Vista tips, tricks, and tweaks, redux

Vista generally runs incredible for me. I'm very pleased, but I have one problem...

Anyone notice that when running WMP11, with the WMP taskbar on, that it takes up an enourmous amount of resources if you're multitasking? My machine doesn't hang, but it gets noticeably sluggish, and this seems to be sporadic rather than constant.

Try the ClearType Tuner from Microsoft. Guaranteed to clear things up or your money back! Well not really but here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

The Windows XP installer works for Vista. Don't worry, it's not a driver or anything. It just changes the settings and doesn't touch them again until you run the program and change something.

BBA said:
Installing my X-Fi in Vista x64, got the same thing, driver gave an error on first load, then after reboot, no audio. I reloaded again, got that message you show above.

So, I found the command to disable driver integrity check, rebooted, volume control icon came up but I can not select speakers, it's stuck on digital out.

So, has anyone got the X-Fi working on Vista X64?

Same here on my system.. (x64) from what I've read no one can get them working. Creative needs to get with it and give us some drivers!

AARGH! said:
Anyone get onboard Realtek audio working in surround mode? This is on an Asus P4PE

Thanks,

AARGH!

Mine didnt install, but i do have my audigy hooked up and using it right now. Strangely enought hough the compatability wizard didnt tell me that their was an issue with my onboard sound, not that it bothers me, it seems to have actually disabled it for me, unlike xp before it so go figure.

did see it anywhere, but here is my post from the other Vista thread about getting UltraMon to work

Actually Ultramon is supported, but when you install it, you have to unselect the DisplayMirror option, then it works fine. But if you dont, you have to get into the registry and disable it from there, but everytime I did, it told me I didn't have permission to do so even though I am the only admin on the system. I found that information in the Ultramon forums Click Here go to the second post

Vista RAID internal RAID support is pretty dated, a good rule of thumb is that if you needed to use a disk for XP, you'll need it for Vista too.

This is just getting silly now.

MartinX said:
This is just getting silly now.

but atlest you wont need a floppy any more Vista will take the install time driver on any thing now :rolleyes:

Weird file permissions quirk in Vista -

I have Vista on a separate drive from my XP drive (no screwing with bootloaders.)

I noticed that Vista takes permissions very seriously - so much so that I could not edit Word files or create new files inside "My Documents" on my XP drive.

I'm not sure if there's a better answer somewhere - but if you go to properties/sharing of the file folder on your XP drive you want to be able files on, you can edit them after you hit apply. Of course now you have to remember what folders you just shared...

Does anyone know a better way?

StaticSurge said:
Same here on my system.. (x64) from what I've read no one can get them working. Creative needs to get with it and give us some drivers!

and please refer to post #46

I have not gotten the 5.1 surround to work either. I have an X-Fi card with 10-10-06 Vista beta drivers. The speaker test in Vista works on all 6 speakers, BUT when I play an MP3 thru WMP 11, nothing from the rear at all. I think it's something with WMP.

I just installed RC1 64bit. I finally got everything working except my MSI US54SE wireless adapter. I had a differant and I am now useing it. I got to say,from first impressions I kinda like it. But I am still learning how to use it, theres alot of differances and I have to unlearn all my old ways of doing things. I am going to be useing some of the tips listed by the op for sure! I think security is over done, but with all the crap out there I know why they have taken it so far, not everyone out there is s wise as us when it comes to security. I have redone my Sister in laws Computers 4 times now because she keeps downloading those "Free" software she finds on the net. I keep telling her to stop but she just wont, so I had to tell her I simply wont fix it anymore, to take it to a shop and have to pay to get it redone, maybe when she has to pay $150 to reinstall windows because she has so much spyware and viruses that it wont run anymore she might start to be more careful.

Only quistion I have is why I dont have the option for the Glass theme, I have a Radeon X1800XT 512meg and it passes all the tests I have done to test Vista compatibility. I downloaded the Beta Cats on ATIs website.

sluzbenik said:
Weird file permissions quirk in Vista -

I have Vista on a separate drive from my XP drive (no screwing with bootloaders.)

I noticed that Vista takes permissions very seriously - so much so that I could not edit Word files or create new files inside "My Documents" on my XP drive.

I'm not sure if there's a better answer somewhere - but if you go to properties/sharing of the file folder on your XP drive you want to be able files on, you can edit them after you hit apply. Of course now you have to remember what folders you just shared...

Does anyone know a better way?

you can but you have to turn off the stuff in vista that nags you about every thing for get whats it called

then you should be able to

Diablo2K said:
Only quistion I have is why I dont have the option for the Glass theme, I have a Radeon X1800XT 512meg and it passes all the tests I have done to test Vista compatibility. I downloaded the Beta Cats on ATIs website.
How much normal RAM do you have? You need at least 1GB to activate Glass. Run the Performance Test again.

