Vista On Sale Tonight

HardOCP News

[H] News
Windows Vista is going on sale tonight and some retailers are opening at midnight to sell Microsoft’s latest OS. Anyone planning on hitting the store at midnight for Vista?

Retailers Comp USA and Best Buy will be opening some stores early, using a tactic typically reserved for video-game consoles. The software can be purchased either alone to upgrade older computers.

Nope.

In today's paper there's an article about how people did, however, line up for Win95 :p

I did that!

Of course, CompUSA was giving a free motherboard and CPU away with the purchase of Win95 at the time (i think an asus mb witha p233mmx? or it mught have been a p166 or something)

why buy it when there are so many legit ways to get it for free...
You may have to wait, but hell, save 150-300$

To be honest, if I lived near a location the Bill Gates was going to be at...I'd do it. Then again, I'm a sucker for launch events...we gave out Starbucks coffee / hot chocolate to people that waited in line for the Wii, PS3 and 360 on launch day.

Gonna wait for it all to play out and see what it's like. I'll stick to my xp/fedora dual boot for now. I'm also not a fan of DRM and I've heard Vista supports it quite well :\

Gonna wait for it all to play out and see what it's like. I'll stick to my xp/fedora dual boot for now. I'm also not a fan of DRM and I've heard Vista supports it quite well :\

what is this DRM and Vista i keep hearing about? Does it mean I can't backup CDs/DVDs?

I too would like to know the legit way to get it for free. Downloading it off a P2P site isn't legit.

Preview programs, Microsoft trainings, etc. all give it for free "legit", as does MSDN etc.

Unless they change the EULA, you're not allowed to use the MSDN release in a "production" environment.

Only as a development platform or test bed.

Trust me, my old company got burned by that (30+ servers all Win2k Server, from MSDN. MS was not happy with them)

I'm quite happy with XP on one of my systems and I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. If I find a legitimiate way to get it for free or very little money, I'd consider it. In addition I'm a Ubuntu and OS X person.

As it stands right now, I'll get Vista Ultimate for 150$US through my friend who works at Intel. I think that 500$CAD for Vista is crazy solid.

I'm quite happy with XP on one of my systems and I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade.

Same here, and mostly because my computer sucks and I don't have the funds yet to build a new one. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :p

Vista is falling well short of XP as far as performance, in some instances getting a 12 to 15% gains but in other areas, (gaming etc...) loosing as much as 98% in some benches.

Numbers

I've got one of the upgrade copies, (business) coming but I'm not going to install until these performance issues are ironed out.

Same here, and mostly because my computer sucks and I don't have the funds yet to build a new one. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :p

...And diversion of pre-allocated pr0n funds into system upgrade is not an acceptable alternative. :D

Well, Texas A&M is getting Vista Ultimate for students in March. We get the x86 and x64 versions (2 CDs with unique license #s each) for the very reasonable price of $10

Just in time for my May graduation! tee hee :p :cool:

And I'm sure you will give up the license, and purchase a 'regular' copy elsewhere once you're out, as you are supposed to ;)...

Windows Vista is going on sale tonight. Anyone planning on hitting the store at midnight for Vista?

If Bill was there, and if they gave it away I wouldn't attend. There's really nothing in Vista to get excited about.

geeze, you guys are slow, I'm already running Vista Ultimate x64.

geeze, you guys are slow, I'm already running Vista Ultimate x64.
The tortoise was slow, and yet the hare lost, if I recall correctly. ;)

I'll get Vista when:

- I can get it from a Microsoft gathering, like I did my 25-CAL copy of Win2k3 Server, or
- I can get it at an academic price (due to my job, I legally qualify) or via MS Action Pack
- I am satisfied that full driver support and application compatibility is there for what I currently run
- I'm sure it won't slow down my rig compared to how I currently do things, or annoy me too much via UAC and DRM
-I'm sure I can get a version that won't puke if I change system boards (this isn't as big of an issue, but I'd rather know what I'm getting into than suffer early-adopter's Hell)

I already have a box running RC2; I haven't seen any "need-to-have" features so far. Windows Mail is better due to Junk Mail being added, the Sidebar is mildly useful, and the OS is pretty, but I can accomplish those sorts of things with open-source addons to XP.

There's plenty to get excited about. Have you read much about it?

