Vista can see network, but not internet

Hollow4

Limp Gawd
Problem: Vista Home Premium 64bit can see network, but not internet.

Background: I have had Home premium installed for about a month and not had a single issue. I was playing 2142 last till about 2am and then when i woke up this morning at 6:30 i couldnt log on to the internet. First thought, log into the router and see if everything is ok. So i typed in the ip of the router in firefox and it came up no worries, checked the DHCP tables and all the devices on the network were listed and all was well with them. Looked to see if i was given an IP by comcast and i had one. Still couldnt connect to the internet. So i grabbed my laptop running xp, which runs off the wireless router, and booted it up. Opened firefox and bang, theres google. With the hardwired vista machine i can still pull files off my servers and print to the network printers, i just cant get to the internet.

Question: Anyone have any ideas why my hardwired Vista machine doesnt want to connect to the internet when my XP machine will, and why i can still pull files off the networked servers and can print to the network printers but not see the net??

***I did have trouble, about a two weeks ago, with a patch that was suppose to take the limit off the number of connections i could have in Vista. it caused my ethernet port to turn off completely, but i managed to reinstall the correct version of the drivers and get it all working again and it hasnt been a problem since.***

Heres an update: i connected my Vista machine directly to the internet and still not able to connect. Anyone have any Ideas??

I get this problem to with my ISP, its my modem that seems to cause it. Vista says its connected to the network, I can access my router, my laptop can surf the web but my desktop wont. When this happens I just un-plug my cable modem and router, let the modem connect then plug the router in then let windows vista connect and see if that works, its how I fix mine.

I get this problem to with my ISP, its my modem that seems to cause it. Vista says its connected to the network, I can access my router, my laptop can surf the web but my desktop wont. When this happens I just un-plug my cable modem and router, let the modem connect then plug the router in then let windows vista connect and see if that works, its how I fix mine.

If it doesn't work after this its most likely a driver/software issue. I had some weird issues with Vista with regards to the network. I spent about 5-6 hours trying to fix it with no success. I eventually had to re-image the drive. Good Luck!

I suggest disabling IPv6 on that network card, usually doesn't do anything but every now and then for some reason it helps. :p

All of your post make me feel so warm and fuzy...

ok heres and Update:

I did . . .
ipconfig /release
/renew
/flushdns

That didnt get me anywhere. Then i read about pinging a website in CMD. so i did that and it wouldnt ping the dnss address, but it did ping the IP address. So im thinking its a driver issue. Also in my digging i figured out that Vista updated some things at 3am though i had it set not to auto update. I think my next course of action is to actually reinstall the ethernet controller stuff. I know how to do it in theory in xp, but in vista. The only reason why im think this might solve this is i unistalled something earlier from the properties list, by simple accident and not paying attention. So instead of being bale to see my network by tping in \\192.168.1.*** explorer and having my server show up, nothing shows up and i get an error msg. Funny enough though, if i open word, type test and print, the network printer still picks up the request.

anyone got any tips on reinstalling the ethernet stuff or reinstalling the IP stack for windows?? I would prefer not to have to reinstall windows, as i have a lot of photo editing to do tonight, and reinstalling would make me miss my deadline.

I will try resetting everything, though i have reset my cable modem like 4 times. its just so friggin odd that it has been working without incident for a month now. Granted i somehow lost the names of my linux servers in my move 3 weeks ago, but other then that everything with the networks have been good. Including 2 linux servers, 2 XP desktops, 2 XP wireless laptops, a Samsung network printer, and Epson 3800.

Thanks for the suggestions and if someone could point me to an article on uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet port in vista i would really appreciate it. Otherwise the system is getting the reformat.

Cheers Hollow

That didnt get me anywhere. Then i read about pinging a website in CMD. so i did that and it wouldnt ping the dnss address, but it did ping the IP address.

if it pings the ip address but not the domain address its a dns issue..

under ipconfig /all what are the settings for dns? (how does that compare to the windowso XP machine?)

i remember when i had comcast everynow and then the local dns would stop working..

i fixed it by manually setting my dns to a more reliable host..

Can you ping your DNS server? If not, that server is down (or something in between) and you will have to use a different server. Here are 2 that are really easy to remember -

Name resolution is not a driver issue...

Also check your hosts file for anything other than "127.0.0.1 localhost". If you don't recognize it, delete it.

Update: Checked the DNS settings on both XP and on Vista Machines, they are the same. Really the only difference is the between the two setups is IPv6. My xp machine is not running it where my vista machine is. Im suspect that this is causing the problem, because its telling me that the physical address is 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0. So im guessing the IPv6 is whats preventing me from connecting to the net. So now the quest is how to disable that.

Well it seems that the default gateway for IPv6 cannot be resolved, any ways to fix this. I tried turning off IPv6 but that just didnt work.

To disable IPv6, you uncheck the box in the network connection's properties next to TCP/IPv6. As for resolving the gateway, under the properties for TCP/IPv6 (same place), you can define a gateway but generally that is for static IP networks.

hollow i am curious to see what mobo you are running.....

a friend of mine had that EXACT same problem with his machine - he did much of the same things that you did with trying to reconnect and did even reformat and reinstall

bad part was after the reformat he could get on the internet but then had chronic lockups

He is running an Asus P5B deluxe with a E6600 and 7800GT

currently he is running XP - what are your system specs?

system specs are as follows

Mobo - Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
CPU - Q6600
Ram - 4 Gigs
Vid Card - eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb
Op Sys - Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Below are screen Shots
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

let me know if you want to see anything else

praise be Jesus . . . . or something like that, i "installed" an update that had ?!?!downloaded?!?! and it works now......

dont ask me how

praise be Jesus . . . . or something like that, i "installed" an update that had ?!?!downloaded?!?! and it works now......

dont ask me how

Redmond boys quietly patched another flaw in there before all hell broke loose. Vista rulez.. :D

Let me throw my 3 PC's at work into the mix on this problem.

It's the 3 PC's we have here at work running Vista Business...
Doesn't matter whether I use IE7 or Firefox, sometimes they just "drop" the ability to surf the web.
So I do some research on another PC... and make one change and try it... BAM it works. So I think I'm out of the woods and it goes back to not working.

We use autoconfig URLS here (basically a proxy server). I've disabled IPv6 as well as uninstalled the Link Layer items for my network card.
I tried just typing the IP address someone listed for google: http://64.233.183.99/ and it worked on Firefox... but not on IE. So I closed IE and BAM it started working pointing to www.google.com

What else you guys got? I'm more than willing to try anything.

i have the same problem with a lap top ---connect to a dsl and a college network. at home connect throught ethernet will not see internet keeps looking for network . but dsl works
even in internet set up keeps looking for internet or dsl with pass word . the link for internet is like missing for no pass word strange.

Back