Vista File Redirection via GPO

xtox

Limp Gawd
I'm having some issues with Vista documents & desktop redirection. It was already setup and working for XP clients but doesnt seem to do the same for Vista.

Is there anything special I have to do? The GPO is the standard built-in redirection rule which is enforced and set to all Authenticated users in the correct OU.

The files just don't seem to move across to the SBS server! Any ideas?

You have create/modify the policy from a Vista/2008 machine so that it generates the Vista specific policy. You have to manage all (for the most part) Vista/2008 policies in this manner.

Can I get away with doing this on one then GPO for the rest? What is the process, any link you have by chance?

Just a warning from someone else who had to do this. After you create a new GPO or edit your existing with Vista, never, ever, edit that same policy with XP. We created a separate object in order to link it to our Vista system container. This helped keep the policies separated and easily manageable.

I usually create two policies, one for XP users and another for Vista/7 users. Remove authenticated users group and create two groups, one for XP and another for Vista. Set the GPOs security to only allow XP users to the XP redirection GPO and Vista users to the Vista GPO. Then add the appropriate users to the appropriate groups and link the GPOs.

You do have to create the Vista redirection policy from a Vista or 2008 machine as was previously mentioned.

A single policy will work for both Vista and XP, but must be created via Vista.

weird, at my clients that have a single vista machine and all xp machines, i made the GPO on sbs2003 and it redirect my doc and desktop items.for both my xp and vista machines to \\server\username\my documents and \\server\username\desktop

I have also just found that in our own office the main DC is 2003 and it redirects vista machines here without any extra steps..weird! We do have a 2008 server tied to it though, make a difference?

Back