Monitor works fine on another system, and I have just replaced my 9700 Pro with a GeForce2 MX400 for testing purposes. The GeForce2 does not crash my system, the 9700 Pro does. The 9700 Pro works fine on my brother's sytem (P4 1.8 with 1 hdd, 1 CDRW drive) so I'm starting to think that maybe my machine's power supply is being worn thin by all the hardware I have.

Thoughts?

Back