VMWare? MS VPV07? What?

JonDoms

Gawd
I have a requirement to simulate 100 - 2000 PCs total consisting of (Windows XP, 2000, Redhat Linux, and some Solaris / FreeBSD boxes) logging in, accessing a webpage, accessing some shared drives that are mapped eiter through windows or NFS and maybe login via a webpage.

What Virtual Server type software should I use?

How many WinXP can I virtualize on one box?

What are the requirements to do something like that?

What should that box look like? (Quad Core?, 16GB mem? What Mobo? HDDs?)

I am getting budget to build 1 PC first to simulate as many Clients as I can to do this.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

I'm assuming the purpose of this is strictly load simulation (to see what a server can withstand)?

I'm assuming the purpose of this is strictly load simulation (to see what a server can withstand)?

Yes. Sorta. Not a server but a Network Device that tracks based on completion of a Java client responding with some query generated session ID, IP address, and Mac Address.

Don't want Mercury Interactive or anything like that.

I would say the smallest amount of memory you can allocate for XP would be 64MB of RAM... That would be dog slow in a VM, but it should still run. So figure 64MB per machine, then calculate how much RAM you have. If you have 1GB, then say leave 128MB for the real machine that would be about 14 VM's

This is entirely a guess though. These VM's would be useless in a real production environment due to memory limitations, and process limitations.

That's a good idea.
I was thinking of boiling down my XP installs to less than 128MB of memory each and than figuring out the max amount of Memory I can put on a Mobo with Windows ???? server and VM ????

To keep it lean and mean, I'd say use Windows 2000 Server. And if this is just an experiment, then there is no point in spending a bunch of money on a VM, so get VmWare Server for free of of it's web site. You have to register for a Demo Key, but the Demo never expires, and is totally unlimited.

Sounds like testing that might best be done with tools like IOMeter from Intel designed specifically for server load testing like what I think you're trying to accomplish. I can't imagine someone trying to load up anywhere near 100 VMs on a single machine for that kind of purpose, if that would even be possible (I'm sure it is, but the processor/RAM requirements simply can't be done with PCs).

Sounds like testing that might best be done with tools like IOMeter from Intel designed specifically for server load testing like what I think you're trying to accomplish. I can't imagine someone trying to load up anywhere near 100 VMs on a single machine for that kind of purpose, if that would even be possible (I'm sure it is, but the processor/RAM requirements simply can't be done with PCs).

Ehhh close but not really. What I'm trying to stress load is a network device that tracks IP addresses, MAC addresses, and a HTTP get with a unique cookie / session-id, that I do not know what the secret sauce is to generate (It's based off of some Anti Virus scan engine). If I knew what that HTTP get packet was I could blast it with TCP replay or any network load tester. But since it's a unique session ID that has to be valid based on some valid algorithm I am screwed and resorting to using real PCs that can crunch the simple Java applet to return the session ID. Also it would be nice to be able to stress test the captive portal functionality of this network device.

Back