Vista upgrade.

sylva

Limp Gawd
Is the Vista upgrade cd/dvd coming with both the 32 and 64 bit versions? I am running both XP32 and XP64 and thinking about upgrading to Vista 64 because some hardware manufacturers simply don't upgrade their products' drivers to XP64 but only Vista 64. This is mainly M-Audio, whose products I own. They don't have 64 bit drivers for their fairly recent Axiom 61 keyboard, and for their Delta 44 sound card (excellent) they only have a beta which, for the time being, doesn't work on my system.

Thanks for anyone's 2 cents. Sylva.

Vista DVDs contain one or the other: 32 bit editions, or 64 bit editions. You can't bit both types of Vista editions on a single-layer single DVD, they simply won't fit.

If you ordered an upgrade of some kind - or you had hardware that was entitled to the Express Upgrade (that's over a year old now, not even sure it's still legit), then there's like a 99% chance the DVD you'll get is for the 32 bit editions of Vista.

There's really no way to know till you get it and install it, sorry.

As for the 64 bit driver thing: there is also a 99% chance that a Vista x64 driver will work fine with XP x64, actually. Might take some editing of a config file to get it installed, but I've yet to find a Vista x64 driver I couldn't use with XP x64 without issues (aside from a config edit I had to do for a soundcard driver once). The issue at hand: most drivers for audio with Vista - not just Vista x64 - are coded differently because DirectSound doesn't exist in Vista - but it does in XP x64. Something to consider...

Thanks Joe "Average" for the knowledgeable reply. I did programming professionally but it was 12 years ago and not in any really applications oriented language. Could you please indicate what would be some of the modifications? You don't need to give me the programming, just what kind of modifications you're alluding to.

Thanks, Sylva

Back