Read much about it? I've been running it. I've run several variations of it. It's a pig. Nice window treatment but too costly in price and hardware. Beyond that, Vista doesn't seem to have much on XP which already works quite well. Certainly nothing worth going to any "event" for.

what is this DRM and Vista i keep hearing about? Does it mean I can't backup CDs/DVDs?

It's refering to Vista's Support of Protected High Definition Content. In a nutshell it supports High Def media (Like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD) that use content protection (HDCP). That said, There is currently no content that uses it nor will there be any until at least 2011 (If at all).

It's worth noting that, currently, neither Mac OS-X or any flavors of Linux have any capacity to run Protected HD content at all.

- I am satisfied that full driver support and application compatibility is there for what I currently run
This is what I am waiting for. I can't just go out and buy an OS and 70% of the stuff I use (apps/hardware/whatever) doesn't work.

I want to get XP64 really bad, but I can't because of driver issues.

There is a store near where I work, that is selling: "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - license and media - 64bit" for $159.65 CDN.

????

Now it doesn't say anything about these being budled with system or whatever, however when I go up a directory on their site, it shows all the different versions of vista you can get and shows pictures for a few. The picture, when you click enlarge, shows a discalimer that you can barely read that says: "each individual software license inside this package may ONLY be distributed with a fully assembled computer."

??? WTF ???

DX10 WOULD BE THE ONLY REASON TO UPGRADE. for those using DX10 hardware waiting for the games.........?

Been running it about 2 months now (technet). Meh. Its just shiny, but hardly ground breaking on the surface. I guess I was expecting more since I have been using OSX since launch. I think there are some things that are a bit annoying like right clicking the wireless icon on the task bar. In XP, you can right click and get to the status which shows your IP address, etc. There are extra steps to get to that same information in Vista which I do not believe is necessary, nor 'easier to use' . Lots of interesting doo dads under the surface, mostly things you need extra contraptions for that I probably will never need, though hey! Ya never know. The networking aspect has interesting features and it seems to me the work place and the LAN is where your going to get the most out of it. In a one puter house though...XP is more then adequate. Got Dial-Up still? Don't even bother IMO. Needs some tightening up...I say wait for SP1.

There's plenty to get excited about. Have you read much about it? I bet you use ME and enjoy it :eek:

Sigged :D

As far as moving to Vista, I think not. XP will be the last Microsoft OS I ever use for myself (unless they get their act together, then they may win me back, but I highly doubt that).

It's refering to Vista's Support of Protected High Definition Content. In a nutshell it supports High Def media (Like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD) that use content protection (HDCP). That said, There is currently no content that uses it nor will there be any until at least 2011 (If at all).

It's worth noting that, currently, neither Mac OS-X or any flavors of Linux have any capacity to run Protected HD content at all.

Fight the Power!

Got mine last Friday. Didn't have the heart to tell the PC store they were selling early until after i was done with the purchase. :D

Vista is falling well short of XP as far as performance, in some instances getting a 12 to 15% gains but in other areas, (gaming etc...) loosing as much as 98% in some benches.

Numbers

I've got one of the upgrade copies, (business) coming but I'm not going to install until these performance issues are ironed out.

Maybe when these games and applications are optimized for Vista, they may run alittle better?

I'll upgrade my home system when there are applications that require it....

I'll upgrade my work PC when we renew our MSDN and Partner Programs.

And I'm sure you will give up the license, and purchase a 'regular' copy elsewhere once you're out, as you are supposed to ;)...

Per our student EULA:
"You will be required to remove the Software from your
personal machine immediately upon the earlier of (a) any event, with
the exception of graduation, which causes you no longer to be a
student of the institution, or (b) the expiration of the Campus
Agreement 3.4 Subscription term without a new agreement in place
(i.e. Texas A&M University does not renew the agreement).

If you graduate during the agreement term, the Software
license will convert to a perpetual license (meaning you own the
Software) as verified in your Student License Confirmation, which may
be obtained from Texas A&M University at the time of graduation. The
Student License Confirmation is proof of Software ownership."

Nice tried, sir. Try again. ;)

Numbers

Tom's? LOL!!!

A real site: firingsquad said:
As you can see, the Radeon X1950 XTX actually recorded a performance improvement under Vista, at 1280x1024 the margin is 15%, which is much higher than we expected to see, especially considering that the X1950 Pro didn’t register any performance improvements in this game. The X1650 XT also saw a performance increase of 13% under Vista at 1280x1024. Nice!

LINK: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_performance_amd_catalyst_7.1/default.asp

Back