Vista Media Center & AC3 sound

asmielia

Limp Gawd
Hi, I just installed Vista RC2 on my HTPC. I've got two issues right now. 1 is that I installed Win XP drivers for my soundcard since I couldn't find Vista drivers for it. The result is that the sound works but there only seem to be options for 2 channel output, even if I enable digital output (it's connected to my receiver via SPDIF). So all AC3 sound is being downgraded to regular stereo right now. Is this due to the XP driver I'm using or is there anything I can do to get that working?

Also, in Media Center, the remote I have works, but it seems to repeat inputs. I'll hit the arrow once and it will move 2-6 spots. Really annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adrian

It's onboard sound with my MSI K8N Platinum SLI board, which is a Sound Blaster Live 24 bit 7.1 card. It's a weird card, sort of a hybrid between an Audigy and a Live. I can't find drivers for it on Creative's website but I haven't looked very hard. So I'm just using the XP drivers from MSI's website.

Thanks a lot for finding that. I should have looked harder.

I tried both of those on that page, they both seem to install just fine, but with the latest one, sound properties say there are no installed output devices. The older one has the same problem as the one from the MSI website, only supports 2 channel sound.

I don't even care about multi channel sound though, I just want SPDIF passthrough, I'm trying to figure out why that isn't working? I've enabled digital output on the soundcard through Vista, so I do hear sound, but I can't seem to get AC3 filter to send the unmodified Dolby Digital encoding straight to my receiver. I'm not sure if this is a driver problem, or if I'm just not setting up AC3 filter properly.

Anyone have any luck with this?

Oh and btw, that problem with the remote in media center went away on its own, so this AC3 problem is my last hurdle to using Vista full time on my HTPC.

Thanks,
Adrian

Back