VPN software?

I am trying to help someone with a computer issue but they are a few thousand miles away and they know not much about computers so i will have to vpn into their pc to fix it. I cannot ask them to setup a vpn connection because they wouldn't know how and they would not understand me if i tried to explain so i am here asking if there is VPN software out there that they can install that would take a lot of the guess work out of it so i can vpn in?

i hope i made sense.

You mean remote in? A really really easy way to do remote assistance is by using Windows Live Messenger. The user who needs help opens a chat window with you, goes to Actions>Request Remote Assistance. You can then accept the request. They can choose to share their screen with you or give you control of the keyboard and mouse at that point.

We use LogMeIn Rescue. If you want something free, you can walk them through setting up a LogMeIn Free account (comes with a free trial of Pro).

LogMeIn Free

/thread

Or if you are looking for more of a Windows Remote Desktop solution (unlike LMI's VNC like solution), you can use LMI's Hamachi to VPN in and then use Windows Remote Desktop.

TeamViewer > all the rest when it comes to remote support...easiest period..and free
You don't need the cumbersomemess of setting up a VPN.

logmein free is working far better than i expected. i created an account, had the other person install the logmein software plus the account info that i made and it is pretty much shoot and forget. it loads up at start up so they don't have to do anything after they install it and i can log in at any time to work on it.

just thought i update. thanks for the help.

+1 for TeamViewer. I use it with some clients I have that are out-of-town, and it is hands-down the easiest solution. Client runs small QuickSupport program, you remote in, solve the problem, and you're done.

Back