vmware-vmx cpu usage for no reason

Toytown

Gawd
Hi

I've had this problem with Vmware Workstation for some time, but as the cpu of host was almost always idle it never happened. I have a desktop system with a c2d ,Vista x86 installed with vmware workstation 6.5 and a very small linux guest running just cacti on it.

The problem i get is that whenever the host does something, the vmware-vmx process jumps up and grabs the cpu for about the same time. For instance i encode a video using FFMPEG on the host, during the encode the vmware-vmx usage will use a full core of the system, so 50% to ffmpeg, 50% to vmware-vmx. I run a very small website on the host (50page views a day), same thing, whenever somebody views a page, the cpu usage on the vmware-vmx process jumps up as well.

I've learnt to live with it in the past, as its never been a problem, but somebody gave me 1000's of small clips to encode and its taking an age to do it on the system as im only really getting 50% usage out of the core. Also during this time, the guest is almost inaccessible (http requests).

Anybody got any ideas? I seen the same usage with vmplayer, my company had workstation thats why i gave it a go.

vmware-vmx.gif

EDIT - LOL, i think i sovled it already. When restarting the guest i noticed it had 2 processors, so i shut it down again, assigned it only 1 and restarted it. It seems to be working perfectly now. Will report back if its still an issue.

Last edited:
Back