Vista HP retail and CPU upgrade

oboyco

Gawd
I have Vista home premium retail installed now with an AMD 3800 x2. I just received my 5000 black edition and was wondering if I should be prepared for a reformat. I have my important files backed up now but not really as prepared as I should be for a full reformat.

I want to install this processor now, and then upgrade to my Ultimate 64 I received for participating in their survey, when I have more time to do it correctly.

I have Vista home premium retail installed now with an AMD 3800 x2. I just received my 5000 black edition and was wondering if I should be prepared for a reformat. I have my important files backed up now but not really as prepared as I should be for a full reformat.

I want to install this processor now, and then upgrade to my Ultimate 64 I received for participating in their survey, when I have more time to do it correctly.

You don't have to worry about backing up your files with a CPU upgrade, it would be more important if it was instead with a hard drive upgrade. Just install the CPU, reactivate Vista (b/c with all hardware changes Vista needs you reactivate), upgrade to Ultimate 64-bit and be on your way.

You don't have to worry about backing up your files with a CPU upgrade, it would be more important if it was instead with a hard drive upgrade. Just install the CPU, reactivate Vista (b/c with all hardware changes Vista needs you reactivate), upgrade to Ultimate 64-bit and be on your way.

Wow, you managed to give bad advice and FUD in the same post. :p

Anytime you go messing around inside the computer, you should have at least your important data backed up. Zap the motherboard and your up the creek.

And Vista doesn't just deactivate on a whim like it used to, even then it took changing a X1900 to a Geforce2 and back to deactivate on me. I've upgraded my laptop from 512MB to 2GB and my desktop from an 8500GT to a 9600GT + 3GB to 4GB with no problems with activation.

Now in the OP's case, wanting to upgrade a 32bit OS to 64-bit, you are going to have to reinstall by booting the DVD, and it's best to wipe the drive and reformat it before installing. So yes, prepare for a reformat.

Sorry, should have said I have 64 bit HP now, and will format my hd when I upgrade to Ultimate. Clean start.

So what you are saying I may just have to reactivate, and not reformat. And yes, anytime I make an upgrade like this I am prepared for the worst, loss of all data.

So what you are saying I may just have to reactivate, and not reformat. And yes, anytime I make an upgrade like this I am prepared for the worst, loss of all data.

More or less. With just a CPU swap, especially of the same generation, I seriously doubt you'll have to reactivate unless you've made a few other changes within a short period of time.

Back