Vista - Drivers Before SP1 (RC1) or Vice-Versa?

SP/Patches Before Drivers?

• Total voters

Hurin

2[H]4U
In all my many years of doing builds, I've always been of the opinion that basic drivers should be installed first before anything else is done on a new system. So, even before service packs, or Windows Updates, I would install motherboard chipset, video card, sound, and network drivers before patching the OS itself.

With Vista, I've come across some behavior that makes me think this might be in error. So, I've taken to installing SP1 (RC1) immediately prior to installing anything else.

So, I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm curious what you all do?

I dunno, I just let the installation take care of it. I put SP1 on it after it was all updated and it was faster.

Where is the option for "Waiting for SP1 final"? :D

I'll make a slipstreamed disk once SP1 goes final which will obviously install it before I update the drivers. Now I update drivers, then hit Windows update... not that I think it really matters, just habit.

i like installing whatever os service pack first, then i do online updating, then install all drivers... what do you install first inf driver or video card driver?

I'm looking forward to a slipstreamed DVD of Vista as well. But, in the meantime, we've got what we've got.

For the record, what prompted this question was that I had cleanly installed Vista, then installed Chipset, video, and audio drivers as usual. Then, when I tried to install my pre-downloaded version of SP1 RC1, I got an "internal error" after its green bar got about 15% across. Checksum showed that the file was not corrupt. .. and installation succeeded on the following attempt. But by that time, I was ready to just reinstall Vista again rather than go forward with a system that was already acting funny.

Thinking that the system was about as pristine as I could make it except for the drivers, I decided to just reinstall Vista, then try the Service Pack, then the drivers. No issues so far. Though I haven't tested any games yet.

Now, it's possible that the internal error was just a fluke. And I didn't have the time to go back and try to replicate the error fully. So, again, this is all just paranoia.

What's interesting though is that it appears that most people don't believe it matters, yet everyone (so far) does it only one way (if they chose among the first two).

I voted SP first and then drivers, on the fact that I think it is better to install SP2 in XP before I install drivers.

Service Packs / Updates first is my vote.

Reason being I'd like to see whatever O/S related files the manufactures replace as part of the hardware driver actually stay in place. If I remember correctly a good example was the agp.sys driver ... I think it is important that I use the copy nVidia / AMD provided (tweaked / optimized for their hardware) rather than the Microsoft provided generic copy. If you were to install the vendor driver first, then the service pack, you'd end up with some files from the vendor and others from the service pack.

It's also interesting to note you no longer receive messages about replacing newer copies of files with an older version ... I think the last time I saw that warning was on a Windows 98 update. Newer Microsoft O/S's just blindly replace files they contain.

Cheers!

Newer Microsoft O/S's just blindly replace files they contain.
Actually, that's not accurate. Generally speaking, the OS checks the file versions and packages and only updates files that should be updated. Which 99% of the time is better than leaving the decision in the hands of the often clueless user.

I usually install my motherboards drivers then do updates while downloading newest drivers for hardware like Video Card and what not.

I chose the last even tho my real answer is "Install the drivers necessary to get windows to an acceptable minimum or performance (vista is pretty much there out of the box, this is more for XP where you needed mfg video drivers to get past like 800x600x256), install updates to minimize time exposed to potential exploits, install rest of drivers"

Whenever I do a clean format and install of Windows, the latest SP always goes on first, followed by latest drivers/updates.

Back