Vista - Slow Network Transfers = Multimedia Class Scheduler

Toytown

Gawd
Ive had this problem for some time but just worked around it, hopefully there is a solution though. I have several computers in my house and one of the media centers that is hardly ever used always has its network pegged at either 6MBytes/sec or 10MBytes/sec for writing data , receiving data from the system is fine at 60-70MBytes/sec and is limited by the HD.

Today i found the problem in the Multimedia Class Scheduler service that is installed by default, whenever i disable this my writes jump back to around 60MBytes per second, the problem is that this also disables the sound on the system, so isnt a great alternative, also restarting the service to get audio means by speeds drop back to 10MBytes/sec

I could understand this if the computer was playing back Media, etc to stop it becomming jumpy/skippy, but all the times ive noticed it, the machine is idle at the desktop with no applications running and between 0-2% cpu usage on a dual core.

All machines are Vista SP1 with the latest updates, anybody have any ideas how to stop this and get my network running full speed all the time?

Back