Vista Upgrade Guide

HOCP4ME

2[H]4U
Here's a Vista Upgrade Guide I originally wrote for Epinions. It covers everything form deciding which version to buy to installing Vista to tweaking the OS for the best experience. Most of the installation part pertains to the full version, not the upgrade version. I hope everyone finds this useful. Since I wrote this for Epinions it may contain some references to my review of Vista which is also posted there.

Should I Upgrade? Vista is a great product, but it is not for everyone. The first decision to make is whether you should even upgrade to Vista at all. Before upgrading, you must ask yourself three questions:

Can my Computer Handle It? Compared to XP, Vista is a resource-hog. The extra resources go to good use, but you must have a fairly fast computer to run Vista smoothly. Here are the recommended system requirements for Vista Home Basic (the most basic edition, which also has the lowest system requirements):

-1 GHz Processor
-512 MB of RAM
-20 GB of free hard drive space
-DirectX 9 Graphics Card with at least 32 MB of memory
-DVD-ROM Drive (Vista comes on a DVD)
-Internet Access

If your system does not meet these requirements, forget about upgrading to Vista right now. There are also "minimum system requirements" above which Vista will run, but if you do not meet the recommended specifications, Vista will run too slow to be worth the upgrade.

Since the Home Premium, Home Business, and Ultimate editions of Vista include the Aero desktop interface, you must have the following in addition to the requirements above:

-1 GB of RAM
-40 GB Hard Drive (still only 20 GB must be free)
-DirectX 9 Graphics Card with 128 MB of memory

If you don't meet these requirements, you can still use the higher versions of Vista, but you won't be able to use the Aero interface.

So, assuming you meet the recommended system requirements, the next question you must ask yourself is:

Do I Have the Time? To upgrade to Vista, you must have some free time. The amount of time it took me to upgrade was:

-2 days of preparation time (you can do other work during this time)
-1 day of installation time (getting Vista installed, updated, and set up)
-1 day of problem-hammering time (getting compatibility problems fixed so your system is in complete working order)

That makes two days of partial free time followed by two days of complete free time (think weekend). If you are unable to make this amount of time for upgrading to Vista, do not upgrade. You may get lucky and not run into problems, but as with most things in computer world, you must expect the unexpected.

Assuming you have free time, you still should not upgrade to Vista when you are working on important projects and absolutely need your computer in complete working order after finishing. There is a small chance you will run into larger problems that will take more than one day to fix.

If you have the time, the final question you must ask yourself is:

Is it Worth it to Me? Vista is expensive, and an upgrade can be somewhat time-consuming. Also, there is a small learning curve as you get used to the changes in the new operating system. If you're completely happy with XP and cannot see yourself benefiting from Vista's new features, or if there is a specific bug in Vista that you cannot live with, you shouldn't upgrade. There is no reason why you should waste time and money doing something that won't benefit you in the long-run.

Assuming you've decided you can and want to upgrade, you must start by making a few decisions:

64-Bit or 32-Bit? Each edition of Vista comes in two versions: 64-Bit and 32-Bit. Don't know what that means? 64-Bit is an enhanced processing mode that has been available on AMD and Intel processors for several years now, and every new processor made today (that is powerful enough to run Vista) has 64-bit capabilities. For a long time, nothing used these extra capabilities, but the release of Vista in a 64-bit version is starting to change that. The operating system can now take advantage of the extra speed and security found in 64-bit processors. The advantages of 64-bit Vista include:

-Better stability - I don't know why, but many users have found the 64-bit Vista to be more stable than the 32-bit Vista. My guess is that Vista was written in 64-bit first and then ported down for the 32-bit version. Anyway, I myself run the 64-bit version and it is rock-solid stable, while I often hear horror stories of daily crashes and data loss from users of the 32-bit version.
-Better memory management - Vista 32-bit can only see and use up to 3 GB of RAM, and even then, it gets somewhat inefficient in using more than 2 GB. Vista 64-bit can use up to 8 GB of RAM effectively. If you have more than 2 GB of RAM, this is a huge advantage.
-Improved Security - This is a two-fold advantage. First off, 64-bit processors make possible several security features that protect the operating system against attack. For example, the 64-bit Vista includes a feature that prevents unsigned drivers from being installed, while the 32-bit version does not and cannot offer the same protection. Second, the Mac-factor applies here. Since few people use Vista 64-bit, very few viruses are written for it.
-Ability to work with 64-bit applications - Several popular applications that use a lot of CPU power are available with 64-bit accelerations. These applications will run faster under 64-bit Vista than 32-bit Vista. If you use one of these applications (you'll know it if you do), you will notice a difference in speed.

