Vista: No RDC without Ultimate?

rbanzai

Limp Gawd
I was thinking that Home Premium would be good enough for me, but I use RDC under XP to connect to the servers at work so I can do support after hours/weekends. In the comparison charts it looks like I would need Ultimate to use RDC.

Am I just misinterpreting the chart? If I get Home Premium can I continue to use RDC the way I do now?

Yes, you're misinterpreting it. That graph is talking about connecting IN to the Vista box. Any versions of Windows in recent years can act as the client machine.

Ah, excellent. That will save me a fair bit of money... I don't think there's anything else in Ultimate I would need.

Yep, even my Win2K box at home has Remote Desktop Connection software, so I can remote in to my XP machine at work. I got it off the Microsoft web site.

But Vista Home (or XP Home, or Win2K) does not support the other way around - can't remote desktop in to a VH machine. Then again, that's what VNC is for, I guess...

you could get business. but if you want media center its only like a $20-$30 difference to ultimate

Back