Viewsonic 17" LCD 8ms, DVI-D, $350 @ Newegg (no rebates)

sativa

Limp Gawd
I just ordered one of these badboys. Can't wait to get my paws on it.

This thing is suppose to retail at $469.00 according to ViewSonic.

product url: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp171b/

Price: $349.99

Manufacturer: ViewSonic
Size: 17"
Panel Type: TFT Active Matrix LCD
Native Resolution: SXGA (1280 x 1024)
Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 500 : 1
Response Time: 8 ms
View Angle: 160° / 160° (H / V)
Input Connectors: 15-pin D-sub, Digital DVI-D

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-347&depa=1

um ive had this monitor ( or at least a vp171b) for 8 months now. its a standard issue 17ms 65k color with dithering. Its not 8ms. This is just the marketing department, hell they dont even make the pannel. I dont know what they are trying to pull, stating only rise or only fall time. Or maybe they found a sweet spot where they can get a peek 8ms from like full black to white, or going from red to green to blue. If viewsonic really had a true 8ms pannel wouldnt we have heard about it and wouldnt other people be using it, and would they give it a newer model name. view sonic doesnt make pannels and no one makes 8ms pannels.

I bet my lunch its using the same parts as mine, the same parts since summer of last year, and are still using the same 17ms pannel. Hell i bet i can upgrade mine to 8ms with a firmware patch:)

nightanole said:
um ive had this monitor ( or at least a vp171b) for 8 months now. its a standard issue 17ms 65k color with dithering. Its not 8ms. This is just the marketing department, hell they dont even make the pannel. I dont know what they are trying to pull, stating only rise or only fall time. Or maybe they found a sweet spot where they can get a peek 8ms from like full black to white, or going from red to green to blue. If viewsonic really had a true 8ms pannel wouldnt we have heard about it and wouldnt other people be using it, and would they give it a newer model name. view sonic doesnt make pannels and no one makes 8ms pannels.

I bet my lunch its using the same parts as mine, the same parts since summer of last year, and are still using the same 17ms pannel. Hell i bet i can upgrade mine to 8ms with a firmware patch:)

actually i was not that clear in my post. You have the VP171B, which is a 16ms panel. NewEgg is selling the VP171B-2, which is an 8ms panel.

But maybe you're right about the marketing speak... maybe the 12ms panels will now be called 6? lol.

edit: even if this is 16ms panel, its still a pretty good price for one with 300 brightness, 1:500 contrast, & digital input.

sativa said:
come again? not sure if you know what your asking...
I thought I read that a dvi connection can only output 60hz max. Maybe it was that dvi only supports 60hz max at whatever the max resolution dvi supports.

My brother have a Samsung 190T Plus and his DVI can only oput at 60ghz. Is that normal?

dats normal. Hell most of the time after you install the factory display drivers your stuck at 60-70 hz only. the pr171 is limited to 70hz with factory, if you use windows drivers you can use up to 75 hz. I still dont get why you need 8ms/125fps when you can only send 60-70 fps to it. Its not like a crt, it doesnt refresh the same.

neisius said:
I thought I read that a dvi connection can only output 60hz max. Maybe it was that dvi only supports 60hz max at whatever the max resolution dvi supports.

Samsung 213T @ 75Hz over DVI here.

I'm using a Dell 2001FP and I have it set at 120hz. LCDs don't refresh like CRTs so I'm pretty sure that number is just for windows. My mouse scrolls noticibly smoother when I raise the setting from 60 to 120hz. Try it (enable unsupported options)

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ViewSonic Technical Support.

No the panel cannot be upgraded, the newer VP171B-2 is 8 ms, it was made that way straight from the factory.

Sam K

Regards,

ViewSonic Technical Support
ViewSonic Corporation
381 Brea Canyon Road
Walnut, CA 91789

interesting. its odd that there has been almost no mention of them on the tech sites i frequent.

From what I understand It's built on the new Samsung 8ms panel, same as the Optiquest/Hyundai being advertised at the same specs and about the same price.

It's a 6-bit panel, meaning it's a dithered display capable of only 260K colors per pixel, so true-color (16.7M) is accomplished through dithering. This results in mediocre color reproduction -- you may notice it, you may not, it's one of those subjective things. As far as ghosting goes the reviews have been positive, as you would expect from an 8ms panel, although it's important to keep in mind that low response time does not BY ITSELF guarantee no ghosting. In gaming LCD roundups I've seen some 25ms panels perform better than 16ms panels.

Another thing to keep in mind is when gaming at non-native resolutions. If you have a 19" or higher LCD at 1600x1200 native, but don't have enough horsepower to run, say HL2, at that resolution, then the LCD will interpolate down to your chosen resolution. Many panels are lousy at interpolations and will ghost horribly regardless of pixel response time or native resolution performance. The Dell 2001FP is rated very high for gaming because it interpolates well and has minimal ghosting at any resolution. Not sure of the 2005FPW but I'm personally not interested in a widescreen for gaming.

Regarding refresh rate and response time, they are two totally different things. LCD's don't refresh like CRT's do, and pixels can easily change state fast enough to cause ghosting at typical LCD response times regardless of what the refresh rate is. 60-75Hz "refresh" is typical for LCD's but should not be as much a concern as pixel response time.

Malatov said:
From what I understand It's built on the new Samsung 8ms panel, same as the Optiquest/Hyundai being advertised at the same specs and about the same price.

It's a 6-bit panel, meaning it's a dithered display capable of only 260K colors per pixel, so true-color (16.7M) is accomplished through dithering. This results in mediocre color reproduction -- you may notice it, you may not, it's one of those subjective things. As far as ghosting goes the reviews have been positive, as you would expect from an 8ms panel, although it's important to keep in mind that low response time does not BY ITSELF guarantee no ghosting. In gaming LCD roundups I've seen some 25ms panels perform better than 16ms panels.

Another thing to keep in mind is when gaming at non-native resolutions. If you have a 19" or higher LCD at 1600x1200 native, but don't have enough horsepower to run, say HL2, at that resolution, then the LCD will interpolate down to your chosen resolution. Many panels are lousy at interpolations and will ghost horribly regardless of pixel response time or native resolution performance. The Dell 2001FP is rated very high for gaming because it interpolates well and has minimal ghosting at any resolution. Not sure of the 2005FPW but I'm personally not interested in a widescreen for gaming.

Regarding refresh rate and response time, they are two totally different things. LCD's don't refresh like CRT's do, and pixels can easily change state fast enough to cause ghosting at typical LCD response times regardless of what the refresh rate is. 60-75Hz "refresh" is typical for LCD's but should not be as much a concern as pixel response time.

aren't all sub 25ms panels 6bit?

Why are all you guys running your LCD's at more than 60 Hz?

I feel sorry for your poor graphics cards...

Umm, technically, I believe if you're running over DVI, the "refresh" rate is just there for equivalency purposes, since DVI is completely digital, there is no need for a "refresh." Maybe I'm just speaking out my ass, though. Anyway, looks like a good price for a nice monitor. I'd rather a 19" though.

Malatov said:
The Dell 2001FP is rated very high for gaming because it interpolates well and has minimal ghosting at any resolution. Not sure of the 2005FPW but I'm personally not interested in a widescreen for gaming.

The 2005 handles it GREAT. I tested it in CS:S last night running 1380x786 in full screen. The trippy thing is I dont have FSAA on, but there is NO jaggies. Apperantly when it streatches the screen it smooths things out VERY well. Its not as good as FSAA, but its very nice and quite a suprise. Only if you look very hard can you tell that the edges are blurred and not smoothed. Gaming produces NO ghosting in this mode.

Back