Vista Key Shenanigans

Azphira

[H]ard|Gawd
Will a Vista Home Premium retail key work with a Vista Home Premium OEM 64 SP1 disc?

Or am I still doomed to the 30min of installing sp1 and post install cleanup?

I can't relate to that issue personally, but a Vista Business N doesn't work with Vista Business. That's how my installation got screwed. If it's not an upgrade disc I think it should work though. But I can't say for certain.

As long as your disc is official, from Microsoft, it should work just fine. If it a restore disc from the OEM, and not a standard disc, it might not work.

Only slightly OT, but why are people so against installing SP1 after an install?

It takes no time at all on a halfway decent machine/connection. Not to mention to effort, just run windows update and walk away.

I always prefer to have my SPs installed as part of the OS install. I'm patterned that way from the issues XP had with installing an SP on a system that's been running for a while. However, if someone had downloaded the full install file, and just used that immediately after Vista's install was complete, it should be fine, and it should go quickly.

Back