Vista Upgrade Help

wxkid23

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

Im currently running XP 32-bit home premium. I bought the 32-bit Vista home premium "upgrade" and tried to install last night and it was fine until the end when it starts the Windows scrolling screen it immedietely flashes a blue screen and restarts. I looked up the code (lost it now) and it was something that could be a lot of things... I believe it was some random code for a lot of things.

Im upgrading my CPU/Mobo within the next cpl weeks as soon as I get the Q9550 (waiting for drop in price any day now) ...i'll be swiming from my current DFI Lanparty to the Asus P5K Pro. I have decided to just wait (I rolled back to XP) until the mobo/cpu switch to try Vista again as I don't have the time to sort through all the possibilites of this current conflict and it seems fresh install is a much better option than upgrading. I would of launched into safe mode to try but I don't know if that disables the ability to rollback to XP I was getting from the Windows boot manager.

Anyways-

What exactly am I going to need to do? I had this computer built for my by a friend who is no longer around and am doing this by myself for the first time. I believe my hard drives (2) are set up in Raid-0 ... as is shows NVIDIA "stripe" ...

I still have my original XP disk around somewhere... obviously I will need to reinstall XP after my mobo change and then install a fresh copy of Vista after install XP SP2 etc. Since I want to do a fresh install... how do I go about formatting or erasing the current hard drive to prepare for this? Hopefully this makes some sense...

No.... was just trying to upgrade the XP to Vista..

If I wait for the mobo switch I will be wanting to just do a clean install of XP so I can use the Vista upgrade cd to do a fresh install of Vista

Read the Sticky in this section on how to do a clean install with retail Vista Upgrade. It works great.

Your not going to be able to read your existing RAID once you change your MB, so it will have to be a fresh install. I don't think you want to upgrade and then change MB.

Thats the super sucky thing about vista, you have to format just to do a mobo change, xp you can do the enum trick in regedit.

Do I even need to worry about doing anything to my current XP until I switch MB? After I switch the MB does my new BIOS have settings to format my existing files/install and then fresh install XP or what? Obviously the stuff would still be on the hard drive/drives..

Back