VISTA ForceWare Release 100.64

The latest driver seems to have stabilized a problem I was having with a game I'm beta testing. Before, I'd start the game, and there would be horrible screen freezing every other second, and about 30 seconds later, Vista would tell me about an unhandled exception and that my video driver stopped. Haven't had too much time to play around with other games yet, but so far its working for my single card configuration.

Any 7950 GX2 users on Vista tried this driver yet? Any improvement, change, anything?

Well adjustment for flat panel scaling is still broken, I also still have the problem of having to turn SLI on or off multiple times before the setting sticks. (I had this problem in Windows XP as well.) Multimonitor mode doesn't work right now either. All the colors on all my displays end up washed out when multiple monitors are enabled.

Basically, although these drivers show some improvement vs. the last drivers, they still suck and are no where near where they should be. NVIDIA needs to pull their heads out of their asses and get with it on driver development.

I haven't had any stability issues, and right now my single card performance is fine. My audio sucks, and that's Microsoft's fault really. At least Creative is trying to get something done about that by working around the design of Vista.

Creative?? The last time they release their Vista Beta driver was back in December 2006. So where the hell are they up to lately with our driver for the sound card?? Please do not talk about Creative in the same sentence since they are one of the worst company with drivers history.

Dan_D, in respect to multi-monitor mode being broken, are you just referring to running dual displays? I am not having any color issues, and I am also using Multimon with no problems....I assume you are using Vista x86?

I have my 24" running alongside my 19" ws, both running different "refresh" rates and resolutions.....

Creative?? The last time they release their Vista Beta driver was back in December 2006. So where the hell are they up to lately with our driver for the sound card?? Please do not talk about Creative in the same sentence since they are one of the worst company with drivers history.

Seconded, and can I get an AMEN???? :D I have not had a Creative sound card in years, and at this point, probably won't have one for a while either....my last best sound card I had besides onboard was a Turtle Beach.

Ah, yes. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. What a wonderful Gem that one was...

tried them and no go, it wouldnt start any game for me, 7600gs with these drivers are a no go, im stayin with the ones in their drivers

These trash drivers still dont play any games on a 6800. Nvidia is just a horrible company. I was already pissed at the ridiculous new control panel that is almost impossible to navigate, now theyve proven that they have NO idea how to make a driver. I cant wait for the ATI dx10 cards so I can finally jump off this sinking ship.

I would much rather wait 6 months for good solid drivers than get shit drivers and monthly incremental updates like Nvidia is doing...

My only question with the Nvidia drivers is have they fixed it so my 7800 will not be 3D full time? Thats the main reason i switched back i want the power profiles to work correctly between low power and performance running a heavily OC'd card 24/7 in 3D mode dont sit well with me.

I would much rather wait 6 months for good solid drivers than get shit drivers and monthly incremental updates like Nvidia is doing...

My only question with the Nvidia drivers is have they fixed it so my 7800 will not be 3D full time? Thats the main reason i switched back i want the power profiles to work correctly between low power and performance running a heavily OC'd card 24/7 in 3D mode dont sit well with me.

Are you shitting us? 6 months?? Why should I or the people who paid for something that you can't use for 6 months?? What's the point? Lucky I have a decent motherboard with a good onboard Audio or else I would be total pissed that I can't watch TV/moives and music at all and I would be all over Creative @ss!!

By the way, their shit video driver can't handle my UT99! Yes, UT99! I'm getting major headache after a couple of games because it's so damn choppy!

While Creative's drivers may not be perfect, Dan is quite correct in that audio issues in Vista are mostly Microsoft's fault at this time.

Microsoft did away completely with the old DirectSound3D model. This pretty much screws any Creative Labs owner and any audio solution that supports EAX (or EAX HD) through DirectSound. There are a lot of games that specifically support the old way of doing things, and for those games that cannot do EAX through OpenAL, you're screwed out of positional audio in Vista. There really is nobody to blame but Microsoft on this, and I think it's one of the biggest mistakes they made in Vista. It's also a big reason for me to drag my feet on purchasing it.

