Vista Ultimate and MS Office

Correct - it does not.

In fairness to the OP, I've had this question from a few other people as well, and I think some confusion comes from what different OEMs are offering as package deals. One of the local stores, I saw, had their PCs configured so that on the low end machines, you got Vista Home Premium w/MS Works added in. On the high end machines, you got Vista Ultimate w/MS Office added in.

Of course, what they don't tell people is that you are paying for Office - it ain't free. :D

Correct - it does not.

In fairness to the OP, I've had this question from a few other people as well, and I think some confusion comes from what different OEMs are offering as package deals. One of the local stores, I saw, had their PCs configured so that on the low end machines, you got Vista Home Premium w/MS Works added in. On the high end machines, you got Vista Ultimate w/MS Office added in.

Of course, what they don't tell people is that you are paying for Office - it ain't free. :D

yer true, OEM's have done alot to simplify the build and use of PC's. majority of people don't realise what is involved in setting up a PC from install the OS, the drivers, the updates, the programs. majority of people do expect/think PC just work

Just found out Open Office can be used with Vista, which is sweet. The only problem is that I want a program like Outlook. If Open Office offered that, I'd be all over it.

I'm a big fan of Outlook as well, but apparently Evolution may be released for Windows.

I'd do some checking before you install office. Apparently 2000 doesn't work with Vista. Can't imagine why Microsoft would make that so.

I'll have to look into that. Last time I saw anything about Evolution for Win32, the build number was very very early...like alpha early.

Correct - it does not.

It also comes from the general public thinking of Office as part of Windows. Seriously it happens alot.

Actually - Evolution has come out on Windows (but not Vista): http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/ Not sure when it'll be made Vista compatible, if ever...
Haven't tried Evolution myself, but I recall an IT journalist newsgroup discussion earlier this year (sorry, it's not publically viewable) where Evolution and other alternatives were discussed in some detail as potential Outlook alternatives.

Those who gave Evolution a good run found it to fall well short for data retrieval purposes in particular. Recent changes in MS Outlook have really impacted on the users ability to search for and retrieve information stored within the archive of email. If your usage leads you to maintain large archived stored of historical messages, and requires you to refer to them, then there really isn't a suitable alternative available unfortunately. Outlook has shot too far ahead of the pack in that regard.

Back