Vista SP1 RC1 is out

How is the memory usage ? Is it still hogging memory as it used to be. I will install it tonight.

You do understand that actually using the memory is a good thing, right?

It is pre-fetching all your most used programs so they load faster. If you open an obscure program it will automatically free up resources.

Why have 4 gigs if all it is ever going to use is 256mb?

How is the memory usage ? Is it still hogging memory as it used to be. I will install it tonight.

It doesn't "hog" memory. It preloads your applications into RAM. SuperFetch. This is the #1 reason to upgrade to Vista! (seriously - not being sarcastic - look at all my posts over the last year in this forum... SuperFetch pwns)

It is pre-fetching all your most used programs so they load faster. If you open an obscure program it will automatically free up resources.

Where can you find a list of all the programs using the pre-fetching and can you remove programs from pre-fetching?

Where can you find a list of all the programs using the pre-fetching and can you remove programs from pre-fetching?

I think it does it automatically based on what programs you open the most. So if you open firefox all the time, then firefox will be prefetched. If you open Word all the time then word will be prefetched.

Why would you want to keep it from prefetching if it is going to make programs that you open all the time open faster? It isn't keeping anything else from using the memory, it is just making use of memory that isn't being used. Thus making better use of your hardware.

It doesn't "hog" memory. It preloads your applications into RAM. SuperFetch. This is the #1 reason to upgrade to Vista! (seriously - not being sarcastic - look at all my posts over the last year in this forum... SuperFetch pwns)

Thanks for posting this. How often is this RAM thing going to be brought up. Superfetch is fantastic and is one of the things that makes Vista way better then XP. On my current system (which also has XP and Ubuntu on it) Vista is the fastest one is regular use. Give Vista the resources and it runs great. Besides what is the point of having 4GB of RAM when the majority of time barely any of it is in use. As long as the system can dynamically free up RAM for large apps when needed it is a great solution.

For the guy saying 2GB of ram is in use there is something wrong. On most systems with 2GB Vista will use 500-750MB on Boot up. On my 4GB system it normally uses 1000-1200MB of RAM on boot up.

Read up on Superfetch. There is no reason to stop it from preloading apps. If you open a game and it requires 2GB of RAM it will get that memory as Vista will give it all that it can use. Superfetch is only making use of RAM that is sitting idle. Take a look at the average XP system with 2GB. The majority of the time only 1/4 of that is in use unless you are running a game or doing a something intensive. Vista makes the system faster by making use of the RAM.

That's good to know, thanks. Just for reference, what are your computer specs? I'm on the rig in my sig.

My Specs

Watercooled X6800 running at 3.6Ghz
4GB Ram
Raptor 150GB
8800GTX 768MB
Vista Ultimate 32bit, XP Pro, Ubuntu 7.10 64bit

Can we please not talk about memory usage/superfetch AGAIN. let the ignoramuses wallow in their idiocy and keep it to sp1.

still trying to find it early :(

is super fetch a SP1 add-on or is it standard with ALL vista installs?

is super fetch a SP1 add-on or is it standard with ALL vista installs?

Obviously if poeple are commenting on the entire year's worth of threads covering this, its surely not isolated to SP1. Its been around since the first day of release.

can someone post some system, memory and 3d benchmarks between non and sp1? thanks!

I plug it in, and it says "Code 10: Device Can Not Start" but when I plug it into my wifes laptop that has XP on it, it works fine.

And yes, I have done driver cleaner to remove every instance of the Zune and reinstalled it with the same result and this problem is not just on my Vista based desktop, its also on my Vista based laptop.

Do other USB devices work for you? My iPod Nano and USB Drives work fine on both XP and Vista for me

I wonder what % of Vista hotfixes are not out, but in the pack? Because the networking issue had mostly been resolved some time ago in my tests.

I have a copy of Vista I got at release that I had installed for about a month, but I haven't had it on since and haven't been following updates on Vista. Does Vista still have a lot of problems with wireless NIC's? I remember having to hack my installation up pretty good to keep my connection from being dropped every 15 seconds or something ridiculous like that.

-edit- didn't see the last post before I posted...I hope that means the wireless problem is fixed, then. i'll put vista back on soon as i can find the time.

