Virtual reality's Next Big Leap is Real-World Pong and Pac-Man

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Munich-based HolodeckVR is using optical and radio tracking to create giant VR gaming arenas. The company is currently using Samsung Gear mobile VR headsets and a combination of tracking technology it has developed in-house. They have created two different sized arenas for people to play within: 20 X 20 meters and 200 X 200 meters. HolodeckVR isn't the only company to do this, but I like how they are taking old games and updating them with VR in the real-world. I want to be Pac-Man.

"We combine two signals at any given time – optical signal and radio frequency signal," he says. This is achieved by attaching a radio sensor onto the VR headsets and positioning cameras around the room. "We could also track other things like the hands and the physical props like guns or moving objects physical objects like doors you would open."

Why would you want vr for this?
The next big leap will be AR, specifically with portable head units and virtualizing sports.
Imaging playing tennis or basketball with your friends across the world.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
......but I like how they are taking old games and updating them with VR in the real-world. I want to be Pac-Man.

It has been done already by Virtuality Entertainment in 1996....and it was a piping hot mess. I don't see how 20 years of graphic tech improvement would fix the glaring gameplay issues. Some games should just be played in the way they were intended.

1286740641.jpg

Back