VMware on sbs 2003 - Network messed up

Hey everyone,
So someone decided it was a good idea to install VMWare server on the SBS 2003 server to run the 2000 server machine. And now I'm stuck to clear it up...

So anyway, the 2000 server was moved and works fine. But bigger problems with the SBS. It seems to have messed the network settings. I cant access files or exchange or anything from the server, its like a firewall is running but I cant see anything. AV has been removed, but windows firewall says something else is using Ipnat.sys.

any suggestions cause I'm bashing my head off the desk here.

cheers?
G

sounds like vmware server is using your network interface in NAT mode, which may cause some problems. Try switching it to bridge instead of NAT.

Ok, bit more testing.
The SBS can get online fine, and I have a Sonicwall VPN from my laptop. Using the NetExtender software.

From the server i have net access, and can get a ping reply from the sonicwall and the laptop over the VPN.
From the laptop i can ping the sonicwall fine, but not the sbs. when the VM is running i get full access and ping replies from the VM

sounds like something is firewalling, but what? I am not familiar with server so much as I am with esxi.

On Server 2003 the firewall service cannot even start unless you have 2x network adapters enabled....if you're running single home it should not start.

I've never installed VMWare Server on an SBS box....I've run SBS in ESXi plenty of times. But...if the firewall service is running or trying to on SBS...then SBS must be seeing 2x NICs.

What you have to do with that information...I dunno..maybe unbind that second NIC from server and workstation services.

windows firewall isn't started, and there is no ISA server.
I have gone into the VMWare network editor and removed the 2 virtual adaptors. the server only see's one port now. still no joy.

Back