VMware beta for Mac OS

i have it installed i should get around to do something with it in my next set of days off

but first i have to make space for the macbook on my desk :mad:

As soon as my baby arrives it's getting loaded. I'll let you know how it runs.

I'm getting a C2D 2.16 Ghz 24" iMac so you'll know the basic specs. 2GB RAM should arrive tomorrow. :)

As soon as my baby arrives it's getting loaded. I'll let you know how it runs.

I'm getting a C2D 2.16 Ghz 24" iMac so you'll know the basic specs. 2GB RAM should arrive tomorrow. :)

tasty. Let us know how it goes.....

Anyone want to offer a comparison between VM's offering and Parallels? I've used VMware quite a bit before, so I'd be reluctant to use anything but this 'Fusion'.

That is, unless Parallels offers something really great that I don't know about?

Anyone want to offer a comparison between VM's offering and Parallels? I've used VMware quite a bit before, so I'd be reluctant to use anything but this 'Fusion'.

That is, unless Parallels offers something really great that I don't know about?

I don't know what VMWare is offering... but Parallels has the ability to use your bootcamp partition as the drive it boots from in the Virtual machine instead of having to install a new copy of windows, that way you only have one install to manage as well.

AND you can use windows programs outside of actual windows using Coherence mode. They float around with your OS X windows outside of the virtual machine.

Those are two of my favorite features anyway...

Parallels is very well matured and they release updates often.

I used the free beta... Nothing amazing... I like parallels better.

BTW, I was driving down the highway yesterday and I drove by the huge VMware building :D Right here in Toronto Canadaaaaa

Wow. thats pretty cool VMware is in Canada. I didn't realise.

Back to the software though.. does anyone know if parallels can read VMware image files?

I'm still holding out hope for this. Parallels was the first one out the door with a virtualization app for OS X. This is the very first VMware beta so I expect it to only get better. VMware has a significantly awesome product for the PC so I would think the OS X version will get a whole lot better as time goes on.

My verdict is in, I''m neither impressed or disappointed. As stated already, it's more or less identical to VMWare Workstation 5.5x.

Using it is easy but has the same limitation as the Windows version.
  • You have to click inside the VM machine to control it until the OS is installed and you install the VMWare tools. These only work in certain OSes and only when the OS is fully started up
  • The CD/DVD ROM drive support is annoying. If you have a disc mounted on the desktop, Fusion can't use it. If you unmount the disc, OS X ejects it. You have to connect to the drive in the VM first, then insert your disc. Annoying and not practical.
  • Networking is the same as the PC version. The NAT and Host only options are not working currently
  • You can't edit any of the virtual machine settings other than number of CPUs and amount of RAM. If you don't specify the drive size when you create the machine from the start, you're stuck. It is a Beta though
  • The CPU utilization is minimal. I stated my machine specs above, had a 512MB RAM XP VM installing Windows, WoW running 1600x1000 in window mode, Ventrillo and iTunes running with no slow down on any front. WoW, iTunes and Vent run fine together but there was no noticable slowdown from Fusion. This doesn't hold true for the PC version.

I haven't tried Parallels yet but I'm putting more interest in it after hearing apps aren't jailed to the VM window like they are with Fusion. Plus the full version is only $79.99 Still kicking myself for not getting it when it was only $49.99 though...

Off-topic my machine came with a single 1GB stick of RAM and Newegg has a 15% restock fee for returns so if anyone is interested, I have a spare 1GB SO-DIMM that works in any Macbook, Macbook Pro or Intel iMac that I'd like to sell and/or trade.

I used the free beta... Nothing amazing... I like parallels better.

BTW, I was driving down the highway yesterday and I drove by the huge VMware building :D Right here in Toronto Canadaaaaa

That's not exactly correct. EMC bought VMWare and they're based out of Boston, MA. The Toronto building is a regional office for the VMWare brand.

That's not exactly correct. EMC bought VMWare and they're based out of Boston, MA. The Toronto building is a regional office for the VMWare brand.
based near boston, in hopkinton. i didnt know vmware was bought by emc. anyone know how much, and when?

Back