Vista blew my laptop speakers?

Borgschulze

2[H]4U
I installed Vista on my laptop recently but had serious sound issues before and after turning up the volume to listen to some music.

I spent quite a while trying to get the Audio to work in Vista... I have a Gateway MX3210 upgraded to 1gb of RAM.

But the problems mainly started after turning the volume up very high and playing some music in Windows Media Player. The audio was fine for about 20 seconds, then it started to crackle and pop.

One thing I did notice is... Vista let the volume go much higher than in Windows XP.

So what I am wondering is,

Did Vista allow my volume to be raised much higher and destroy the speakers in the laptop?

The laptop uses AC'97 audio, I believe it is a Realtek chip, but so many sources give different brands that I can't confirm it without opening the laptop... and I don't want to open it other than the bays to change out the hardware, I assume it'll be a big pain in the ass to do so.

Also, in Windows XP, I have spent quite a bit of time with the volume cranked right up, but now I can't even take the volume up half way without crackling and stuttering.

"Vista blew my laptop speakers"

LOL

"USER blew his laptop speakers" would be more accurate.....

Can't blame Vista if you crank it to "11"... ;)

yeah sorry man but Laptop speakers tend to completely suck and I would not be surprised if they just gave it up. Get some cheap little add-on speakers that play out of your headphone jack is my suggestion.

what you should do is turn the 'wave' volume up about 1/8, and then use the main volume control like that.
i have a realtek audio thing in my laptop, and if i turn the wave up over 1/8, no matter what volume the main volume control is at, it crackles, pops, distorts, and whatever.

Or just do what I do and turn on kernel streaming and bypass every volume control and use your actual equipment to control it.

The fact remains, listening to music at loud, distorted levels will blow your speakers. Because you have a different set of drivers that allowed you to play the content with more distortion and clipping isn't the issue. The issue is that you played the speakers with distortion and clipping, blowing them.

Stop listening to music at levels that your equipment is incapable of properly producing.

Back