Viewsonic PT813 Opinion Question

Quick question to all my CRT brother/sisterhood. I got a lead on one of these in fantastic condition but he wants $500. When I found out its .28 and the refresh is maxed at 107/160hz I felt a little... disheartened. I really wanted a Dell P1130 or P1230 caliber CRT (Don't we all)... but is this thing really worth 500 bucks for 1600x1200 at 85hz... What are the thoughts and feelings? Let me know please!

hahahahahahaha.....$500 for a CRT..... ROTFLMAO....

Nope, notta, no way, 'Jose, especially one with those antique specs (note the VGA analog input, which are not available on modern GPU's)....UNLESS, you're doing a seriously Retro-build :D

Now if you come across one of the original, like-new, professional-grade Sony Trinitrons from back in the day, maybe I'd give ~$200 for it, but that's about it !

Hate to say it but $500 is WAY too much. It took a while, but I was able to pick up a P1110 for $15.

Quick question to all my CRT brother/sisterhood. I got a lead on one of these in fantastic condition but he wants $500. When I found out its .28 and the refresh is maxed at 107/160hz I felt a little... disheartened. I really wanted a Dell P1130 or P1230 caliber CRT (Don't we all)... but is this thing really worth 500 bucks for 1600x1200 at 85hz... What are the thoughts and feelings? Let me know please!
1600x1200@85hz is rather unimpressive for a 21" CRT at this price, and the dot pitch isnt tight compared to later CRT models. But if by fantastic condition you mean New in Box or barely used, then try to negotiate the price.

1600x1200@85hz is rather unimpressive for a 21" CRT at this price, and the dot pitch isnt tight compared to later CRT models. But if by fantastic condition you mean New in Box or barely used, then try to negotiate the price.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. My main monitors for years were the sony trinitron dell p1130 which have better dot pitch and better vertical and horizontal frequencies. However, I don't know what everyone here is talking about, where i live it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a 21 inch crt in good condition that is even close to as good. California makes it where they cant sell CRTs in any good will they MUST destroy them legally. So these are becoming harder and harder to find.
IF this was a dell P1130 or similar tier or higher id have bought it no question, but it isn't. I was thinking of offering 300... It was used for about 8 hours a day for 4 years back from 97-2001. Zero Scratches and the brightness really maxes out so it seems to have life left.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. My main monitors for years were the sony trinitron dell p1130 which have better dot pitch and better vertical and horizontal frequencies. However, I don't know what everyone here is talking about, where i live it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a 21 inch crt in good condition that is even close to as good. California makes it where they cant sell CRTs in any good will they MUST destroy them legally. So these are becoming harder and harder to find.
IF this was a dell P1130 or similar tier or higher id have bought it no question, but it isn't. I was thinking of offering 300... It was used for about 8 hours a day for 4 years back from 97-2001. Zero Scratches and the brightness really maxes out so it seems to have life left.
I say go for it, if it's within your disposable income. Better than regretting the chance of not getting it down the road. If you do find a good model at a cheaper price later on, you can always sell the Viewsonic to another enthusiast such as yourself.

I'm diggin this response. I think I'll offer 300. I just wish it had a better dot pitch and faster frequencies.

Back