The disadvantages of 64-bit include:

-Decreased compatibility - Drivers must be written specifically for 64-bit Vista to work with it. Also, because of the extra security features, drivers must be signed to be used with 64-bit Vista. Many devices do not have signed 64-bit drivers available.
-Less support - Some software technical support companies do not offer support for Vista 64-bit
-Requires 64-bit processor: Obviously, if you have an older 32-bit processor, you cannot run Vista 64-bit.

So, which version should you run? My advice is to check to make sure all of your devices have 64-bit drivers, all of your often-used applications offer 64-bit support, and you have a 64-bit processor. If you meet these three criteria, you should buy the 64-bit version of Vista and enjoy its extra benefits. Otherwise, buy the 32-bit version.

You may wonder how to get a 64-bit version of Vista. If you buy OEM (I will explain that a few sections later), you must buy the 64-bit specific version. If you buy retail (boxed version), you can request a 64-bit DVD from Microsoft at their website (you must pay a small shipping fee). If you buy the Ultimate edition of Vista, it already comes with a 64-bit DVD.

The next decision is:

Which Edition Should I Buy? Vista comes in four editions: Home Basic, Home Premium, Home Business, and Ultimate. The differences between the editions are:

-Home Basic does not include any extra features and also does not include the Aero interface, laptop support, or Windows Meeting Space

-Home Premium includes the Aero interface, a media center program, a movie maker program, a DVD maker program, and a few games

-Home Business includes the Aero interface, a comprehensive backup utility, a fax and scan utility, and a remote access utility

-Ultimate includes the Aero interface, everything in Home Premium and Home Business, hard drive encryption, and a game manager utility

So, how do you decide which edition you need? First off, see if you meet the recommended system requirements to run the Aero interface. If not, you might as well stick with Home Basic.

Otherwise, decide if you want the Aero interface. It is a cool-looking 3D desktop environment that helps you multitask more efficiently (and impress your friends). I like it and recommend it. If you want it, upgrade to Home Premium.

Next, decide if you need the extra business features of Home Business. If so, upgrade to it.

Finally, decide if you need the entertainment features of Home Premium and the business features of Home Business. If so, upgrade to Ultimate.

I chose Home Premium, and it is the edition I recommend unless you need the special features found in Home Business or don't meet the recommended system requirements.

Microsoft's Instant Upgrade feature is very helpful if you cannot decide if you need the extra features of the higher editions. You can start with any edition (I would start with Home Premium) and upgrade to a higher edition later by paying the difference in price. The extra features of whatever edition you upgrade to will be automatically enabled without you having to download anything. This works because all four editions of Vista are included on the CD - the extra features simply aren't installed unless you pay for the upgrade.

After choosing an edition, you must choose upgrade or clean install:

Upgrade or Full Version? Each edition of Vista is available in two versions - the upgrade version and the full version. Both versions include the same operating system and the same files, but each will act differently when you install it. The full version will erase everything on your hard drive and install a copy of Vista. The upgrade edition will uninstall your old operating system and install Vista while attempting to keep your old files, settings, and programs.

I recommend installing the full version (often referred to as a "clean install") for several reasons, including:

-Any dangerous viruses, spyware, and other programs will be removed. The upgrade version may copy these programs over.
-You will get to start over with a fresh system. If your computer is slow right now, installing the upgrade version of Vista will keep whatever is making it slow on the system.
-A full install of Vista does not require much extra work. You'll just have to reinstall programs and backup your data before you start. Besides, even with the upgrade version, you'll probably have to update most of your programs anyway.
-The full version makes recovering from a computer crash much easier. Let's say you get a bad virus on your computer and need to erase (reformat) the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. If you have the full version, you simply pop in the disc and restart your computer. If you have the upgrade version, you'll have to find your old Windows XP disc (or whatever version of Windows you're upgrading from), install it first, and then install Vista on top of that.

Now that I've convinced you to buy the full version, I'll show you how you can get it for cheaper than the upgrade version:

OEM or Retail? The version of Vista that you see in a box on the store shelf is called the retail version. This is the version that most people will buy. Another version exists at online stores, however, called the OEM version. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer and is a cheaper version of Vista meant for system builders. Anyone can buy it, however, at many popular online software stores. The differences between the OEM version and the retail versions of Vista are:

-There is no upgrade OEM version, only the full version
-The OEM version does not include a box or manual
-The OEM version does not include technical support from Microsoft
-If you upgrade to a new computer, you cannot reinstall the OEM version onto it (this shouldn't be an issue, however, since any new computer today has Vista already installed).

If you can stand these disadvantages, do what I did and buy the OEM version. It costs less than half of the retail version! All you have to do is go to an online software site and buy the OEM version along with any piece of hardware (the license requires this). Look for something you need, or buy a $5 flash drive to use as a ReadyBoost drive for your new Vista operating system.

