VMware blog, upgrade ESX, do what?

defuseme2k

[H]ard|Gawd
http://blogs.vmware.com/esxi/2011/11/upgrading-to-esxi-5-vs-doing-a-fresh-install.html

I've read enough of Kyle's posts to know he's usually competent. This one has me wondering if he has lost it or I have.

The whole point of his post is considerations of upgrading vs fresh installs of ESXi when moving to 5.0. What I don't get, is why he's suggesting it is possible to 'upgrade from' ESX? He makes that really weird statement just above his third and final "consideration" saying that it applied to ESX only. I figured I'd ask here before I posted in that blog's comment section. I don't understand why ESX is being entertained as anything other than a fresh install?

you can upgrade. It pulls relevant information, converts what it has to, and repartitions as needed. Did it on 2 boxes - worked well on one, badly on another.

I've performed an ESX 4 to ESXi5 upgrade both with VUM and ESXi installer CD in the lab. About to perform one with the installer CD for a client this weekend on a single host.

yeah, I can't complain about the one that went "bad" - it had VCD on there, and that horked things.

Sweet. Goes to show you, I learn something new all the time. This is the first release this was possible (to my knowledge), and that is very cool.

Back