Vista SP1 and still a slow network

Soujiro

Gawd
Well, compared to pre-SP1, it's better, but I wouldn't call 8MB/s on a gigabit lan speedy either.

I have this computer connected to a netgear prosafe gigabit switch to my Gentoo NAS running samba. Using XP I can get 31MB/s easy but under Vista I can only average around 7.5MB/s.

I have remote differential compression disabled already, but that didn't seem to improve the situation any. Disabling auto-tuning hurts more than keeping it on normal. Any ideas?

The nas has a Intel 82572EI PCI-E, I'm using the realtek 8111b that came with the motherboard.

Join the club. I average around 11mbps on my Vista machines, that is before and after SP1.

We might as well install 10Mbit NICS in all our Vista rigs and go back to damn 10BASE2. :D

Join the club. I average around 11mbps on my Vista machines, that is before and after SP1.

We might as well install 10Mbit NICS in all our Vista rigs and go back to damn 10BASE2. :D

Token Ring networks FTW!!!!

Ahh the days of terminators and co-ax.......:eek::p

Has to be a driver issue. I get over 50 mbps on Vista. Check your driver setting in device manager.

I'm not sure what else I need to do. I updated the realtek driver to the most recent one (march 7, 2008) and turned on jumbo frames. I'm still getting 13MB/s tops.

I'm running Vista SP1 home premium x64 and I get a very steady 48 to 52 mb/s when transferring back and forth from my server running Server 2003

I'm not running Jumbo frames either, make sure all of your hardware supports jumbo frames before enabling it.

Check to see if you're running a firewall/internet security/av thing on your vista box and if you are disable it.

I have two Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit machines networked with a gigabyte switch, cat6, etc. File transfers from PC1 to PC2 go at 50-60MB's/sec. If I try and do the opposite, PC2 to PC1, I will only get transfers at 14-15MB's/sec. This makes no sense.

ya im also having network speed issues on my vista machines at home, if i do XP to windows home server (server 2003 with a sweet plug-in) i get in upwards of 45% network usage on my gig network.
if i do vista (1 of each x86 HP and x64 ultimate) i get 5-11% usage,
even the 2 laptops on wireless are faster then the vista machines ROAR.....sorry now i feel better.

one vista is using the built-in nforce i650sli nic, other is nforce4 nic all into a dlink gig switch

My transfer speeds suck as well, even with all the network setting tweaks applied. I still have times when copying large files, it just drops and gives up.

Back