Virtua Tennis 3 to run in 1080p on PS3

Well THANK GOD. If I couldnt play such a graphically demanding game as tennis in 1080p, im not sure what i would do.

Definatly going to go spend $3000 on a 1080p HDTV so I can play tennis.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

i was really hoping to hear news on the 1080p element hitting their RPG section first :(

i guess its good that its coming out at all.

Just seems weird to me tha a sega game would be the first to take full advantage of a new feature of the ps3. For some reason I would think a sony team would have been the fist. O well I'm just happy to see virtual tennis 3. Have top spin and it just is not the same.

has anyone actually place virtual tennis on PS2, best sport game ever

mjz_5 said:
has anyone actually place virtual tennis on PS2, best sport game ever

A few times. Most of the time I've played it was on the dreamcast. Good times.

Blah, this 1080p thing is getting anoying. First, the differnce between 720p and 1080p is barely noticable. Second, games running at 720p will most likely look better because they can add better graphics. RESOLUTION DOES NOT EQUAL GRAPHICS. Infact I would go as far as saying higher resolution means lower graphics to balance out the extra proccessing power needed to run the higher resolution.

BTW Virtual Tennis' graphics are weak.

Ugh. This anti-sony sentiment is really getting old. They've made a ton of mistakes, but seriously now...there was a thread like a week ago where sony said that few games would be 1080p and people ripped them for that, and now you wanna rip on a game supporting it? Do you guys even read the threads or just see "sony" and go take a dump in it?

Every a/v site I've read says that 1080p is a noticeable improvement at normal viewing distance when you start looking at screen sizes of around 50". A 1080p set in that size can be had for around $2000 nowadays. Crap on sony all you want but those are facts.

There's no reason that sega cant make a tennis game with serious detail at 1080p because of the nature of the game (relatively fixed camera angles, few character models, etc...same as a fighting game). Where you guys get arguments like "1080p costs $3000" and "720p would look better than 1080p" is beyond me.

Old news, but thanks for posting anyway, l177l3d.

Don't feed the trolls, todlerix. There is nothing we can do about their penning flamebait left and right, so just welcome them to your Ignore List. I know mine got at least one more member. :eek:

ClearM4 said:
Blah, this 1080p thing is getting anoying. First, the differnce between 720p and 1080p is barely noticable. Second, games running at 720p will most likely look better because they can add better graphics. RESOLUTION DOES NOT EQUAL GRAPHICS. Infact I would go as far as saying higher resolution means lower graphics to balance out the extra proccessing power needed to run the higher resolution.

BTW Virtual Tennis' graphics are weak.
Exhibit A of the internet, people that have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

1280x720 (720p Widescreen ATSC Standard) = 921,600 pixels
1920x1080 (1080p Widescreen ATSC Standard) = 2,073,600 pixels

Whoa, no difference there. Moving on...you really think people spend $600 on a GFX card if playing at 1600x1200/1920x1080 doesn't make a visible difference over say...1280x1024, or 1280x720.

Yes, it does take more processing power to drive more pixels (obviously). The issue at hand here is that Sony has repeatedly stated that the PS3 has the power to drive 1080p games, and now reports are popping up that this is not the case. But now Sega's announcement indicates that yes, we may see more games come out that support 1080p and tap the power of the RSX & Cell.

movax said:
Yes, it does take more processing power to drive more pixels (obviously). The issue at hand here is that Sony has repeatedly stated that the PS3 has the power to drive 1080p games, and now reports are popping up that this is not the case. But now Sega's announcement indicates that yes, we may see more games come out that support 1080p and tap the power of the RSX & Cell.

Didn't sony at first state it had the power to drive 2 1080p screens?

Anyway I'm not trying to talk really about the big deal with 1080p(most sets will not run it anyway). One question about virtual tennis though. I would think it's a very simple game as far as graphics go. When I say this I mean you have 4 main characters on the screen at once and a small world. Same with like normal fighting games. These are the ones I think they will be able to drive 1080p at without many issues. Games with a shit load of people on screen and huge worlds are the ones I would be interested in seeing running at this res.

swatbat said:
Didn't sony at first state it had the power to drive 2 1080p screens?

