VisionTek Bankrupt, PNY Selling Graphics & Memory Business?

both companies wanted to release ATI cards, but ATI chose XFX, EVGA and BFG lost the bid, I really wanted to see BFG release ATI cards as I believe they are the only companies out there I see worth it to pay for the name.

I think choosing XFX was a mistake.One of the reasons I chose a Nvidia card over ATI in my new system was because all my cards have been from BFG.I'd trust them over any of the present companies selling ATI cards as far as support and warranty goes.

I still have 2 PNY cards working right now. A 5600 GT (AGP) and a 6600 GT (PCiX). Both have served me well over the years and I remember getting a ton of PNY sticks back in the day. Kinda sad to see them go.

I think choosing XFX was a mistake.One of the reasons I chose a Nvidia card over ATI in my new system was because all my cards have been from BFG.I'd trust them over any of the present companies selling ATI cards as far as support and warranty goes.

Again, AMD chose no one. XFX was just the only one that accepted AMD's approach.

Personally? I hate BFG's warranty practices, overclocking and heatsink removal void the warranty, fsck that. I honestly don't see why so many people like BFG, they aren't actually that good of a brand that everyone makes them out to be.

XFX and eVGA FTW! Lifetime warranties(double in XFX's case), heatsink removal OKAY, overclocking OKAY.

I bought a few PNY cards, I still use a 9600GSO from PNY.

Diamond was the first brand high end card i ever bought. The diamond Monster 3d voodoo 1. I dont know if it is the same company as i thought they went under years ago. all of a sudden they come back recently. Are they like what visiontek did?

The Diamond of the Voodoo era is long gone, the name has changed hands at least twice since then I think.

Really love PNYs memory sticks. No extra software on them and no funky shapes that will make me worry about it not fitting into various cases. Nice and simple.

VisionTek pulled a lot of shenanigans before going ATI only. :p At least we got BFG out of that mess many years ago.

If it was Visiontek pulling the 'shenanigans' then why did Nvidia pony up the $1.5mil in settling the suit? :p

All my VisionTek and PNY hardware has always been good to me. I hate to see either company go under, like many have said, because it will lessen the competition available.

Well my guess is that the cpugpu is just around the corner. Any business with smarts doesn't wait until the cpugpu starts selling, they sell the part of the business that will be affected the most while they can. Then pump the money into their core business or find a good supporting business.

Visiontek is not going out of business...

I was told earlier today that VisionTek has gotten an infusion of venture capital that will save it from bankruptcy. VT was asked to share an official statement on its situation. Will know more Monday hopefully.

For those who are bitchin' about their old VisionTek nVidia cards, you do realize the current company has nothing to do with the original right?

that was fast

There was a good channel of communication yesterday between AMD and Visiontek and they did their best to make sure that this rumor was stomped out. More likely than not, it was probably perpetuated by one of their competitors rather than someone within the company. Considering the fact that i know some details in regards to the deal that involved acquiring additional financing from an international bank from a certain country. Simply put, this is kind of old news... since this actually happened months ago and only recently did the money start to land from that deal. Even so, the rumor's spread post dated the actual facts of the event. They didn't just magically acquire funds over night after the spread of this rumor... And now we have a press release somewhat explaining the situation. ;)

BFG, PNY, Visiontek, XFX, EVGA, none of these make the cards.
They just buy them already made and put their stickers on them and put them in their box.
Sometimes they put a different heatsink on them.
You guys know this...

It is not these companies fault if a card goes bad, they are stuck with honoring the warranty.

BFG, PNY, Visiontek, XFX, EVGA, none of these make the cards.
They just buy them already made and put their stickers on them and put them in their box.
Sometimes they put a different heatsink on them.
You guys know this...

It is not these companies fault if a card goes bad, they are stuck with honoring the warranty.

Actually, while this is partly true. A lot of companies have begun to design their own PCBs and implement their own pwm features on graphics cards. Trying to differentiate themselves from the competition. ;)

It's there own damn fault for dumping Nvidia. Yeah Nvidia has had it's ups and downs but so has ATI. I do not in the least bit feel any sympathy for Visiontek.

If it was Visiontek pulling the 'shenanigans' then why did Nvidia pony up the $1.5mil in settling the suit? :p
Because your memory is faulty. :p http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDYzLDEsLGhjb25zb2xl
Prior to the Offering, Nvidia shipped to VisionTek $6-8 million worth of defective Component Parts. Once VisionTek discovered the Component Parts were defective, it negotiated a resolution with NVIDIA. VisionTek and Nvidia agreed that VisionTek would receive a credit equal to the value of the defective Component Parts and that VisionTek would destroy the defective Component Parts.

At the time it made the agreement with Nvidia, VisionTek was starved for cash and under intense pressure to get its products quickly into the marketplace. VisionTek therefore decided to renege on its agreement with Nvidia. Rather than destroying the parts as promised, VisionTek, upon information and belief, built its graphic cards using the defective Component Parts and then fraudulently sold those cards to its customers.

VisionTek "settled" for $1.5 million out of court after 3 years of draggng. Not exactly a huge victory and did it even cover VT's legal fees? I'm sure nvidia saw that as a bargain considering the cost of time and money of continuing to defend against the lawsuit.

Speaking of shenanigans, Hartford continued dumping stock of old product and unsuspecting consumers who bought those at retail or other channels were probably "pleasantly" surprised by lack of any warranty.

The zombie company will fail soon enough (again). Maybe they can make S3 video cards in the next iteration and have even more retarded faux hip marketing (all the product pages were like that).

VisionTek pulled a lot of shenanigans before going ATI only. :p At least we got BFG out of that mess many years ago.

As someone who knows what went on before VisionTek went ATI, I can assure you that while VisionTek was, INDEED pulling some shenanigans, they had some shenanigans pulled on them too. One of their investors brought someone in to "realign" the company. This person then proceeded to abuse the somewhat weak controls in the company at the time in an effort to tank VisionTek so their employer could buy it up at fire-sale prices.

At the time they let pretty much the entirety of their Gurnee staff go, the company was quite literally DROWNING is component stock that had been erroneously ordered and that VisionTek had NO way of selling off in good order.

It also put them heavily into debt to nVidia, who'd sold them the stock. Unsure whether it was one huge order (doubtful) or lots of heavily padded smaller orders (more likely, as it'd fly below the radar easier).

All in all, NOT a good time at VT.

Because your memory is faulty. :p http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDYzLDEsLGhjb25zb2xl

VisionTek "settled" for $1.5 million out of court after 3 years of draggng. Not exactly a huge victory and did it even cover VT's legal fees? I'm sure nvidia saw that as a bargain considering the cost of time and money of continuing to defend against the lawsuit.

Speaking of shenanigans, Hartford continued dumping stock of old product and unsuspecting consumers who bought those at retail or other channels were probably "pleasantly" surprised by lack of any warranty.

The zombie company will fail soon enough (again). Maybe they can make S3 video cards in the next iteration and have even more retarded faux hip marketing (all the product pages were like that).

Wow, didn't know that one! How can VisionTek still be around, after all that ? Knowing those sorts of dealings, I'm sure many people will avoid even thinking of buying anything from them...

Back