Vista will not read back-up DVDs?

Willsonman

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, so I have made a back up of a movie awhile ago in XP using DVDshrink. So I go to view the dumb think in vista ultimate 64-bit and my optical drive is uninstalled?!!? yeah, I sit there and watch the drive dissappear in my computer. Gone in device manager. Tried using a nromal dvd and it works fine... WTF?!?!

edit: Just checked on an xp machine and it works fine!

Can you play commercially produced (retail) DVD movies OK on your Vista installation? Lets rule out any larger issues -

He said a normal dvd works fine.

Ahh, I misread that as the normal DVD works in XP.

Which computer did you use to create the DVD? Was it the XP machine that you tested it on?

Test the DVD on your home DVD player or another XP box to make sure it isn't related to session data or a proprietary format.

Yeah, normal DVDs work fine in vista. Backup burned in XP before I installed vista. Played on Home player and works fine.

Do you have Nero installed on your Vista machine? If so, would you be willing to temporarily uninstall it to see if that resolves the issue?

do you have DVD Shrink installed on Vista? Same thing... try uninstalling it. Or at the very least, once your DVD drive disappears, open DVD Shrink on your Vista machine as administrator (right click the shortcut...) and see if your DVD drive reappears...

Even though it works on a regualar dvd? I was thinking DRM at first too, but I doubt it.

Alrighty. I got the drive a year and a half ago new so I doubt the RPC1 issue is there. Just updated firmware, uninstalled dvdshrink and nero..... Same thing. Drive model is NEC ND-3540A if that helps at all.

Alrighty. I got the drive a year and a half ago new so I doubt the RPC1 issue is there. Just updated firmware, uninstalled dvdshrink and nero..... Same thing. Drive model is NEC ND-3540A if that helps at all.

Thanks for testing that! I have a few more places I'll check - let us know if you can think of any other possibly pertinent info.

Drives should never disappear ;-)

hey just to double check....is the DVD a standard DVD-Video disc? (ie will the disk play in a standalone, set top box DVD player?)

I would guess Vista's DRM is helping you out.

Keith

ARGH!! get it right people, Vista'a DRM simply lets you PLAY / Open protected DRM media it DOES NOT PREVENT YOU FROM PLAYING YOUR PREVIOUS content, so all your downloaded movies wont be blocked by Vista or your ripped Cd's.

I'm playing a burned movie DVD in Vista right now. It works fine.

ARGH!! get it right people, Vista'a DRM simply lets you PLAY / Open protected DRM media it DOES NOT PREVENT YOU FROM PLAYING YOUR PREVIOUS content, so all your downloaded movies wont be blocked by Vista or your ripped Cd's.

people need this drilled into their heads.

Vista does not prevent previous content or uncopyprotected content from playing at any resolution (say hello to my little 1080p movie playing at 1920x1200 on my dell 24" 2405FPW via DVI with no problems)

Backed up dvds playing fine for me on vista home premium. just tried a copy of The 40 yr old virgin I ripped with dvdshrink long ago.

I guess I need to double check my settings in dvdshrink. AnyDVD did the trick. Thanks for that nasty. Freakin stupid if you ask me. I hope this spawns a rebellion against the powers that be.

Back