Vista Innovation @ [H] Consumer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The major system integrators have helped MS become almost as easy for the normal person in that they included a "restore disc" that any body can pop in their drive and start afresh. As far as out of the box useability: Mac wins. (period) Having worked with PCs since 87 and recently getting a Mac mini to learn about the OS I can see why artists, musicians and others are drawn to Mac - because they are not geeks, they want a computer to do the things they want it to, and do it without having to devote a significant portion of their time on this planet to learning the ins and outs of an OS. I will always have a PC for gaming, but right now is there any reason to get Vista besides the strong arm of a monopolistic DX10? Do I want HD content on my PC? No, I have a 57" Hitachi for that. and even if I do there are other solutions available (not to be discussed on these forums)

Vista = Fail it's just more bloat for so few features to make the call of "voluntary upgrade extortion" an apt observation

Now that I have used all three, XP is my preference over OSX or Vista by a large margin.

If Apple opened their systems for upgrades, they wouldn't be able to sell you a horrendously overpriced $2500 system every other years, with the main reason to buy it being gimmicks such as thinner screens (who cares?)
I care. You don't, and that's fine, but there are people out there that care. Unless I can help it, I intend to buy no other monitors than Apple Cinema Displays from this point forward. They're perfect for me, the price is right for me, so that's what I intend to buy. Eventually that may change, but not for the time being.

I've been doing quite a bit of prodding around lately, and I have to say Apple's current line is pretty competitive with respect to pricing. There are exceptions, like the Macbook Pro, but I suggest you evaluate the options available from Apple and try to find similar products for substancially less money.

And, yeah, Apple wants the consumer machines to be throwaways. Of course, many have no objections to buying brand new Macs every now and then, rather than Frankensteining an existing machine.

HopePoisoned said:
and open source has no relationship to the word maturity last time I checked
Sure it does. I'm afraid you have a bit more to learn about the glories of open source software.

Obi_Kwiet said:
if MS didn't include the Apple rips offs, Mac fans would bash MS on the basis that it didn't have those features.
How about new features? Why duplicate when you can innovate?

Apple's guilty of rip-offs here and there -- there's no doubt about that -- but there's solid innovation there. With Windows, it tends to be a situation of "improve the core a bit, then just do whatever everybody else is doing with respect to the user interface". It's all just very boring.

To comment on the article, I think it's all pretty silly. There are some logical holes overshadowed by what appears to be pure emotional attachments to particular brands and particular products. I imagine it's retribution for Kyle's inane and childish comment regarding Apple, but it's pretty over-the-top.

EDIT: And doesn't this all seem very Donald-and-Rosie? Seems to me like a typical Shake and Bake tactic on Kyle's part.

Oh well, at least I know who to NEVER read another article from. Cuts down on time I spend here I suppose.

Wow, some of the responses in this thread really surprise me. The article is an expression of an opinion formed by the author. Nothing more. Many sites have author comentary of a wide range of issues. Why flame for that?

Wow, some of the responses in this thread really surprise me. The article is an expression of an opinion formed by the author. Nothing more. Many sites have author comentary of a wide range of issues. Why flame for that?

Touched a raw nerve, I guess.:eek:
was also uncharacteristic of this site,somehow.......cant quite wrap my barbed wire around it, but it just didnt feel right.

I will always have a PC for gaming, but right now is there any reason to get Vista besides the strong arm of a monopolistic DX10? Do I want HD content on my PC? No, I have a 57" Hitachi for that. and even if I do there are other solutions available (not to be discussed on these forums)

I'm going to guess that the voice recognition might be useful. I never tried it, but if it worked with games, esp in MMOs, it'd be a winner. I'm not really sure about the HD stuff, but if you can connect an XBOX HD DVD drive, that's a pretty cheap HD drive....and youcan always use the PC to record HD (though I've only used a 3rd party HD recorder...beyond 3D(?), or something like that, a few years ago).

Vista = Fail it's just more bloat for so few features to make the call of "voluntary upgrade extortion" an apt observation

Now that I have used all three, XP is my preference over OSX or Vista by a large margin.

I have to say I'm not completely sold on Vista either (and despite upgrading computers, I'm still using vista), but only 2 things hold me back:
1. crappy video drivers = a huge lost in FPS inside of everquest (not that I've had time to play it since upgrading :rolleyes: )
2. I can't run at 1920x1440 @85hz (or even 75hz) in Vista. I can in XP (maybe that's the same problem as #1).

Now if I ever find a good LCD (that's good for photos and games) that's reasonably priced and can do at least 1920x1440 (more is better), then I may open that copy of XP business sitting on my desk.

One could argue that the editorial was nothing but a 2 page flame fest.

Like I have stated before, there is nothing wrong with someones opinion, everyone is entitled to one. However, there is a right way and a wrong way to give it. Go back and read it again, it was very direct in the since that he was automatically putting people in groups, and by reading the replies. To sum this may have come across as somewhat of a personal attack. Bottom line is, this, "opinion" was not up to the standards many readers are accustom to. There is a right way and wrong way to give an opinion.

Funny no-one mentions Quartz vs Desktop Window Manager. I hope next Vista moves even more desktop work to the GPU, as OS X 10.4 Tiger is capable of.

- Dashboard has visual frills and thrills galore. In addition to the Exposé-style activation, there's an extremely cool water ripple effect when a new widget is activated. Closing a widget causes it to be sucked back into the tiny "x" button like a piece of transparent taffy. The "widget drawer" on the bottom of the screen, activated by the slightly larger "x" button in the lower-left corner of the screen, pushes the entire screen background upwards as it appears. The widgets it contains slide in from the left. Dragging a widget icon out of the drawer causes it to do a cross-fade "morph" into its full-sized form.
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/17
http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/dashboard.html
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

If the Vista desktop was accellerated with OSX Tigers capability *I don't think OS X Tiger has this enabled, it will be in Leopard* window resizing and thumbnail interpolation operations would run on the GPU, and the Vista UI could be as snappy and responsive as XP is on current hardware.

And of course fixes the ugly linear shadows.
vista_and_OSX_shadow_compare.png

Wow. I can't believe Vista's drop shadow is overlapping itself there.

What is this, amateur hour?

Once he insulted the enthusiast PC market, I quit reading.

News flash buddy, this is HARDOCP, the premier PC enthusiast website, where our computers are "duct taped and barbed wire'd" together.

Where we mod cases, build badass rigs, and have free reign on the price, and ability of our machines.

If you want to insult the enthusiast market, get the hell out of here.

It is hard to believe that the [H] editors and KB are not pushing "Sir Scott the NOT SO BRAVE" into some kind of defense of his opinion.

I suggest the following be quoted when (perhaps if) he shows up again.

Brave Sir Scott ran away ...

Bravely ran away away ...

When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.

Yes, brave Sir Scott turned about, and valiantly, he chickened out.

Bravely taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat. A brave retreat by brave Sir Scott!

I figure if he had anything more to add, he would have done so by now. Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back