Vista won't boot with only HDTV (DVI -> HDMI)

ScArE2100

Limp Gawd
I have a Sony KDL s4100 hdtv. I've been using it with my htpc for months using the built on graphics of the asus p5q-em and hdmi. I decided to upgrade the graphics card because an 8800 gs came to me. When i put the card in and try to boot the computer, vista won't boot. I can see the bios screen but before vista starts to boot the screen turns black and then nothing happens.

My first thought was "oh windows is trying to display a mode my hdtv doesn't understand" so I rebooted with just the 20"lcd and installed the latest nvidia drivers and tried again. I tried several resolutions (640x480 1280x720 1680x1050) nothing worked if the hdtv was plugged in by itself.

Now the weird part.

If I boot with dvi to my 20"lcd it works fine. If I boot dual display with my 20"lcd and the hdtv it works fine. If I boot headless (no display) it boots and then I can plug in the hdtv and it works fine. If I boot with the tv powered off but plugged in, windows never boots. If I try to boot with just the hdtv: again nothin.

I'm so confused about this, any advice?

It is the darndest thing. My only guess is potentially hdcp related, but i have no idea how to fix it!

right my my workaround for anyone having this issue is as follows:
1) unplug htpc from hdmi
2) boot pc into windows
3) plug hdmi into htpc
4) login and use pc normally
5) try not to shut down or restart.

Better than not being able to use it at al I guess. Next step is reinstalling Windows. Maybe I'll wait for the Win7 RC.

It is a problem between the 8800 series and Sony TVs. I have the same problem with my 8800GT and my Sony XBR4.

Do you know any workarounds besides what I posted? Do you know of anywhere where sony/ms/nvidia recognize the problem? Is there a community somewhere where people are having the issue?

Thats the only way I know how to get it to work. I asked over on the AVS forums and got that answer, noone I found has a solution.

unless you set your computer to go to sleep which I am sure you do not because after it goes to sleep you will have to unplug and plug your monitor back in to get it to work, I would invest in a new video card.

The cost of energy to leave your computer on would equal a new video card in 5 months time.

Back