Vista 64-bit Antivirus: Symantec Corp. 10.2 or NOD32?

Which one

• Total voters

brom42

2[H]4U
I have narrowed down my choices for what anti virus I am going to use. But want some input.

1) Symantec Corporate 10.2. I get this through work for free, they have a license for every employee to have it on their home system. I have used Symantec Corp for years and it has treated me well. This is more memory heavy than NOD32, but it also replaces windows defender so memory usage ends up being about the same. (within 2mb) It is also centrally managed so there is no problems keeping it up to date.

2) NOD32 + Windows Defender. I've been using the trial and have really liked it. Very simple and gets the job done. Is lighter on memory usage, but need to be used with windows defender to get complete protection. The main downside to it is that I have to pay for it.

So which should I choose? Symantec Corp 10.2 or NOD32?

I am running Symantec Corp at the moment since my 30 day trial for NOD32 ended.

I had been a reseller for Symantec Corp Edition since around version 5, installing it on many MANY networks....around version 9 I started noticing it was getting bloated...and not as effective as some of the emerging, better European based antivirus products.

I started looking at other products...AVG, Kapersky, Trend, and NOD32. Came down to Kapersky and NOD32...at that time...the version of Kapersky was a bit heavier..NOD32 was very light..so I went with that.

Once Symantec CE version 10 came out...wow..bloated pig...almost as heavy as their home grade product, and I still saw lots of malware sneak past it...I totally stopped reselling it..and went all NOD32.

Clients of mine that I've converted to NOD32...some of them comment on their own..how their PCs run a bit quicker.

I don't make as many calls to their networks to remove malware.

I'd make more money if I stuck with Symantec..it's more expensive so I'd have a higher profit margin, and I'd be making more return calls to my clients to clean out their systems.

Question though...why do you have this associates of Defender in here? Defender is quite useless (prior version from Giant was a great program...but got ruined one it converted to Defender). Symantec is not strong in the ad/spyware removal/prevention area....so it needs more anti-ad.spyware tools along side of it such as Spybot, SpywareBlaster, and SuperAntispyware. NOD32 is strong in the anti-ad/spyware area...it doesn't need as many tools along side of it for good protection.

I had been a reseller for Symantec Corp Edition since around version 5, installing it on many MANY networks....around version 9 I started noticing it was getting bloated...and not as effective as some of the emerging, better European based antivirus products.

I started looking at other products...AVG, Kapersky, Trend, and NOD32. Came down to Kapersky and NOD32...at that time...the version of Kapersky was a bit heavier..NOD32 was very light..so I went with that.

Once Symantec CE version 10 came out...wow..bloated pig...almost as heavy as their home grade product, and I still saw lots of malware sneak past it...I totally stopped reselling it..and went all NOD32.

Clients of mine that I've converted to NOD32...some of them comment on their own..how their PCs run a bit quicker.

I don't make as many calls to their networks to remove malware.

I'd make more money if I stuck with Symantec..it's more expensive so I'd have a higher profit margin, and I'd be making more return calls to my clients to clean out their systems.

Question though...why do you have this associates of Defender in here? Defender is quite useless (prior version from Giant was a great program...but got ruined one it converted to Defender). Symantec is not strong in the ad/spyware removal/prevention area....so it needs more anti-ad.spyware tools along side of it such as Spybot, SpywareBlaster, and SuperAntispyware. NOD32 is strong in the anti-ad/spyware area...it doesn't need as many tools along side of it for good protection.

I guess I didn't realize that NOD32 was so strong on the anti-spyware area.

The reason this question even came up is because as you said, Symantec Corp isn't what it used to be. I had been running 9 since it came out, until I upgraded to Vista a month ago.

The only reason Symantec is a choice is because I can get it free and a am familiar with it.

I was against antivirus completely for a looooong time. I heard of nod32 when I switched to xp64 and I noticed that along with virus protection it did, infact, have spyware protection. This was the first time I had ever paid for antivirus and I have been impressed with it since. I knew I probably would never become infected with the type of virus I had been used to, but trojans and other malware are a real threat. I don't mind paying for the service when the money is going to constantly improving definitions and protection.

It takes very few resources, it seemlessly integrates with firefox and thunderbird, and it has caught every potential trojan/malware that I have run into since. With adaware, spybot, (even probably windows defender) taking kickbacks to remove certain malware from their definitions, I am not sure the free software can be trusted anymore.

I would not be suprised a single bit if symantec was also being paid to allow certain malware through. Their software is so bloated, it is obvious that the customer experience is not the number one concern.

I guess I didn't realize that NOD32 was so strong on the anti-spyware area.

Yeah the good antivirus programs are strong in this area....IMO the top 3 are (alphabetically..not choice one two three)
BitDefender
Kaspersky
NOD32

Stick with any of those 3 and you're good.

I understand that this engine is liscensed out to several AV companies?

Yes, there is a list somewhere but I can't seem to find it. They lease it out to a rather large number of companies as well.

Even free through AOL. :cool: And you don't need any other AOL software or subscriptions.
http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

*had to edit above...for years I still can't remember to type in an "S" ...KaSpersky.

The AOL link still says "Coming Soon - Active Virus Shield for Vista"

I reinstalled the trial version of NOD32 and it reset the counter back to 30 days, so I can put off making a decision for a while longer.

I just have a problem installing anything from AOL, so many bad memories, has anyone tried out Active Virus Shield in XP yet?

I vote nod32; I have used it and symantec, and I feel much more comfortable supporting my network with nod32 on it.

Back