Yes, Vista is a memory hog, and we all know it. 1.5 - 2GB with VERY few programs running. It doesn't matter to me as I've got 3GB.

Yanno, while I'm doing my best to restrain myself, it would really be nice if people that supposedly have some intelligence 'round these parts would simply stop fucking saying this because it's utter fallacy and untrue.

So please, do yourself and the rest of us a favor: learn more about Vista, learn more about how it works, learn more about how it's not XP or any other version of Windows that has come before it, and stop spewing this garbage out. Please?

Yanno, while I'm doing my best to restrain myself, it would really be nice if people that supposedly have some intelligence 'round these parts would simply stop fucking saying this because it's utter fallacy and untrue.

So please, do yourself and the rest of us a favor: learn more about Vista, learn more about how it works, learn more about how it's not XP or any other version of Windows that has come before it, and stop spewing this garbage out. Please?

lol, qft, that's what I wanted to say.

Now let's get back on topic because I just read an old thread where people were banned for getting a Vista/XP debate for no reason.

Guys if I install this do you think I'll get kicked off from Punkbuster, Steam games?

I know of at least two utilities that will cause this:

1. WinZip.
2. ZipMail Outlook.

If you use either of these, let me know and I'll write up the fix.

Has anyone had an issue with right clicking something in task bar quick launch? On basically every Vista system I've used, if I try and right-click a program shortcut in the Quick Launch it takes upwards of 20 seconds for the right-click menu to show up, very frustrating. Is that worked out in SP1?

Other than that, I've been using Vista for about 6 months at work and home and had next to no complaints about it. I love it!

Superfetch is only making use of RAM that is sitting idle. Take a look at the average XP system with 2GB. The majority of the time only 1/4 of that is in use unless you are running a game or doing a something intensive. Vista makes the system faster by making use of the RAM.

Yet are we 100% positive using RAM is healthier than keeping the RAM idle? With most electronic devices having them running only when necessary means a longer lifespan. If I know I'm not using MSOffice during the weekend I'd like to remove it from the pre-fetch list. Superfetch is a nice feature, but do we have any control over this feature?

I haven't seen any solid answers to the two questions...
Is there a way to view the current pre-fetch list?
Is there a way to remove items from the current pre-fetch list?

Your RAM is DRAM. That means it's being refreshed a bajillion times per seconds. It doesn't make a whit of difference whether you have data stored in there or not... except your system will respond better when you don't have to go to the hard drive for data since it was cached under Vista.

Again, it DOESN'T MATTER if Office is cached if you don't use it during the weekend. If you load a program that needs the memory, Vista will yield the memory for it. The end result is the same as XP (yielding memory has no cost) where you load from the hard drive.

There have been times when every Windows OS I've run since the year 2000 - including Windows 2000, XP Pro 32 bit, XP Pro x64 64 bit, Windows Server 2003 32 bit, Windows Server 2003 x64 64 bit, and Vista 32 and 64 bit also - will give me that sudden incredible lag when right clicking the Taskbar, or dropping a shortcut on the QuickLaunch bar. I've never been able to locate a "fix" for this, nor have I found any mention of such an issue anywhere online, but I do find people bringing it up sometimes.

I think it relates more to video drivers than the OS itself, hence the rarity of people bringing it to light in the first place.

I haven't installed Vista SP1 just yet, perhaps over the weekend I'll get around to it, and then try to "force" the lag to happen.

Isn't that "lag" actually Explorer having to sit there and activate/enumerate all the drives on the system? Mine does this all the time, it'll spin up the CD drive, power up my external USB HD etc when I'm just doing basic things like copying a file on the main HD, making shortcuts etc... I've never understood why it has to access drives that it isn't even being asked by the user to access. One of the things I was hoping they'd changed in Vista that wasn't...

So has anyone found a torrent to this thing yet? If anyone finds it can they post the exact name of it since it seems like there are a lot of dumbasses that upload SP torrents without saying which release it is.

Is there anyone currently using Vista with a wireless NIC that can confirm it's working ok. I imagine it's working now, but I'd like to confirm before I spend the time putting Vista back on my machine.

