ViewSonic VLED221wm LED/12000:1/118%NTSC $799

There is a picture of a screen on this link, but it might not be the correct screen.

If it is, I'm not too crazy about the stand but I can live with it, if the screen is as nice as i hope. :)

"...The stylish, glossy black display supports a native 1680x1050 resolution, boasts a 5ms response time and features an industry-leading dynamic contrast ratio of 12000:1 (typ), making it the ultimate monitor for life-like high-definition content..."

Could read, "boasts a 5ms TN panel that costs us less than $25 from our CM in quantity."

12000:1 Dynamic contrast. Be afraid.

Super wide gamut paired with a TN panel. What a waste. All that potential, wasted.

Could read, "boasts a 5ms TN panel that costs us less than $25 from our CM in quantity." 12000:1 Dynamic contrast. Be afraid.
Sure the 22" TN LCD panel itself is cheap, but the backlight probably isn't. If it ends up looking any good, then this could be a pretty significant step forward for desktop displays.

Super wide gamut paired with a TN panel. What a waste. All that potential, wasted.
TN's viewing angles are poor, but they don't drive me totally nuts. I would be okay with it, I guess... but I think I'll just wait for the 24" model.

Is it Local Dimming? I hope so, but one particular concern I would have is regarding the amount of processing time it takes to local-dim the backlight...

But I'm fairly sure if it was local dimmed they'd boast a better CR than 12k:1

12000:1 contrast ratio means 6000 cd/m² brightness for that ratio to be useful

get out your sunblockers ppl, this may be the ultimate in lcd brightness:D

like the OP said, all that wasted on a TN panel:(

if that was an IPS panel, no one would be able to afford it.

Sure the 22" TN LCD panel itself is cheap, but the backlight probably isn't. If it ends up looking any good, then this could be a pretty significant step forward for desktop displays.

TN's viewing angles are poor, but they don't drive me totally nuts. I would be okay with it, I guess... but I think I'll just wait for the 24" model.

Is it Local Dimming? I hope so, but one particular concern I would have is regarding the amount of processing time it takes to local-dim the backlight...

But I'm fairly sure if it was local dimmed they'd boast a better CR than 12k:1

tn panels viewing angles are so bad if you move an inch the picture is borked.

its a waste to make this panel, i dont know why they would bother.

Wait and see what? TN is what it is. The back lighting is not what causes the horrid viewing angles of tn's... Even with LED back lights, Probably no bleeding, but still sad viewing angles.

Wait and see what? TN is what it is. The back lighting is not what causes the horrid viewing angles of tn's... Even with LED back lights, Probably no bleeding, but still sad viewing angles.

you've nailed that one, the backlight makes no difference to the physical properties of the LCD. A higher gamut does'nt magicaly turn a TN display into a colour accurate IPS one:cool:

"you cant polish a turd is the other one"

Or in this case, fix a turd's defects with expensive backlighting.

All standard LED backlighting does anyway, is make the backlight more uniform and increase overall brightness capability. Now if they used it to fix the gamma shift on the turds (TN or VA), by uniformly dimming the LEDs, then maybe they would have something.

Or in this case, fix a turd's defects with expensive backlighting.

All standard LED backlighting does anyway, is make the backlight more uniform and increase overall brightness capability. Now if they used it to fix the gamma shift on the turds (TN or VA), by uniformly dimming the LEDs, then maybe they would have something.

that wouldn’t fix the contrast shift, the angle to which your viewing the LCD surface doesn’t change if you are using a different light. You have to physically move your head to that point on the monitor!!!!

A more even backlight would depend on the LED implementation, there are too many variables involved. You cant guarantee more even backlight because the panel is using LED’s.

I have a TN panel and the viewing angles have never bothered me as much as the piss-poor black levels. If the backlight featured local dimming I would highly consider it, TN or not.

Back