VP930b backlight problems... what to replace it with?

loft

Limp Gawd
So... I'm on my THIRD VP930b with the SAME backlight 'X' problem.

I'm giving up on ViewSonic, and was wondering... what should I replace it with? I'm very skeptical of LCD's now, but I love the crispness, etc... :(

Any suggestions on what I should get? Prefer 19", 8ms R/T, and thin bezel :\

This is really depressing. You'd think after the second one, I'd be lucky and get one that works the way it's supposed to. :(

loft said:
So... I'm on my THIRD VP930b with the SAME backlight 'X' problem.

I'm giving up on ViewSonic, and was wondering... what should I replace it with? I'm very skeptical of LCD's now, but I love the crispness, etc... :(

Any suggestions on what I should get? Prefer 19", 8ms R/T, and thin bezel :\

This is really depressing. You'd think after the second one, I'd be lucky and get one that works the way it's supposed to. :(

Is this with the default *sun* brightness settings? I have one, and it came so bright, it was unusable as it stood. Naturally, set like that, with the screen all black, it showed some backlight issues. Once I configured it to a usable range of brightness (I'd have to check, but I think it is at 50 or so using the configuration software) and colors, it was fine. I can still make out a very slight backlight in the corners if I set it all black and in a dark environment, but then again, I never use it that way (all black in a dark room), so it matters little.

Albert

Albert Silver said:
Is this with the default *sun* brightness settings? I have one, and it came so bright, it was unusable as it stood. Naturally, set like that, with the screen all black, it showed some backlight issues. Once I configured it to a usable range of brightness (I'd have to check, but I think it is at 50 or so using the configuration software) and colors, it was fine. I can still make out a very slight backlight in the corners if I set it all black and in a dark environment, but then again, I never use it that way (all black in a dark room), so it matters little.

Albert

Very noticeable with the brightness turned down to 40. I do a lot of gaming and movie watching, and it's horrendous in movies/games.

I spent 3 hours manually calibrating it at one point. (I can't use the calibration software because I use Windows XP Pro 64bit and the software that comes with it isn't supported.)

Thanks for the response... I just don't know what to do at this point.

loft said:
Very noticeable with the brightness turned down to 40. I do a lot of gaming and movie watching, and it's horrendous in movies/games.

I spent 3 hours manually calibrating it at one point. (I can't use the calibration software because I use Windows XP Pro 64bit and the software that comes with it isn't supported.)

Thanks for the response... I just don't know what to do at this point.

I can't really help you. I can say that I really do have the same monitor and no complaints. However, I can REALLY sympathize. You see, when I got the monitor, bought from NewEgg, and brought from the US to me by my sister (I live in Brazil), the XFX 6800 I had bought along with it worked for exactly 24 hours. Then it died. I RMAed it of course. This meant $22 to send to NewEgg from here. They replaced it, and sent it to my uncle in Florida, since they do not ship overseas. No exceptions. This meant paying an extra $28 to have him ship it here. The new card arrived after one full month, and worked for exactly... 2 days. Another $22. I requested a different model, but no exchanges allowed. So figuring I was already paying $100 more for a plain 6800, I decided to ask for a refund and pay the difference for a 7800GT. The one listed in my (non-updated) profile. Another few weeks, and it came via a friend, and.... it was close to DOA. It showed horrific corruption the minute it turned on. 2 months, more than $400 down, and nothing to show for it except a bunch of RMA papers. To make things worse, the model was out of stock, and my uncle was due to arrive today. So, I ordered an eVGA card (another 7800GT) overclocked at 470/1100, and an Arctic Cooler (can't believe it is bigger than the card itself), which arrived... less than 2 hours ago. Let's hope this baby holds the fort. It had better, since by this point this thing has cost me roughly $500, and I haven't been able to enjoy it. I'll update the profile only after I see this thing working.

Albert

I really like my Hyundai L90D+. All the goodies, 8ms, and only $299 at the Egg.

-Larry

Albert Silver said:
I can't really help you. I can say that I really do have the same monitor and no complaints. However, I can REALLY sympathize. You see, when I got the monitor, bought from NewEgg, and brought from the US to me by my sister (I live in Brazil), the XFX 6800 I had bought along with it worked for exactly 24 hours. Then it died. I RMAed it of course. This meant $22 to send to NewEgg from here. They replaced it, and sent it to my uncle in Florida, since they do not ship overseas. No exceptions. This meant paying an extra $28 to have him ship it here. The new card arrived after one full month, and worked for exactly... 2 days. Another $22. I requested a different model, but no exchanges allowed. So figuring I was already paying $100 more for a plain 6800, I decided to ask for a refund and pay the difference for a 7800GT. The one listed in my (non-updated) profile. Another few weeks, and it came via a friend, and.... it was close to DOA. It showed horrific corruption the minute it turned on. 2 months, more than $400 down, and nothing to show for it except a bunch of RMA papers. To make things worse, the model was out of stock, and my uncle was due to arrive today. So, I ordered an eVGA card (another 7800GT) overclocked at 470/1100, and an Arctic Cooler (can't believe it is bigger than the card itself), which arrived... less than 2 hours ago. Let's hope this baby holds the fort. It had better, since by this point this thing has cost me roughly $500, and I haven't been able to enjoy it. I'll update the profile only after I see this thing working.

Albert

I totally understand. I've never had a problem with the 'Egg, and I'm dealing directly with ViewSonic for this issue. You think that they would be able to get it right... seeing as they make the stupid monitor.

I am running a VP191b at home and I am about to buy a matching one(from the only store I can find that sells for below 500) because I was so impressed, I really dont like the way that the VP930b looks or preforms(well the backlight issues that is).
PM me if you want the link to the website

Sorry about your VP930b I really like viewsonic just have heard so many problems with that model

My VP930b also had that problem. I wasn't even gonna bother exchanging it, I demanded full refund plus shipping back from newegg.

silentsammy said:
If you still are dealing with Viewsonic, perhaps the VP920b might be better. Seems to be a similar monitor, but has less contrast in exchange for a way faster response time. Here's the linky on the egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116380

If yer a gamer this one might be better.

Built in speakers are icky. Bottom portion of the bezel is clunky... but who knows.

I doubt ViewSonic would give me a credit or anything, so I'll have to call them and see.

Back