Video out I see my desktop but media player is blank?

PHiZ

Limp Gawd
I'm counting on that some of you have seen this problem before. I have run across it both using my All In Wonder RCA outputs, and on my laptop using my s-video out.

You can see the desktop, and you see the window of your media player, but you don't get the video content. I believe that this has something to do with DirectX frames or filters or something. The general concept is that the player is writing directly to the display and bypassing video memory where the secondary output would be able to grab it and display it?

Please does anyone know what I'm talking about, confirm that I'm not crazy, and have a general solution? Thanks. I was wondering if VLC would do it differently, just because VLC is awesome at everything... hehe

-PHiZ

You have to set up some overlay options in your video card's options in the display properties. Which ones, I don't remember off the top of my head, but you need to mess with those to get any video to work with the tv-out.

I believe you have to set the TV as the primary display in order for the video to show up. It's a stupid problem that's been around for at least a decade, and nobody (Microsoft or the video card manufacturers are the ones responsible) has bothered to fix it.

Mohonri said:
I believe you have to set the TV as the primary display in order for the video to show up. It's a stupid problem that's been around for at least a decade, and nobody (Microsoft or the video card manufacturers are the ones responsible) has bothered to fix it.

Thank you that was exactly the problem. You have to go into DISPLAY PROPERTIES > SETTINGS > ADVANCED > DISPLAYS and set the external display as the primary, then it will show video on that one.

The buttons below the pictures of the monitors will have two buttons, one looks like a cirle the other kind of looks like file folders. Those are the primary/secondary buttons.

-PHiZ

Back