It would be nice to see Creative get a mature setup of Alchemy available, but they made no promises to hold them to in that regard, unlike nVidia. It does bother me that Creative seems to be leaving support for many older cards (personally, I'd expect at least minimum support of the SBLive! and later) out in the cold, and hinting "You want support? Buy an X-Fi". But if Microsoft had made better choices about the audio subsystem of Vista, a lot of this mess wouldn't be happening.

Back on topic...I downloaded the release notes on the new nVidia driver. I'm not impressed with the fairly small number of fixes from .59 to .64, and the lack of SLI support is still quite disappointing. I'm really starting to believe that nVidia targeted the G80 GPU's release when they did to make sure they beat ATI's R600 release "no matter what the cost", with the idea in mind that "Who cares about Vista drivers/support/etc. if we can get massive early sales out of the product and take marketshare away from ATI? After all, Vista isn't due out for xxx days yet, we have time to make it compatible, and if we fail for awhile, we've made the sales anyway." The problem is, corps like nVidia know that this won't come back to bite them all that hard --next time they release the new, latest greatest gotta-have-it product, enthusiasts (and enough review sites to make it matter) will have amnesia about the past that they'll buy the new model all over again. It doesn't hurt nVidia's bottom line to break these promises to customers because customers seem to have a really short menory.

I have an idea,

Why don't you just dual-boot for every DX9 game, and then only use Vista when you're playing a DX10 game.

I used Vista for a while, but was tired of problems with SLI support and horrible sound (lack of advanced sound effects).

So it's XP for me until some nifty DX10 comes out, then it'll be dual-boot, then when Vista is the axiomatic OS, I'll use it exclusively.

Dan_D, in respect to multi-monitor mode being broken, are you just referring to running dual displays? I am not having any color issues, and I am also using Multimon with no problems....I assume you are using Vista x86?

I have my 24" running alongside my 19" ws, both running different "refresh" rates and resolutions.....

Yes, I am using Vista x86.

I am running three monitors, and whenever I enable multiple monitors I have problems with the colors being washed out. I've got three monitors, all different makes and models, as well as resolutions.

I noticed from the release notes quoted on the [H] front page that one of the fixes is for an issue with the Cascade DX10 demo. Does this mean that nV DX10 demos are available now and capable of running? If so, what are they like? What kind of new goodies/effects/eyecandy do they showcase, and can any of them serve as a benchmark via FRAPS or the like?

These drivers work excellent on my Notebook (with modded .inf)! Played BF2142, smooth, pretty graphics.

C2D T7200
2GB RAM
GF Go 7900GS 256MB
Windows Vista Home Premium

I give up. Going back to XP. :mad:

What a shame, Vista is actually a very good OS, and NV has some drivers coming apparently, something on the 30th.

I am glad the 100.64's and 100.59's are working FINE for me....I just want some more speed since they are indeed a bit slower for me than under XP, but that will change.

I thought the main goal of this driver release was to provide support for the 320MB 8800s?

Also, what are you guys doing expecting SLI right now for the 7 series? Have you not seen Nvidia's statement that that would be coming in MARCH? Their goal for Feb. is to have WHQL status.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=357

Has anyone else here had an issue installing these that causes your monitor to completely turn off and when you reboot come up unviewable? If anyone has had this and resolved it, please let me know how you did. I am running on 100.54 and 100.59 and this latest driver both do the same thing.

Mine installed fine. I found another fix to a problem I was having. Under Vista Ultimate X64 when I would RDP into my system from another, it would blank out my desktop console and I'd never be able to get it to wake back up without rebooting It works fine now, so these drivers fixed my 8800GTX/RDP issue I was having.

I too reverted to 97.46's. Both of the 100.xx's so far have exhibited all kinds of weirdness. Aquamark scores are 20,000 higher than under the 97's but with severe jerkiness and some artifacting. 3DMark06 generally crashes to the desktop, 05's scores dropped. Can't overclock (as has been noted in this thread) when under the 97's I get 579/709 on my 7900GS.

A horrible step backwards other than the Quake 4 fix, at least for 7000 series cards.

I'm talking about Alchemy.

What a shame, Vista is actually a very good OS, and NV has some drivers coming apparently, something on the 30th.