ChronoReverse said:
How much normal RAM do you have? You need at least 1GB to activate Glass. Run the Performance Test again.
I got 1.5gigs

havent been able to run divx or xvid videos on it, but i think it might have something to do with my AC97.

SVTStingRay said:
havent been able to run divx or xvid videos on it, but i think it might have something to do with my AC97.
I didn't have any problems installing Divx 6.4. Divx web player will turn off Aero and you have to close the browser and not just the tab hosting the plugin to get Aero back. Divx movies in WMP play just fine. I'm using the system in my sig.

Im running the 64 bit RC1 version. Everything runs fine except one thing. I have 17' Mag CRT monitor and Im locked into a 1024*768 resolution. I cant change for anything higher. I know this monitor goes up to 1280*1024 cause I ran it just fine in Windows MCE2005. Anyone know how to fix this? I have tired list modes monitor cant display tab but Vista reset's it to a 1024*768 resolution.

Hey Guys. Just installed upgraded my laptop's Vista beta to final. :)

I wanted to report a problem and a fix:

Today during the whole install process my icons on Vista got corrupted and after a quick google search I found out that the only fixes available were for XP and lower. Apparantly it's a very common windows problem when the Icon picture becomes corrupt and the wrong ones are displayed for certain icons.

The fix is this:
Right Click Desktop > Personalize > Tasks (On the left side) > Change Desktop Icons > "Restore Default" button.

This should reset the icon cache and get all the icons back.

There is a button in Vista that I am greatly missing. In explorer, you use to be able to click the up arrow "UP" one level.

Is there a way to customize the address bar and add this button ? didn't find a way!!

Soberteq said:
There is a button in Vista that I am greatly missing. In explorer, you use to be able to click the up arrow "UP" one level.

Is there a way to customize the address bar and add this button ? didn't find a way!!
I remember seeing this posted on other forums and no answer being provided. I think this is one of those things you will have to live with. The breadcrumb trail (or whatever they officially called this new navigation technique) is your new best friend. :)

Is there a registry tweak for the Vista explorer which brings the menu bar above the ribbon?

I'm looking for something similar to IE7's:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]
"ITBar7Position"=dword:00000001

But for explorer.

Hey I want to resize my vista partition but I can't. I'm not sure if this is possible or if I have to reformat to do this. I tried Vista's build it partition extender in Disk management, but the option is disabled on my Vista and XP partitions, but works on my storage partition. I was wondering if anyone knew if this is suppose to work, because I found a guide where it looks like they did this, but I don't get the option to do it.

http://vistafaqs.com/viewfaq.aspx?faq=89

My HD looks like this

30 GB Vista (Primary) | 30GB WinXP (Logical) | 195 GB Storage (Logical) | 44 GB Free Space 44GB

Vista's ability to shrink/expand partitions will only apply to non-system partitions, period.

You'll need to use a third party tool - my recommendation is Acronis Disk Director. Partition Magic is still around but it hasn't been updated for a long long time now (still at v8) and I doubt Symantec/Norton plans to do anything with it anymore, who knows.

Thanx Acronis Disk Director looks like a good program, I tried the demo and it seem like it would have worked, but you can't actually do it unless you buy it. So well I just reinstalled windows again since they where both fresh installs anyway.

Few things about Vista compatibility.
It seems like Vista has different hardware access layer. The usual tweak tools (says CPU voltage, multiplier changes, benchmark, etc) like RMClock doesn't work with Vista. It does run but not able to change those parameters. Vista override all setting. :p
Another thing is Vista 64 seems to have many software compatibility issues with many 32-bit software. WOW engine and digitally-signed driver get in the way most of the time. I guess it will go away after Vista really hit the shelves (for a while).
Also, Vista 64 seems to run slower :) well, at least with 32-bit software and WOW engine. Tested with Nikon Capture NX (.NET 1.1 software, RAW image processing).
I have tried those on both 32 and 64 bits versions. Both are RTM (MSDN) version build 6000. Overall experience is very stable. Tad slower with XP 32 (10% or less, sometimes vista 32 is faster occationally) but with prettier interface. Vista 32-bit seems to run faster than 64-bit counterpart in real world. Probably because 32-bit drivers are better than 64-bit (even though, I got ALL drivers for 64-bit version of my HW but might not be as mature as 32-bit counterpart). Hopefully, newer softwares will have more 64-bit versions soon. For now, I stick with 32-bit Vista due to software compatibility.

Has anyone got screen rotation to work with current Nvidia drivers while still being able to use Aero? I used iRotate and got screen rotation to work but Aero was disabled in the process.

any drive work for GeForce Go 7600 for vista???

i have a notebook HP dv9000 cto and nonencounter the way to make work my video card, already uses controllers 100 of forceware but without nothing profit

I read somewhere this was going to be the case but I don't see how after playing with my copy for a couple days. Am I missing something?

Does anyone know where is the start menu stored? I'd like to be able to organize my start and program files menu

Back