Vista Troubleshooting - Various Problems!

rgratto2

2[H]4U
Within the last few days, my work laptop has started acting up. It has been running generally slow, but there have been several other, annoying symptoms:

Symptoms:

- Automatic updates have been failing. I tried to update yesterday, the first update finished, but then the 2nd (Windows Powershell) was sitting on the install at about 40% for over an our before I pulled the plug on it.

- General software installation has been slow. I installed SuperAntiSpyware today to start some troubleshooting, and it took about 2-5 full minutes to install. Should take like 30 seconds. When I started the scan its not really doing shit:
5y452009101406amj

Its at 31 minutes now.

- I can't upload files. I tried to put that screenshot up on imageshack, and the upload failed. I then tried to upload it to gmail, and that failed too.

Troubleshooting Steps:

Thus far, I have started up a full antivirus scan (McAfee, required since its a work pc. I use NOD32 at home), and have been attempting the spyware scan. I went to the Conficker Eye Chart, and it says I don't have anything. These sypmtoms have all started around the 1st, however.

Where do I go from here? The antivirus scan is going to take awhile to complete (it is actually running), but the spyware scan seems to be completely borked.

If it's a work computer, re-image the machine. Better safe than sorry.

I made an image of it a few months back after I set everything up. We are a smaller company, all have different machines, and really dont utilize images well like we should. So, I could restore to that but I do have files on the system and would rather not deal with that whole process if i could avoid it. I wouldnt even be able to re image it this week anyways because its going to be a busy week.

If it were up to me and I had full control, I would wipe the drive clean, then partition it so that I had an OS partition and a files partition, but... our IT guy (if you could call him that), deosnt want me to do that so that he could do the dell restore crap if ever needed. That just tempts me to get a different and faster drive (5400 rpm ftl) and keep the other drive around to restore to that if he so desires...

Back