Virt.Machines on Amazon's EC2 + EBS?

muzzle79

Gawd
Anyone have any experiences with theirs services?
They seem to fit what i'm looking for:
Ability to add virtual machines (around the 150mb footprint size), expandable cloud storage for each as well as decent bandwidth rates.

Any alternatives I should look at?

The company I work for currently uses EC2 + EBS in production for our production website/forums/web services and some other things. We also use Amazon S3 for our downloads of the software we produce.

In general we are happy with it, you have to make SURE that you give them an email address you monitor religiously in case something happens. You also need to make sure if you are using them as production servers that you need to have a 'DR' plan if the instance you are using needs to be terminated. Basic IT backup stuff, nothing too huge.

Rackspace Cloud Servers--

Better pricing (in most cases) then EC2, better performance (test results @ http://journal.uggedal.com/vps-performance-comparison).
Only downfall is no persistent storage, it's coming eventually, but not yet. I get around that by simply resizing my servers to their smallest server, which costs just under $11 a month.
Bandwidth is cheaper at Rackspace too. Some article I read showed Rackspace with having better uptime then EC2....
I use GoGrid, Rackspace Cloud, Linodes, and EC2 quite a bit. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish they all have their strengths.

Back