I am glad the 100.64's and 100.59's are working FINE for me....I just want some more speed since they are indeed a bit slower for me than under XP, but that will change.

I'll go back to Vista eventually but right now things are just too unstable for my taste.

Are you shitting us? 6 months?? Why should I or the people who paid for something that you can't use for 6 months?? What's the point? Lucky I have a decent motherboard with a good onboard Audio or else I would be total pissed that I can't watch TV/moives and music at all and I would be all over Creative @ss!!

By the way, their shit video driver can't handle my UT99! Yes, UT99! I'm getting major headache after a couple of games because it's so damn choppy!

First off whos "Us" do you represent a group here?

Secondly i simply stated my opinion i would rather let vista sit in my drawer until real good drivers are here if that takes 6 months so be it, IMO its better than what you guys currently using vista are going through. Why torture yourself with these shoddy driver releases and incompatibilities when you could just as easily switch back to XP and wait it out?

I remember when XP was new i found myself with a nice shiny OS sitting in my drawer then too.

First off whos "Us" do you represent a group here?

Secondly i simply stated my opinion i would rather let vista sit in my drawer until real good drivers are here if that takes 6 months so be it, IMO its better than what you guys currently using vista are going through. Why torture yourself with these shoddy driver releases and incompatibilities when you could just as easily switch back to XP and wait it out?

I remember when XP was new i found myself with a nice shiny OS sitting in my drawer then too.

Well right now, the only real driver glitches I have are with the Forceware 100.64 drivers. Basically the multi-monitor thing doesn't work. SLI won't enable or disable on the first try, SLI performance is crap and flat panel scaling options are broken.

The sound issues seem to be resolved with Alchemy or the most part and OpenAL games are unaffected. I can live with the audio suckage anyway, the video performance on the other hand is a hard pill to swallow.

I'm seeing a whole lot of anger at the driver set, but from what I can tell, just about everyone in question is running a SLI setup. Has anybody been trying these drivers with a single GPU setup, and if so, how's the performance? I'm having some inexplicable stability issues with my XP install and I'm taking this as a cue to give my Vista DVD a try finally. I think I've seen one or two responses that sound similar to my setup and were doing fine, but I just want some confirmation before taking the plunge.

For reference, I'm running a 7800GT, not overclocked or anything fancy (I'm a wuss with this kind of stuff nowadays :p ) and am wondering how these drivers are shaping up for those of us who are a little less funded and exploratory. ;)

I'm seeing a whole lot of anger at the driver set, but from what I can tell, just about everyone in question is running a SLI setup. Has anybody been trying these drivers with a single GPU setup, and if so, how's the performance? I'm having some inexplicable stability issues with my XP install and I'm taking this as a cue to give my Vista DVD a try finally. I think I've seen one or two responses that sound similar to my setup and were doing fine, but I just want some confirmation before taking the plunge.

For reference, I'm running a 7800GT, not overclocked or anything fancy (I'm a wuss with this kind of stuff nowadays :p ) and am wondering how these drivers are shaping up for those of us who are a little less funded and exploratory. ;)

I am running a 7900GS on my Vista machine, and they are horrible.

Anyone that is interested in CoH I went down from 74.1 AVG FPS using the (100.54s) to 60.1FPS using the (100.64s), minimum went from 20FPS (100.54s) to 9 FPS (100.64s). Needless to say I don’t game in VISTA just yet, in XP my AVG is 79.x FPS and minimum is 31.x FPS.

My specs are in sig.

I'm running a GEFORCE 7900GT KO 256MB/Vista x86/Viewsonic VG2030WM and noticed a drop in frame rate in BF2142 last night. I'm also getting a lot of "ugly" when I come out of a screensaver or game, with the video going crazy (looks like someone put my screen in a blender and turned it to frappe). I am able to sometimes recover from that with a three finger salute, as the Task Manager prompt screen would come up OK, then cancel out back to desktop, but as of late, that isn't even working.

I haven't been able to drop back to desktop from either 2142 or a screensaver since I've been on Vista. Been pretty happy with the OS so far, but may go back to XP for a few more weeks until they either get some stuff straightened out.

dont know if anyone mentioned this, but these drivers don't like video overlays.

Back