Vista 64-bit SP1 OUT!

No, I understand I can slipstream the SP1 in to Vista DVDs and create my own, but do you know when the media with Vista + SP1 will be shipping?

Nope, sorry, that isn't supported. MS did not include that capability.

Vista has an image-based installation system rather than a file-based one, which interferes with previous slipstreaming methods, and there's no alternative yet.

Vista has an image-based installation system rather than a file-based one, which interferes with previous slipstreaming methods, and there's no alternative yet.
folks who've seen me talk about Vista know I have a healthy list of complaints with it. But, this is pretty high on the list. Specifically, because I _have_ to have a few MSKB updates installed into the install media otherwise I cannot install with 4GB of memory installed. It's a real pain to have to remove 2GB, install, install updates, and then have shut the machine down and re-install the memory.

If this were XP, I'd just slipstream the updates into the install media prior to doing the installation in the first place.

No, I understand I can slipstream the SP1 in to Vista DVDs and create my own, but do you know when the media with Vista + SP1 will be shipping?
I may be wrong on this, but I don't believe there will be methods, like Autostreamer, to slipstream the SP into an original, pre-SP disc.

Specifically, because I _have_ to have a few MSKB updates installed into the install media otherwise I cannot install with 4GB of memory installed. It's a real pain to have to remove 2GB, install, install updates, and then have shut the machine down and re-install the memory.
It is a pain, and I have this same issue with my main system, but how often will that occur? If you are reinstalling that often, you should be using a drive-imaging app instead. That's basically what the fresh install of Vista is anyway. My guess is, Microsoft will also make available discs with SP1 included, much the same way they made the x64 discs available as well.

The install is done; nice and long and scarry; I will have to come back in a couple hours to report; 1st reboot was slow. Man, when they deploy this, the long install is going to freak people out.

Update; no sound problems; w/ the x-fi, etc.; actually, the sound is way better in games, like COD4! Very good so far. I've got to check superfetch and other settings now.

folks who've seen me talk about Vista know I have a healthy list of complaints with it. But, this is pretty high on the list. Specifically, because I _have_ to have a few MSKB updates installed into the install media otherwise I cannot install with 4GB of memory installed. It's a real pain to have to remove 2GB, install, install updates, and then have shut the machine down and re-install the memory.

If this were XP, I'd just slipstream the updates into the install media prior to doing the installation in the first place.

vLite would be the easiest way to integrate updates into Vista.

You can do it manually, too, but it's a lot more work:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Vista-unattended-Guide-t95462.html

folks who've seen me talk about Vista know I have a healthy list of complaints with it. But, this is pretty high on the list. Specifically, because I _have_ to have a few MSKB updates installed into the install media otherwise I cannot install with 4GB of memory installed. It's a real pain to have to remove 2GB, install, install updates, and then have shut the machine down and re-install the memory.If this were XP, I'd just slipstream the updates into the install media prior to doing the installation in the first place.

That is my problem too, I don't want to slipsteam! I simply am looking for a date of when microsoft will be shipping new media out with Service Pack 1 installed in to it.
So instead of buying Vista Ultimate today, next week Microsoft ships Vista Ultimate with Service Pack1.
I am curious if anyone knows a date.

I get "Windows Modules Installer has stopped working" every time I try to install SP1. Googling turns up nothing. Meh.

Got the 64bit SP1 RTM when I build the machine. Installed it then. No problems

E8400
8g Ram
Gia MB
Home Prem 64 os

700meg file to DL when I got it. Took about 20 min to install and get done.

DM

Im running Vista 64 and i was able to see and install the updates no problem, although i haven't been there to see the aftermath because im still at work.

So it is Beta version ?

The description says so, but I see no indication of beta status after it installed.

The version information reads as Service Pack 1 and there is no Evaluation watermark on the desktop as there was with the Beta.

Chalk another one who got the update. No problems during installation, only took about 25 minutes, and very glad that I didn't have to wait until mid March to get it.

Side note, I have noticed that some had multiple reboots during installation. For some odd reason I did not. Stage one and two completed during a shutdown, and then stage three was performed upon restart, which let me in right away after completing. So who knows where that issue is coming from. :confused:

I get "Windows Modules Installer has stopped working" every time I try to install SP1. Googling turns up nothing. Meh.

did you by chance use that Vlite utility that was being pushed over the net a couple of weeks ago? One of the side effects of using that utility is cleaning up files that SP1 needs to install.

this whole thread is a bunch of :confused:

so no one knows if the SP1 (not beta, not RC) is out and if there is both 32 and 64 bit versions available :confused:

this whole thread is a bunch of :confused:

so no one knows if the SP1 (not beta, not RC) is out and if there is both 32 and 64 bit versions available :confused:

No, it is not officially out.

It is available via technet and MSDN, but not via windows update. It was available via windows update for about a day, then it was pulled due to problems with a prereq updated.

Yes, there is a 32bit and 64bit version available.

sweet SP1 for vista64 this is defiantly going on my main boxen when i get home.

Also me lurk long time 7.1 yrs and still not officially 500posts.

Snagged it earlier, seemed to install much faster than the release candidate.

Vista x64 Ultimate here - Can't see it in Windows Update, no option for me to update to SP1

You hitting the check for updates refresh button? Someone else noted it seems to be using a slot system, not enough free slots for you to get the dload it won't show up.

Vista x64 Ultimate here - Can't see it in Windows Update, no option for me to update to SP1

That sucks. I want to try SP1 if for no other reason than because a previous updates screwed up my system. I'm hoping that SP1 fixes the issues I am having since that update.

Microsoft will sometimes gradually release certain updates via windows update which may explain why some are seeing it and others not. Usually when that occurs it will be fully released within 2-3 days.

No, it is not officially out.

It is available via technet and MSDN, but not via windows update. It was available via windows update for about a day, then it was pulled due to problems with a prereq updated.

Yes, there is a 32bit and 64bit version available.

Your information is outdated. The patch that was pulled wasn't SP1 but KB937287 which is a Windows Update patch, not a Vista patch. It was pulled on or before the 20th, but as of this afternoon it was again available.

Vista 64 SP1 is definately available through windows update today. I have patched it on one Pc and am looking at it listed in WU on a second 64bit PC right now.

Microsoft will sometimes gradually release certain updates via windows update which may explain why some are seeing it and others not. Usually when that occurs it will be fully released within 2-3 days.

I think that's the case. I think MS meters out how many copies are patched out.

I installed it on my laptop, desktop, and media PC last week (via MSDN release). Desktop and Media PC are 64-bit. Laptop is 32 bit because Cisco doesn't have a 64bit VPN client that works with our VPN concentrators at work.

Desktop and Media PC have been solid. The laptop had a single blue screen over the weekend which I believe was related to the Intel wireless drivers.

I am currently running Win XP 32-bit due to multiple issues, but once I get the next memory upgrade from 2GB to 6GB, then I'll be installing Vista 64. (I just have to get Vista 64 to install and run on my machine properly, then get my tax return to pay for the memory.)

Just for the record, MS did release SP 1 for Vista and then pulled it due to a bug with the update. Information can be found at News.com I believe that it is still available via MSDN and TechNet but not for the general public.

no go for me. Doe snot see it as available. i will uninstall SP1 rc1 and try again

Back