Will it work? Finally, you must make sure Vista will be compatible with your programs and devices. To do this, start by making a list of the model numbers and manufacturers of every device installed on your computer. This includes sound cards, video cards, joysticks, printers, scanners, CD drives, mice, and everything else that requires a driver (monitors, keyboards, and speakers generally do not). Check the website of each manufacturer and see if they have a Vista driver available for your device. If you want the 64-bit version of Vista, make sure they have a 64-bit driver available. Any device that does not have a Vista driver available will not work when you upgrade to Vista. If you run into one of these (generally older) devices, call the manufacturer to make sure they don't offer Vista drivers. If they don't, you'll have to upgrade the device or learn to live without it to upgrade to Vista. Sorry. :(

Yet another item you need to check is your motherboard. Go to its manufacturer's website and make sure the chipset is compatible with Vista. You may need new chipset drivers for Vista to work properly.

Next, make a list of the programs you use most often. Check the manufacturer's websites and see if they are listed as compatible with Vista. Sometimes, you will need to download an update for Vista compatibility. In this case, programs that do not specifically say Vista-compatible will probably still work with Vista (unlike with drivers). Nevertheless, it’s best to call the manufacturers of the programs you need the most to make sure they will work without problems.

Once you choose, buy, and receive your desired version of Vista, you should start preparations for the upgrade whenever you anticipate having two complete days of free time. If you have free time on the weekend, start preparations Thursday.

Continued in next post.

Getting Ready: There are several things you must do before upgrading to Vista to make sure your upgrade goes off without a hitch. If you don't follow these steps, you may run into trouble later.

First, download Vista drivers for all of your hardware devices and put them into a folder. Make sure you get 64-bit drivers if you are going to use 64-bit Vista. This step is one of the most important steps, because your computer will not be fully functional until you install new drivers.

Second, download updates to all of your commonly-used programs. Many of these programs had bugs in them when Vista came out that were only recently resolved. Put these along with the drivers onto a CD or flash drive.

Third, get out the installation discs for all of your programs. I recommend you install the full version of Vista, but even if you choose to install the upgrade version, you still may have to reinstall some programs to get them to work correctly. Getting the installation discs ready is always a good idea.

Fourth, back up your data. Once again, do this even if you are going to install the upgrade version. Don't trust Vista to properly transfer over your important data. To start with, backup the Documents and Settings folder. This folder contains the personal files (My Documents, My Pictures, Desktop...etc.) for everyone on the computer. If you know of any other folders where you store personal data, back them up as well. If you're worried you'll forget something when it's too late to get it back, backup the whole hard drive (except the Windows folder, which is huge and will almost never contain personal data).

If you are going to install the upgrade version, you should run virus and spyware scanners to make sure malicious programs aren't copied over to your new operating system. Also, you should defrag the hard drive to speed up the installation.

Installation: Once you're done preparing for Vista (can take a day or two), you're ready to begin the installation process, which I will go over next. This is also where I will start the actual reviewing of this review; I will describe my opinion of the installation process and how easy it is. Since I did a clean (full version) install, it is the only installation I can describe. The upgrade version may install differently. Overall, I think installation is pretty easy. It takes longer than Windows XP, but it also requires less user interaction than XP.

Before you start installing Vista, get out your backup discs and open the files on them to make sure they haven’t been damage. The last thing you want to do is wipe out everything on your hard drive only to discover that you must have accidentally scratched your backup discs. Once you verify that your backups are okay, you can start the installation.

First, put the Vista DVD into your DVD drive and reboot the computer. If all goes well, the system will boot to the Vista disc, and you'll see a progress bar as setup loads the drivers it will need during the installation. If the system does not boot from the CD, you'll need to change the boot priority settings in your BIOS. The procedure for doing this depends on your motherboard.

After about five minutes, you will see a dialog box. You must choose your language, time and currency format, and keyboard layout.

Next, you'll see an options screen. Under most circumstances you'll want to click the big "install now" button.

Vista will continue to work in the background for the next minute or two. When it's done, you'll need to enter your product key and read and accept the license agreement. I know you probably won't read the license agreement, but make sure you understand that you can only install Vista onto one computer (it was that way with XP, too, but now Microsoft enforces it).

The next screen asks you which hard drive you want to install Vista to. If you have more than one hard drive, make sure you choose the fastest drive that you never remove from your computer (i.e. don't install Vista to a portable external hard drive). On this screen, I recommend you choose your hard drive and click "advanced options". In fact, in some circumstances, you may have to use advanced options before Vista will install.