Anyway I'm not trying to talk really about the big deal with 1080p(most sets will not run it anyway). One question about virtual tennis though. I would think it's a very simple game as far as graphics go. When I say this I mean you have 4 main characters on the screen at once and a small world. Same with like normal fighting games. These are the ones I think they will be able to drive 1080p at without many issues. Games with a shit load of people on screen and huge worlds are the ones I would be interested in seeing running at this res.
Well, in Virtua Tennis 3, I'd assume that in the 1080p pixels that are being driven (~2 million), you'll have (hopefully) a well-deatiled environment, high-polygon count characters and other assorted eye-candy. True, it's less graphically demanding, but still not an easy load for a gpu.

movax said:
Well, in Virtua Tennis 3, I'd assume that in the 1080p pixels that are being driven (~2 million), you'll have (hopefully) a well-deatiled environment, high-polygon count characters and other assorted eye-candy. True, it's less graphically demanding, but still not an easy load for a gpu.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be demanding I'm just thinking it would be easer to program. Now if I can get a 1080p signal off it to a computer lcd I'll be happy.

movax said:
Exhibit A of the internet, people that have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

With respect, that wasn't what was being said. You can put one triangle on the screen and call it 1080p. You can put a billion on the screen and call it 720p. Now yeah, 1080p will be running at a higher resolution, but is the one triangle of graphics better than the billion that got shown at 720p? No. Obviously we're not talking as clear cut as this, but you surely realise as a gamer that there's more to graphics than resolution... it's all about balance.

The simple fact is that Sony will be encouraging developers to get 1080p out of the door. If I was a game developer I would happily tweak some detail levels to hit 1080p and make the boss happy.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Ugh. This anti-sony sentiment is really getting old. They've made a ton of mistakes, but seriously now...there was a thread like a week ago where sony said that few games would be 1080p and people ripped them for that, and now you wanna rip on a game supporting it? Do you guys even read the threads or just see "sony" and go take a dump in it?

Every a/v site I've read says that 1080p is a noticeable improvement at normal viewing distance when you start looking at screen sizes of around 50". A 1080p set in that size can be had for around $2000 nowadays. Crap on sony all you want but those are facts.

There's no reason that sega cant make a tennis game with serious detail at 1080p because of the nature of the game (relatively fixed camera angles, few character models, etc...same as a fighting game). Where you guys get arguments like "1080p costs $3000" and "720p would look better than 1080p" is beyond me.

QFT

Spaceman_Spiff said:

i second that

movax said:

Whoa, no difference there. Moving on...you really think people spend $600 on a GFX card if playing at 1600x1200/1920x1080 doesn't make a visible difference over say...1280x1024, or 1280x720.

I was talking about the visual difference between 720p and 1080p resolution. You really have to get above 40 inch HDTVs to notice any difference at all and even with 60 inch HDTVs the difference is nothing to write home about. How about you go to bestbuy and look at a few HDTV. Obliviously there is a technical difference between the 2 resolutions.

And as far as your second statement: Consoles are very limited in there resources and developers need to make trade offs when designing games. 1080p is just too one sided and only less graphical intensive games will use this resolution.

I think the PS3 is going to be a good gaming console, but this 1080p the !!!!!!s bring up is non-sense and pure marketing.

Interestingly enough, there's some debate at the moment regarding MS and 1080p. It's been announced that the HD-DVD addon will output in 1080p and some people have been suggesting that the console will be able to (for games) following a dashboard update at the end of the year.

Of course, it's just rumour for now, but if it was true at least we'd lose one more subject that the f@nb0ys could flame each other about! :D

just a note... this thread was simply to say that at least a game has been seen in 1080p and is not just "will be" "should be" in 1080p... whether or not it is a tennis game is of no consequence... point of this thread is only to show that it is out there...and there will be more

and for all those who feel that 1080p is impossible... apparently sony did something right this time because microsoft is sure enough following suit and adding 1080p output to the 360 by the end of the year...

I've seen the same game running in 720p and in 1080p and there is a HUGE difference. I'm dreamin' of getting a Westinghouse. Do they make a 50"?

47 i think is the biggest.

I own a 42in now, sig lies >< However, i wish all games supported 1080p .>>

All they need to do is hit 1080p @30htz, shouldn't be too hard.

Games that are not demanding by nature will run at 1080p. That's what any reasonable could deduce immediately when the backpedaling began. It's news to find out which ones, but not otherwise.

I like virtua tennis games. So please keep the hype in perspective from now on. It may turn out to be a great machine. The crossfire rig I built 6 months ago will take it's lunch money. Glad I got an xbox360.

Back