Is there anyone currently using Vista with a wireless NIC that can confirm it's working ok. I imagine it's working now, but I'd like to confirm before I spend the time putting Vista back on my machine.

Have not had any problems with the Intel wireless NIC in the Toshiba Satellite A100 I am using at the moment here, nor with the Broadcom wireless NIC in the Compaq Turion based notebook that is also on the desk. Both have been working fine since the OEM version of Ultimate hit the shelves at launch.

OK, I have two Q's

1. Is the prompt for allow/not allow for running stuff with uac been sped up? It's slightly annoying to wait while it screen shots then displays the prompt.

2. Is the right click context menu in explorer fixed? I'm running 64bit version, and my programs don't appear on the right click context menu in file explorer, BUT, they do when in the mini browser when you are choosing a save location when you download something.

So has anyone found a torrent to this thing yet? If anyone finds it can they post the exact name of it since it seems like there are a lot of dumbasses that upload SP torrents without saying which release it is.

If you're not part of the beta program, if you're not a member of Connect, and if you don't have an MSDN subscription, access to this Service Pack for this moment until the public beta program is opened in the next few days, then acquiring this service pack would constitute pirated soffware and... well, if you start going that far not only will this thread get locked but you'll end up probably getting banned.

I'm not a Moderator, but I am "warning" you to be aware of what you just said. I'm not saying torrents are bad or illegal; I'm saying this service pack isn't public and free for just anyone to have.

Just my $.02...

Have not had any problems with the Intel wireless NIC in the Toshiba Satellite A100 I am using at the moment here, nor with the Broadcom wireless NIC in the Compaq Turion based notebook that is also on the desk. Both have been working fine since the OEM version of Ultimate hit the shelves at launch.

Weird. I have a business version, but I don't see why it would make a difference. I'm using the integrated wireless NIC on my Asus P5W DH, and when I had Vista installed previously, the only way to keep the connection from dropping constantly was to remove IPv6 addressing and a couple other things, along with some registry edits.

Job sponsered MSDN subscription FTW! Now with that out of the way, I can FINALLY transfer my 30+gigs of WMA files that I converted from FLAC to my other hard drive. Until SP1 the damn task would hang about two minutes into the transfer. It was reproducable each time. Explorer would become useless at that point and I would have to reboot. Now the files just fly at 78MBps! Network transfers have improved as well. I used to see 10MBps now its 40-50+MBps from my Vista box to my WHS machine.

Weird. I have a business version, but I don't see why it would make a difference. I'm using the integrated wireless NIC on my Asus P5W DH, and when I had Vista installed previously, the only way to keep the connection from dropping constantly was to remove IPv6 addressing and a couple other things, along with some registry edits.

We all run wireless on laptops/desktops at work and have never had any problems. I don't think we are running any Vista Business though, only Home Premium's and Ultimates. But so far, my laptop, my desktop at work, no problems at all with wireless.

My mom's laptop runs fine on Vista. Not Business edition, but Home Premium. No problems at all with the wireless.

I had an earlier version installed and got rid of it. Now when I try to install the RC1 I get this error.

Anti-Virus is disabled.

An internal error occurred while installing the service pack.
Error code: 0x80073712

Vista Home Premium 32-bit

I've had no problems running Vista x64 w/wireless NIC cards. 2 desktops, one with a Linksys card (WMP54G), one Trendnet card (???), plus an integrated wireless on my laptop, which is a Dell 700m (Vista Business 32-bit).

Only problem with the Linksys is the stupid antenna keeps falling off!

I'd like to see some 'FUD' screamers admit they were wrong as things are starting to get fixed in the very much broken first release of Vista.

Winzip for me.

Ok, try the following:

1. Open WinZip
  2. Select Configuration from the Options Menu
  3. Click on the Explorer Enhancements Tab
  4. Under "CHeck for self-extracting CAB files:", remove the 'X's for "On Removeable Disks" and "On Other Drives"
  5. Do the same under the "Display comment tool tips for Zip Files" section
  6. Save the settings and reboot.

This should shave a bit of that delay off...

I have a dell XPS 1330 with an Intel Wireless NIC and never had a problem with it even before SP1.

Back