On the advanced options screen, click "format". Windows may ask you for a quick format or a full format. The quick format will be fine, and it is a lot faster. Windows will then ask you to confirm that you want to format your hard drive. This is the point of no return. Once you format your hard drive, your files will be virtually gone (completely gone if you do a full format), so check one more time to make sure you have those backup discs, and let Windows format the drive. I recommend formatting your hard drive when doing a clean install to make sure it really is clean and doesn't leave behind a mess of old file fragments.

Now, take a break and do something on your to-do list. Vista will install itself autonomously, which can take up to 60 minutes. It took about 45 minutes for me. While you're gone, Vista will restart itself several times.

When Vista is done installing, it will present you with the account creation screen. This is where you set up accounts for each person who will use your computer. You should also set a password for your (the administrator's) account here. With Vista's new UAC feature, a strong password is very important.

The next few screens will ask you to name the PC (so you can find it on a network), configure Windows Update (I recommend the option that says "recommended options"), choose your time zone and daylight savings settings, and choose the location of your computer for network purposes. When you make it through all of these settings, Vista will thank you for installing it and proceed to start itself for the first time.

While starting for the first time, Vista will measure the performance of your computer (to determine if you can run the Aero interface), ask you to log in with the password you just created, prepare your "personalized settings", and present you with a welcome screen. Congratulations! You just installed Windows Vista! There are still a few things you need to do before you are completely finished, however.

First, you need to get your computer connected to the Internet. There is a button on the welcome screen that will help you do that.

Second, you need to run Windows Update to make sure you have the latest patches. You'll find Windows Update on the start menu.

Third, it's time for the preparation you did to pay off. A normal person would be scouring the Internet for drivers about this time, but since you prepared before hand, you've got it easy! You should now install all of those drivers you downloaded before you started.

Fourth, you can get your computer back to the way it was before you started. Install all of the programs that you need and update them. Get out your backup discs and restore your important files (the documents and settings folder is now called "users", by the way). Change settings such as font, resolution, and background to make your computer feel like it's yours again.

So that's it! Here are some tips for using Vista:

-Do not disable UAC: I cannot stress how important this is. It may be annoying for the first few days, but please, resist the temptation to disable UAC. If you try to disable it, Vista will warn you about five times not to, and it is right. The feature, often misunderstood as a way to prevent new users from messing up their computers, actually provides most of Vista's increased security over XP. Make sure you read about UAC and fully understand it's purpose before thinking about disabling it.
Activate Windows as soon as possible: Vista will want you to activate as soon as you can. Do this early do you do not forget and let the activation window expire. It only takes a few seconds on the Internet or a few minutes by phone.
-Install anti-virus and anti-spyware programs right away: Vista is the most secure version of Windows to date, but it still isn't bulletproof. Windows Defender is good, but not as good as a dedicated anti-spyware program. You should install anti-malware programs early to keep Vista clean and fast. I specifically recommend AVG Antivirus and Spybot Search and Destroy Antispyware. Both programs are free and do not bog down your computer and hog memory. The one antivirus program I think you should avoid is Norton. It slows down your computer and is expensive. You do not need to buy a firewall program as the Windows Firewall is sufficient.
-Try out the links in the Welcome Center. They provide information about key new features in Vista that you may find helpful.
-Visit the Help and Support Center on the Start Menu. It is much better than the help center in XP and can actually teach you a lot about what's new in Vista.

And now, 7,320 words later, you’re done! Thanks for reading this guide. I hope you found it helpful. Have a great time with Vista!

It's a great guide, but I'd edit that to say just Business to avoid confusion. To the best of my knowledge as well, there never was a Home Business. A google search for that name doesn't turn anything up. The name alone is a contradiction of audiences. That being said it's a very minor point, and the guide is useful.

There are a couple of factual errors you have in your guide.

One, it is possible to install Vista with only a CD-ROM drive : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/ordercd.mspx. MSDN actually provides the CD-ROM images and I've installed Vista on an old Compaq Evo D510 upgraded to 768MB of RAM : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...TypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=96302&lang=en&cc=us.

Which leads to my second point, you can also install Vista on a machine without DirectX 9 support, you can even use XP video drivers as I have to with this old Compaq.

Of course this isn't the fastest thing on market by far, but its quite usable for basic web surfing. My wife had some friends that were in the market for a basic web surfing machine, and they agreeded to by buy a copy Vista Home Basic and this hardware for $250 with me setting it up for them included, they are complete tech noobs for I think its a fair price including home setup and delivery.

I was going to put XP Home on it but I think that Vista will serve them a little better from a security standpoint at the cost of a little speed.

Actually, the performance is pretty good, except OpenOffice is a real dog. I'm might try testing Office 2007 on this rig to see if it performs better.

Back