Vista crash after resume: Anyone experience this?

tesfaye

2[H]4U
I put my machine to sleep this morning before leaving the house for work. When I got home I twitched the mouse to wake it up and it popped right up to my locked account as it should. However, a couple of seconds later I'm presented with that oh-so-lovely BSOD STOP ERROR 0x07A.

No biggie, it was test in the first place as I normally shut down so I did what any sane user familiar with windows would do in this situation which is shout "son of a bitch!" while proceeding to reboot the damn thing.

To my surprise, I didn't get a full restart, instead I saw the Resuming Windows boot screen that you normally see after a resume from hibernation. That was pretty odd but I did get back to the login screen where it showed my account as being locked. I logged back in and my desktop was fine just the way I left it and here I am typing to you guys and gals.

For the record I'm using a 2GB USB thumb drive for ReadyBoost. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Does Vista suspend to disk after a long period? I honestly haven't played with that feature since the nVidia driver issues with resume from way back which left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak.

If there is some fault tolerance built into Vista for sleep mode, I'm puzzled at how that data gets written. When does it have a chance becuase I don't see it writing to disk when I sleep the machine. The flash isn't fast enough to dump 2 gigs or even a gig of memory in a few seconds. Anyway, if anyone has run into this and or can provide some insight, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

What may have happened is that your battery was running low, and the machine when into hibernation.

Sleep and hibernation have always been a little flaky in Windows, though with Vista its gotten a lot better. Make sure that you have all of the latest and greatest chipset drivers for your laptop.

I'm not sure of the stop number, but otherwise that exact same thing happened to me today as well.

In my experience, it could be two things.
1) ReadyBoost
2) Nvidia drivers (if you have an nvidia card)

To the first, when I used my flash drive with ready boost, Vista started acting weird (beyond what it normally does). I read a few reviews on ReadyBoost and the reviews showed the performance wasn't worth it (with 2gb of ram) as well as there being a few kinks that still needed to be ironed out (remembering encryption keys after resuming from hibernation - theres a fix out). I stopped using ReadyBoost and the ReadyBoost problems stopped.

To the drivers issue, I read a few forum entries over at nzone about the subject (and have since lost their whereabouts). It could be related to some of the older 97-123 (ish? maybe?) Forceware drivers. I've only come across the issue once and I have my desktop set to hibernate after 60 minutes of inactivity. You can get the full error message if you go into the event viewer and rummage though your system reports.

But hey, it could be something else as well.

I ran the test on my desktop in my sig.

I'm using the 169.01 drivers. So far I've been able to resume each time without losing my display. Also, I can finally use my computer without getting that dreaded "Driver stopped responding" error.

I figured out what it was. I forgot about the new sleep feature. It's called Hybrid Sleep. I have it enabled which explains why putting it to sleep has a bit of a delay before going into STR mode. Basically it serializes the machine state to ram and to disk but resumes from ram unless there is a problem in which case it resumes from disk.

Regarding ReadyBoost, I don't feel a difference either. A few months ago I swore it helped a tad but not anymore. It might be the self tuning feature of Vista doing it's job since my install is used frequently and is months old. It definately helps on low memory systems. I felt better response from the OS using ReadyBoost on 512MB and 1GB computers.

thanks guys!

Kind of sounds like you got a hiccup in reading from the hibernation file.

BSOD 7a

Is it consistent? If it is, a few of us could look at a dump file and see if it might be a driver problem or something more sinister.

Hibernation is a write of the current system context to a file on the system.

Kind of sounds like you got a hiccup in reading from the hibernation file.

BSOD 7a

Is it consistent? If it is, a few of us could look at a dump file and see if it might be a driver problem or something more sinister.

Hibernation is a write of the current system context to a file on the system.
Investigating the error was going to be the next step if it kept happening but so far it has only happened once. I didn't get the error when it read the disk after the reboot, I received the error when it resumed from RAM a few seconds after the login prompt appeared.

Today I resumed from RAM successfully after 10 hours of sleep. This time I had more apps open. Devices initialized in the background and iTunes started playing music before I even logged in. I'll keep testing it. I like Hybrid sleep mode. The shut down is slower than suspend but bringing it back up is near instantaneous.

Investigating the error was going to be the next step if it kept happening but so far it has only happened once. I didn't get the error when it read the disk after the reboot, I received the error when it resumed from RAM a few seconds after the login prompt appeared.

It's still rebuilding the OS context at that point

Today I resumed from RAM successfully after 10 hours of sleep.

I want 10 hours of sleep. :|

Back