VOIP & wifi

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I am new to the whole VOIP thing, and it seems some people here are familiar with it.

I would like to setup a phone at the house to use google voice, and I am not sure what I need to look for in terms of hardware.

I have wifi, and I have a decent connection at the house.

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_p...=1705&cPath=266&m1track=googlebase#googlebase Looking at this guy, this looks like it would be a plug and play setup? Again, no idea where to start.

well first of all whats your speed package from your ISP? that would help else little bit more on helping you pick out a good ata adapter and etc for you.

that would help else little bit more on helping you pick out a good ata adapter and etc for you.

What difference would it make? G711 which is one of the higher bandwidth codecs only requires 64kbit/sec line, any broadband line is going to be more than capable of that, and nobody would try running voip of dial up.

there is different codec's that is going to may require alot more bandwidth that is why I am asking about his broadband specs.

Umm, actually G711 uses pretty much the most bandwidth of any of the codecs. With overhead it's more in the range of 80-85Kb/s, but that should be in range of any Internet package today.

//sits for a moment disturbed at the visual of Scotty's account title...

:D

Scotty, the thing about VoIP isn't so much the overall bandwidth, it's the QoS, the ability of your primary firewall/router to keep the VoIP packets in the high priority queue. So that other internet traffic doesn't cut in line and affect the quality of the call. For a while I ran VoIP on a 1.5/384 DSL line. With a couple of computers online at the same time. In my current house I had Vonage for a whlie, 6/384 cable line at that time. More than enough bandwidth. If I had a cheap router in there...without QoS, if someone was doing stuff online with their PC, while you were on a phone call...you could notice when traffic got clogged up..the quality of the conversation got poor. Lag, echos, or sounding like the speakers of a cheap clock radio underwater in a fish tank.

Getting a router that supports QoS helps. What helped the most, was back then I installed PFSense, which has even more specific QoS settings for VoIP. When I used that..it didn't matter what else was going on with other computers in the house..the boy could be downloading with fury, or playing his online games...didn't affect the call quality at all.

Sadly my PFSense box recently went out of commission for a while...it was a 12" ultra portable Thinkpad X40 with one of those hard to find small 1.8" hard drives...which gave up the ghost. Back to my basic router w/Tomato for a week or so.

I run UT at the house, I think there are some QOS/voip settings.

The thing I am trying to find is a phone that I can use over wifi on my network to work with google voice, so I can use all of the features. Sure, I got GV on my BB, but I want one account setup for just the house.

Back