VLAN capable switch.

TGA

Gawd
I am ordering a switch today for my network upgrade and I am looking for some advice. I am doing a 2 stage network upgrade to my house.

First stage I am working on now and involves replacing my current router with a PFSense box and VLAN capable gigabit switch.

The second stage will come when winter is over. At that point I will be rewiring my house and installing multiple ports in each room along with new phone and upgrading to RG6 cable.

For my first stage I will be fine with a 8 port switch. I think I have settled on the netgear GS108T. However it is listed as not stackable and I take that to mean I can't buy 2 of these and run one off the other?

Now thats not too much of a problem since I don't need every port in my house to be Gbit. I can get another netgear 10/100 + 1000 VLAN switch and connect the GS108T to that. Down side is it looks like netgear seems to have discontinued the 16 port router I would use for this and I don't want to be stuck having to buy a 24-28 port switch when it comes time for stage 2.

I suppose another option is I might be able to mix brands but since I am dealing with a managed switch I would rather stick to one GUI to manage them.

So, do I stick with Netgear or do I go with another brand? If something else can I get a recommendation on what? I could make all my planed drops with a 16 port router if I can find one for the right price.

Actually stackale referese to being able to plug them in via a cable (generally either fiber or special made cable) and run them as one switch using the same backbone (so to speak). No unmanaged switch is going to have that capability, and not all managed will either.

I don't know how much they run but I have completely loved my Cisco 2960G (mines a 24 port though). You can get an 8 port too. My whole home network is Cisco so I am partial :p

Well I was trying to keep the cost for switches at $200 or less but I am willing to spend up to about $250.

The Netgear seems promising at $99 for the 8port if I can add a second one to the first with no issues when I start phase 2 of the upgrade. As far as I can tell the Netgear has a nice warranty too.

Looking at the HP ProCurve line that was also on the short list I had. I could go with a HP J9079A 10/100 +1000 8 port and a HP J9029A 10/100/1000 8 port. I don't need all my drops to be gigabit. But the cost would be more like $240 and end result would be a half 10/100 and half 10/100/1000 network for more money.

From what I have been seeing on newegg the cost to go Cisco would be even more. Maybe you guys know somewhere else I should be shopping for this gear? But I want NIB with warranty so eBay is out.

And while I would like to spread the $200-$250 investment in switches out over 2 purchases I have looked at larger single units but to get multiple gigabit ports I have to go with something that seems way over kill like 28ports and cost more like $300. I also like the idea of having 2 separate switches since if one would fail I can at least rewire things to keep the bulk of my network up while waiting for replacement.

Take a look on fleaBay....I just saw one of the 8 port 1800 Procuves still wrapped in the box for 139 bucks "buy now".

Hard to beat the Lifetime Warranty on the HP Procurves.

Personally since down the road you'll be using more than 8 ports I'd just get a single 16 or 24 port switch. Keep a super cheap 10/100 around for "emergency backup".

I appreciate the input but I kind of like the idea of using 2 switches to keep at least part of my net work up should one fail.

Also the ProCurves I am looking at seem to be almost silent while the thin Cisco you linked would almost have to make some noise.

I think I have decided on getting a ProCurve 1800-8G from the egg for now. Then when it comes time for stage two in a few months I will decide if I am going to get another 1800-8G or the 1700-8G and save few dollars.

Thanks guys, the order still wont be placed for a few hours so I am still open to suggestions.

The one I linked is a Netgear, and yea, it isn't fanless, so it would make some noise.

Sorry about that I must have opened the link then looked at on of the Cisco switches I had open.

Still not convinced am am getting much by spending $50 more on the HP over the Netgear I was looking at. But I do like the design of the HP and from the pictures I have seen it has bolt holes on the side for mounting in some kind of rack. So I should be able to make a mount for it really easy rather then letting it sit on a shelf.

Edit: Actually I like the design so much I might have to look for an older used one so I can rip out the guts and put my PFSense PC in one too.

Back