Vista + Wireless + 60 sec lag spikes = SOLVED

Really weird. Did you contact your notebook manufacture to see if there was an issue with the wireless capabilities?

I just used the XP driver for my Linksys card and Vista anti-lag to stop the lag. It still lagged with the Vista driver

Some people can try that if the want something simple.
I think I left something out. I used the Ralink chipset driver. 1.0.3.0. rt61.sys. I did this like a year ago and forgot about that.

Found this info on a WoW forum after searching through Google. Nothing gets between them and their game :p

I think I left something out. I used the Ralink chipset driver. 1.0.3.0. rt61.sys. I did this like a year ago and forgot about that.

Found this info on a WoW forum after searching through Google. Nothing gets between them and their game :p

LOL.. Hey, can you add to this thread, with a step-by-step instruction on how you got it to work for you and your setup. It would be really cool to have this [H]ard|Forum thread as a consolidated "Fix Vista Wireless Lag" thread.

Just of note: If you're seeing spikes like this it can also be caused by Powersaving modes of certain wireless drivers. We've seen similar issues in both XP and Vista at work as a result of this. It appears to be from ramping up and down the wireless power of the card constantly.

Usually you will find a way to disable this through the Driver properties -> Advanced tab.

This is just something to try and every driver is different. Seems to be common with older Intel WLAN cards though.

Hello!

I followed your guide (and many, MANY other solutions i found on the Internet, but none of them worked for me! :(

I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64; the Dlink WRT54G router, and DLINK DWA-110 USB WIFI adapter.

I keep getting the 60 sec lag. I cannot disable the service WLAN AUTOCONFIG, since as soon as i do it, it kills my Wifi connection.

I tried your code (netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="connection name") but when I tried the Ping test and i still keep getting the lag spike each minute.
I've also disabled the power saving setting

I've also tried both VAL and WLAN optimizer, and i still get the lag spike each 60 seconds, although it does seem that the spike doesn't last as long as before, it's still there.

I've also unchecked that box you mentioned.

Then i tried using 3rd party software to detect wireless networks, but as soon as disable WLAN AUTOCONFIG, this programs do not detect my USB WIFI adapter.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I've been trying to deal with this since yesterday morning, and still no luck!!!! :(:(:(:(

Just wanted to thank the OP, you've solved a problem I've spent many hours trying to fix ... cheers, mate.

holy ___ wow. Thanks man! This has been driving me crazy since I built my new computer...

Lag spikes = tiny freezes whenever using internet?

Cause I got this edimax card w/ ralink drivers on vista 64 ultimate that I use for wireless internet, and I get little freezes EXACTLY 40 seconds between (used a YouTube video to help figure that out). NewEgg.com reviews stated there are stutters, this write-up is supposed to attempt to fix it right? I'll try it it tomorrow morning, hopefully it works, thanks!

Edit: took 5 minutes to do it, basically you create icons to disable and enable the WLAN and uncheck that little box. Didn't work at all though ='( Annoying problem $5 PayPal if we figure this out lol ^_^

Half the information wasn't needed and most of the screenshots weren't really needed. Decent job though.

Uh oh I turned my computer off last night w/ WLAN disabled now when I restart I can't connect to the internet. Tried reactivating with the command line and the icons we created nothing is working >='(

So I have been playing games with this problem for a week now and I'm sick of it. Spent the last hour or so trying to fix it. I remember when I first installed my card it wouldn't work, I had to use WLAN Autoconfig to get my internet working.

I have a MSI PC60G Wireless 11g turbo G PCI card, I connect to a linksys router WRT54G I think.

My packet loss seems to be 3.5-5% with or without wlan enabled. I did uninstall the MSI config utility and restart already. Not sure where to go from here, maybe get vista anti-lag?

edit: also the time outs I get with Ping Test are random...I can't report the results to a text file though because I don't feel like paying for it. Checking for new networks is off, have the files to disable/enable and they don't seem to be changing anything for me...

Hey guys!

I was having the exact same problem as you guys: Vista Home Professional 64-bit kept on causing lag spikes when I was playing TF2. I tried the fix officermartinez had suggested, but unfortunately that did not work for me. I did find an alternative fix however.

Download SP2. I just installed it and I was able to play 40 minutes without experiencing one lag spike. Hopefully, the lag spikes are gone for good *knocks on wood*.

It's a really strange problem. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Hopefully in SP2 MS finally fixed whatever was causing the problem.

My Specs for the curious:

AMD Phenom II X3 2.6ghz
4gb DDR2 800
Radeon 4870 512mb
Gigabyte GN-WP01GS PCI Wireless Adapter

I use a program called VAL vista antilag. that works great for me when I was on wireless

I'm fairly certain this is a problem with your particular wireless hardware and/or the drivers for it.

I've played with quite a bit of wifi kit (*cough* >_>), and I've only ever seen this issue with one wifi adapter. Swapping the card out instantly solved the problem.

i think so too. I have this evil card and i have this problem on windows 7 x64. I plugged in a ethernet cable and all my problems went away. Doesnt help me though because I cant run the cable it was just to test if the problem was the card. This linksys 4.1 ran fine under XP drivers but the vista drivers are garbage.

I'm fairly certain this is a problem with your particular wireless hardware and/or the drivers for it.

I've played with quite a bit of wifi kit (*cough* >_>), and I've only ever seen this issue with one wifi adapter. Swapping the card out instantly solved the problem.

I don't know about that...with how widespread the problem is I bet it's with quite a few different wireless cards then. My last wireless card actually had this issue built in - no way of getting around it so I got a new one...MSI PC60G, worked fine in XP but has this issue in vista.

So I've been using the 2 icons on my computer for 4 months fine now but wish the problem would have been fixed. Oh well, windows 7 in the near future.

I signed up to say that this worked a treat. Was getting terrible lag spikes which made playing L4D and TF2 a chore. Pingtester confirmed that they were happening at 60s intervals. Now I've got my trusty bat files set up :D

I'm also using an Edimax card, which had some dodgy Ralink drivers, so they've been replaced with the latest Edimax 64bit Vista drivers, which seems to have improved my signal no end.

Mighty happy that there's a solution.
Cheers

Back