Vista Home Premium 64 bit question

Swingman

Limp Gawd
I just purchased Home Premium and from what I've read it apparently only has the 32 bit version. I was thinking of buying the 64 bit version from microsoft and just wanted to get feedback if that would be a good choice.

My system
C2D E6420
eVGA nforce 680i LT SLI
2 GB Patriot Memory (soon to be 4 GB)
320 GB 7200 Hard Drive
Geforce 7900 GS KO

I use my computer for gaming, surfing, word processing, etc. I heard Creative has bad 64 bit drivers but fortunately my only creative accessory is Creative Webcam instant.

Anyway, is 64 bit good enough to go to without driver issue headaches?

32bit Vista is pointless, you're better off on XP.

At this point, in my opinion, the only reason to run Vista period is to have a 64bit OS that is priority #1 for Microsoft. And you only need that if you have 4gb+ of RAM.

I'm dual booting XP32 and Vista64 at the moment. XP does everything faster. All my apps/games, startups/shutdowns, file copies, ect.

Cliffs: Vista64 or nothing.

Most people here will tell you if you have the correct hardware (which it appears you do), go 64 bit. I haven't regretted it one bit.

Most people here will tell you if you have the correct hardware (which it appears you do), go 64 bit. I haven't regretted it one bit.

i agree once i put in 2 more GB of ram i went back to vista 64 Ultimate and i love it. everything is fast way better then XP

You should be able to get the x64 version from Microsoft for the cost of shipping. I'm not sure who told you it isn't available in x64, but every version except starter is.

*snip*

What that person probably meant is that you can't find a retail copy of x64 editions available for purchase directly in the store, with the exception of Ultimate, which includes both x86 and x64 DVDs in the box. Probably so Joe Sixpack doesn't try to install the x64 edition on an earler P4 or Athlon XP and wonder why it doesn't work. You know, idiot-proofing.

OP, if you're planning on expanding to 4GB of RAM soon, go with x64.

actually, I think he meant exactly what he said.

Since the individual purchased the 32 bit edition at retail, the 64 bit edition is available to him directly from MS for, I believe, $19.99.

if u havnt used your cdkey yet, borrow the 64bit ver from a friend and use your cdkey. keys will work with any ver, but once you activate it, that key will always be stuck in that ver.

You will need 64 bit if you got to 4GB of memory. 32b windows doesnt recognize over 3 I believe

Keep your OS. Just download a 64-bit Vista ISO from the usual places (arrgh, matey!) and use your legitimate CD key. It will work fine and Microsoft won't know or care what you did.

32bit Vista is pointless, you're better off on XP.

At this point, in my opinion, the only reason to run Vista period is to have a 64bit OS that is priority #1 for Microsoft. And you only need that if you have 4gb+ of RAM.

I'm dual booting XP32 and Vista64 at the moment. XP does everything faster. All my apps/games, startups/shutdowns, file copies, ect.

Cliffs: Vista64 or nothing.

Love my Vista :)
Awesome interface, given right hardware my apps run alot better. Better functionality, terrific features across the board.

Whatever you choose, Vista is great IMO. 64bit edition is terrific given you have 4gb of ram. I have not ran across anything that will not run/install on my x64, well, besides this really cool sidebar clock :(

Love my Vista :)
Awesome interface, given right hardware my apps run alot better. Better functionality, terrific features across the board.

Whatever you choose, Vista is great IMO. 64bit edition is terrific given you have 4gb of ram. I have not ran across anything that will not run/install on my x64, well, besides this really cool sidebar clock :(

Yep. Sick of those pointless comments."Vista is pointless"

Alright um, what about everyone else who doesn't have any problems with it?

I just built my first Vista system and Im running Home Premium x64 and I have yet to find a game or other application to not install on it. All the cool little features and the way Vista looks is just great, maybe the luster dies out after you own it for awhile but right now I think its great. Only thing that I have found is that Divx is not on there yet. There might be a possible workaround to get it but have not researched it yet.

If you purchased the retail home Premium, you might as well spend $10 more for the x64 disc. Takes about 10 days through the mail.

The biggest adjustment for Vista x64 for me was having to replace any hardware or software that uses unsigned drivers. I guess this is some sort of security feature....but it just kills me that they wouldnt at least you the user say "yes this one unsigned driver is ok....so Vista, don't throw a hissy."

Yep. Sick of those pointless comments."Vista is pointless"

Alright um, what about everyone else who doesn't have any problems with it?
If you press the people who bash Vista, you soon find they don't know what they are talking about...usually.

The fact of the matter is, as end users, we have to valid options for running Windows, even if we have 4 GB of memory. There's no reason to bash XP or discard it as yesterday's news....but there's no reason to bash Vista either, because it works quite well in it's own right.

The problem is, we need people to wise-up a bit, and stop spreading FUD and misinformation. If you don't want to use Vista, fine, but don't walk down Ignorance Road and bash people who do.

The biggest adjustment for Vista x64 for me was having to replace any hardware or software that uses unsigned drivers.
I know of some software apps that won't work properly (and their are replacements), but what hardware have you had to replace because of unsigned drivers?

If you press the people who bash Vista, you soon find they don't know what they are talking about...usually.

The fact of the matter is, as end users, we have to valid options for running Windows, even if we have 4 GB of memory. There's no reason to bash XP or discard it as yesterday's news....but there's no reason to bash Vista either, because it works quite well in it's own right.

The problem is, we need people to wise-up a bit, and stop spreading FUD and misinformation. If you don't want to use Vista, fine, but don't walk down Ignorance Road and bash people who do.

Indeed. I have an Exchange class that just started, well somebody started a convo about how bad Msoft is and how bad Vista is. Got me fired up, after awhile, I found out taht nobody has even tried Vista there....

You'll lose a few things if you stay in XP.

First of all, you lose the need to hunt cats and dogs to find working and fast drivers for your hardware. You also lose need to use anything but several months old, signed drivers on your hardware anymore so could start play any latest games right away. Sux innit?

Second you lose having to dump all your old printers and software applications which either not work at all or become buggy under Vista. Well, to be exact, you also lose not being able to use _any_ special hardware from small vendors such as robotic devices or the sorts.

Third you lose the joy of having to disable various 'security' measures in Vista that will make you dig your eyes out of their sockets.

Fourth you lose the neverending joy trying to figure out where function x could be found now as it's not located in the place where it used to be (for no apparent reason, too).

I mean you'd be stuck using your familiar, fully working and flawless computer instead of getting to tweak and fix the fancy new early adopted system. Who'd want that? :rolleyes:

Back