Volume extension not working in Vista

jcazes

Limp Gawd
I recently expanded my Adaptec card's RAID5 array from 1TB to 3.2TB, but for some reason Vista is not properly expanding the volume. The partition is GPT (so there shouldn't be a 2TB limitation), and disk management DID let me "extend volume", but the actual partition has not changed its size. See image for reference:

dmgmtlatesthu6.jpg

Any ideas? I don't understand the discrepancy.

DISKPART should be able to do what you want by expanding it, though I can't understand why it wouldn't extend it the "easy" way through Disk Management.

Adaptec OCE takes a long time; did you finish OCE'ing before you tried expanding your logical partitions?

I checked out DISKPART and it was also misleading. Here's a screenshot:

diskpartpw0.jpg

I don't understand why DISKPART and DISKMGMT would say one thing, but Vista would say another. Why can't everyone just play nice?

Here's another shot that may provide more info (although I still don't understand it):

diskpartdetaildt6.jpg

Interesting that the volume capactiy is only 930GB, but the volume actually spans 3TB...

I just converted it to dynamic and everything still appears to be the same. I was not able to extend any further in diskpart, and diskmgmt is still showing the discrepancy in sizes.

Another bump in the road....!

I tried flashing the card's bios to the latest from Adaptec's site. Everything seemed to go as planned in the Adaptec storage manager, but after I restarted the computer the card's bios would not start. I tried reflashing the bios to a previous version (using bootable USB), but that also didn't work. MAN this is a pain in the ass.

Back