Vista download problems

TheNomad

n00b
Hello guys, first post as I can generally resolve 99% of issues without hassles, but this one has gone right over my head!!!! I am hoping that somebody can help!

On Thursday, I took the plunge & upgraded my perfectly functioning XP Pro SP2 VLK installation to Vista Ultimate Edition (I got the upgrade free of charge with my notebook as a deal bundle due to purchasing other accessories etc in one hit).

XP Pro SP2 VLK ran like an absolute dream with no errors or other problems at all on the Toshiba Satellite A100-756 notebook that I bought recently. In fact, Vista runs perfectly fine with Aero enabled on it as well barring this one niggly issue that I am finding with it (something I found with the Beta versions as well on other systems - both notebook & desktops).

Regardless of browser used (IE7+, Opera 9, FireFox 2) when ever I launch a download from a web site (regardless of file extension), I can open the file directly from the cache upon download direct through the browser, but if I click "Save", the browser closes without error or event log entry (this happens on all 3 browsers).

I have done the following so far and it is still the same problem;

• Turned off UAC
  • Disabled EVERY piece of security that I can find
  • uninstalled AV & other third party utilities
  • turned off ALL firewalls (hardware & software)
  • Done the same in Administrator account!!!!
  • Tried with IE Protected Mode On & Off
  • Lowered all Security settings for the Browsers & added the sites to Trusted Zone (non-HTTPS)
  • Disabled Windows Defender totally
  • Scoured the Web for 2 days basically looking for a solution, and nothing noted upon MS's Knowledge Base or Newsgroups (and nothing at all on any tech forums)
  • All software that is installed is Vista compatiable (checked with manufacturers prior to upgrading)

Specs of the Hardware are as follows;

• Intel Centrino Core Duo T2400 @ 1.83GHz
  • 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMM's (pair of 512MB)
  • 120GB 5400rpm 2.5" S-ATA Hard disk
  • 1GB ReadyBoost enabled Crucial FlashDisk
  • 256MB Dedicated VRAM ATI Radeon Mobility X1400
  • All hardware drivers are shown as working and fine in Device Manager
  • Notebook states Vista Capable on the branding stickers

This one has baffled me senseless now and other than this, everything is absolutely blinding and 100%.

Anyone got any ideas before I go completely insane???

Thanks in advance.

Uh mind to explain what sort of downloading problem ?

Well my download issue was when i save a file to my pc, then try to open it, it says file not found or been moved. But that was cauz the internet for browser was down when everything else like utorrent, mirc etc is all working.... when the browser internet was working i could download like normal ;/

Whenever this happened on an XP system, it was usually due to an issue with Explorer crashing upon getting the save prompt. I've seen it a dozen times. Only clear way to fix it AFAIK is to do a repair install of the OS (or a fresh install if formatting isn't an issue). Vista's repair options are supposedly excellent (haven't had to use them yet), but then again, Explorer has been vastly improved as well, and we just saw how well that treated you :p

Uh when the layer network detection thingy was acting up the vista prompted up that maybe i should delete the component so i click yes ok then, and shit goes to hell, net didn't work after that.

So i paniced and looked where to do vista repair. Didn't find it but luckily i have a system restore phew :D

Vista... a killer ... and a life saver ;)

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Given up with it now as I haven't got the time to mess around with it at the moment as got deadlines to meet for article submissions for the magazines I write for. Restored the Ghost image of XP I made before the Vista install (always do it as you never know & in this case saved me a fair whack of time).

I refuse point blank to use System Restore functions as they harbour problems that you have fixed along with other crap that generally gets into the systems.

The Explorer explanation makes sense, even tough unlike in XP & prior the taskbar etc doesn't disappear in Vista which is probably why I over looked it totally.

The wife also tells me that she couldn't upload anything to MySpace either as the image uploader would crap out upon clicking browse (obviously looking to open then Explorer box)

You might want to check the Toshiba website. There were a few posts that I came across, that were related to just Toshiba laptops using Vista.

Did you check the app log? That is actually helpful, few people use it.

Right click "My Computer" then pick Manage and you will find your way to the system and app logs...

Did you check the app log? That is actually helpful, few people use it.

Right click "My Computer" then pick Manage and you will find your way to the system and app logs...

Yes I did and it was empty of errors & warnings.

Update:

Just performed a clean install of Vista Ultimate, and the exact same problem again immediately. It will just not download any files and closes the web browser.

I have even tried a VLK version of Vista Business and the exact same thing occurs as well.

Nothing is listed in the Event Logs though which I find very strange, and nothing is being generated for Error Reporting either (and it is enabled before anyone asks).

I left Task Manager open and Explorer is not closing & restarting.

This one is doing my head in now!!!!

Update:

Just performed a clean install of Vista Ultimate, and the exact same problem again immediately. It will just not download any files and closes the web browser.

I have even tried a VLK version of Vista Business and the exact same thing occurs as well.

Nothing is listed in the Event Logs though which I find very strange, and nothing is being generated for Error Reporting either (and it is enabled before anyone asks).

I left Task Manager open and Explorer is not closing & restarting.

This one is doing my head in now!!!!

Just for the heck of it, have you tried moving the folder for your Temporary Internet files?

Create a temp folder off the root of c: and move it there.

Finally sorted it out!!!

It was the drivers for the Logitech DiNovo Media Desktop I use with the Laptop causing the problems. Nothing was flagged during the upgrade scan, but as soon as I unplug the Bluetooth hub it works fine. Strange I know. Searched Logitech's site tonight and found that they have new drivers for Vista for the original DiNovo so downloaded them, installed them and everything is still working fine.

Something to watch out for.

Back