Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM Preview, Pics

Update and a horror story...

So I've been fairly happy with my VX2235 until a few weeks ago. I was performing some monitor tests and I noticed some tiny areas of the screen that looked like blurred areas or smudges (they're really not that obvious). Usually when you see something like that it's the result of dried spittle, mineral deposits from droplets of evaporated water, stains from soda splashes, whatever. So I took a damp cloth and gently wiped it over the areas but no dice. I then thought it might be some lazy pixels so using a dry bit of cloth to cover my finger I gently rubbed the areas to bring them to life... no dice. My curiousity was peaked so I finally decided to rub my finger over the areas to get a good feel and... shock and horror... I was greeted with a rough uneven surface.

Not good.

My first thought was that these rough areas might be gunks of industrial residue or whatnot left over from the manufacturing process. To get a really good idea what they looked like I turned off the monitor, killed the lights and held a flashlight close to the screen at an extreme angle so as to highlight its surface. I wasn't too happy with what I saw. It turns out these rough surfaces are holes in the screen coating! Now I seriously doubt these were caused by some flunky at the factory because these holes are quite small and irregular, and the larger one actually looks like a bit of plastic that has been stretched to capacity and has torn (the fringes of the larger hole points outward as if from a tension break or by something being pushed through the coating from the other side). I'm inclined to think that air bubbles formed and burst before the chemical used to coat the screen had a chance to cure or dry properly.

Since I bought this LCD at Costco I have no worries about an exchange or refund. However since the latest 22" TN panel LCDs are hitting the market I'm inclined to hold onto my VX2235 and trade it in for a newer model.

I'll try to get a photo of the screen surface but as you can imagine, it will be extremely difficult.

Anyway the moral of the story is that these imperfections along with the backlight bleeding, viewing angles and oddball default color values serve as painful reminders of the 'value' aspect of these monitors. When purchasing one of these TN equipped LCDs be prepared for the worst.

I picked one of these up from office depot today. No dead pixels and the colors look great. So far I am very satisfied with it. The text in Vista looks much sharper than it did with the 2030.

I finally got rid of my VX2235 and returned it at Costco. Even at $300 I cannot recommend this monitor.

To replace my VX2235 I picked up the HP W2207 when it was on sale for $329 last week and have had zero regrets. The W2207 has superior color, image quality, fully adjustable & rotateable stand and two USB ports. Furthermore unlike the VX2235 the W2207's default settings need little adjustment, its colors brightness/contrast settings looked great right out of the box.

Back